Greatest boxer that never beat an all time great

Dela Hoya fought everyone and came up short against every A level guy. Hoya is about as good as you get and be short.

Paulie I don't think beat anyone A level.

Juan Diaz was a B level champion.
Chavezx2,Whitaker, Quartey, Vargas, Ruelas, Hernandez? Surely those have to be A level guys.

Saad Muhammad got wins over very good, tough boxers (Conteh, Johnson, Lopez) in memorable bouts, but none of them were ATGs.

Last edited:
Mike McCallum? Depends on how good you think Julian Jackson is.

Collins has one of the better SMW resumes ever. Kalambay was an excellent fighter on his day. McCallum should probably have a win against Toney, too. Jackson was obviously damn good. Not sure I'd call any of them genuine all-time greats (outside of Toney), but still a very impressive resume (and it was hardly McCallum's fault that he didn't get in with any of the Fab 4).

Collins has one of the better SMW resumes ever. Kalambay was an excellent fighter on his day. McCallum should probably have a win against Toney, too. Jackson was obviously damn good. Not sure I'd call any of them genuine all-time greats (outside of Toney), but still a very impressive resume (and it was hardly McCallum's fault that he didn't get in with any of the Fab 4).

And the likes of Harding, Graham, Kalule, Watson and Curry make his record a pretty staked one. The guy is nothing short of great. That being said he wasn't lucky in the first Toney fight. The draw deprived him of a win over a genuine ATG. I think he fits the thread's topic pretty well.

Last edited:
I don't blame Mike either and agree his resume is great, I just think it's an uphill fight to say those guys are all time greats.

It has a lot to do with the popular perception of his weight class, but Finito Lopez might count. You could argue that some of his opposition were great in their own right, though.

I came here to post this.

López was great, crying shame he never got to beat Chiquita or Carbajal.

hmmmm chacon? ramirez? that’s one of the best eras of bantam-featherweights
I wouldn't say any of those guys are great though. Great era, but calling Ramirez and Chacon ATGs is a stretch to me.

Apart from Clinton Woods then Nas is the one that jumps out, Calzaghe is also a shout as beat no ATG in their prime ( Kessler is mint, but no ATG).

Back