Greater Legacy: Gomi or Sakuraba?

You can make a case for both but I would pick Saku. Keep in mind Saku was considered the top fighter in pride before they had champions.

Both guys had great runs (in different eras) and beat alot of great fighters, so no disrespect to Gomi who was also a beast in his day.

Saku for me. However, both were great!!!

You can't say Gomi was a better LW than Penn. BJ beat him handily in his prime and has a better resume. Saying Gomi is the best LW ever is just dumb.

This here. I didn't want to go on at too much legnth in my own post about this because there's no reason to denigrate Gomi, but he is simply not the best LW of all time. He lost repeatedly in his prime (Penn, Aurelio, Hansen, Diaz).

He had some amazing wins against some of the best at the time (Sakurai, Pulver, etc) and is undeniably one of the best LWs ever, but I see no convincing argument to plant him as numero uno.

You can't say Gomi was a better LW than Penn. BJ beat him handily in his prime and has a better resume. Saying Gomi is the best LW ever is just dumb.

not in his prime for one. Coming off his first ever loss.

You show your ignorance when you say that.

First time ever in the cage.

Literally in Bj's back yard in Hawaii

Bullshit stand up call in the second round with Gomi on top when top game used to be Gomi's bread and butter then.

Bj does NOT have better resume at lightweight.

AT ALL.

This here. I didn't want to go on at too much legnth in my own post about this because there's no reason to denigrate Gomi, but he is the best LW of all time. He lost repeatedly in his prime (Penn, Aurelio, Hansen, Diaz).

He had some amazing wins against some of the best at the time (Sakurai, Pulver, etc) and is undeniably one of the best LWs ever, but I see no convincing argument to plant him as numero uno.

Fixed

I find this question insulting....

It's like asking who has a greater legacy. Mike Jordan, or Patrick Ewing....
tis indeed a head scratcher. gotta be the smallest niche group on sherdog. the "saku might not be the greatest Japanese fighter ever" douchebags

not in his prime for one. Coming off his first ever loss.

You show your ignorance when you say that.

First time ever in the cage.

Literally in Bj's back yard in Hawaii

Bullshit stand up call in the second round with Gomi on top when top game used to be Gomi's bread and butter then.

Bj does NOT have better resume at lightweight.

AT ALL.
Penn is better everywhere. He beat Gomi. Let's compare best wins.

Saku will be remembered as a mythical legend. Not that I'm saying Gomi isn't a legend. Still a big fan of both guys.

WAR THESE MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

kazushi-sakuraba-ufc-hall-of-fame-2017-video.jpg

takanori-gomi-8.jpg

Saku. Gomi over Saku because of belts? Seriously? If there was a normal weight division for Saku, of course he'd be champ.

Saku seemed more like a fearless warrior with guts and heart to comeback from a beating to win by finish. Gomi gets knocked down once and it's all over. I also remember Gomi for the bunch of times he's doing barely there distraction GNP shots and looking up at the ref as if begging the ref to call it a win for him. Same thing against Nick Diaz, pointing at Nick's swollen eye wanting the ref to give him the win.

Saku faced scary guys much bigger than him and held his own or subbed them.

I choose Gomi.

Saku is close but he never reached the pinnacle of the sport. Saku may have done more memorable things. But he was never a champion. He was never no. 1 in the world. Never the best. Gomi, on the other hand, was the best. That's the difference maker.

Gomi with his belts

TakanoriGomi_BeltsBushido10Press.jpg

Gomi drinking a beer

gomi-drunk-better-o.gif

Saku drinking piss

DSC_0058.jpg

OUTTAH HERE, U BUM!

tankout.jpg

Lmfaaooo here's saku drinking piss.

I disagree with you but you're now one of my favorite posters.

Back