Great wrestlers who are/were surprisingly easy to takedown?

Abel Trujillo - four-time NAIA All-American

Khabib took him down 21 times....in one fight.

Gsp took down hughes right away in first fight. Nobody expected that,least of all hughes which is probably why he wasnt ready for it. Gsp had balls going for that.

Jon Fitch, he had good offensive wrestling, but couldn't stop any takedowns... it was really bad.

Couture had problems against the bigger guys at Heavyweight. But if he got on top... watch out for some nasty ground and pound.

Tony ferguson, he comes from a wrestling background

Brian. He was in my grade 8 class. Guy could wrestle like a fucker, but 1 hit on the back of the neck with a television learned karate chop...boom. I got suspended for 3 days, but was so fucking worth it.
1513559102144.jpg

As said in this thread, Yoel Romero despite his credentials gets taken down a lot. I'll actually attribute why this is to his good wrestling. He knows he can get right back up, so he throws caution in his TD defense to the wind in order to do his freaky shit.

Bermudez was taken down a shit ton by Fili, and I feel the reasoning was similar to Romero, but it screwed him in the end.

Ferguson I feel also falls into this category. He's very confident in his BJJ and scrambles, so he doesn't put as much focus into actively trying to defend take-downs, but instead in the stand-up.

It's usually the wrestlers who mainly use their wrestling as a deterrent so they may strike unabated while their opponent is hindered by the threat that they them-self pose.

This is why I think TD's where the opponent pops right back up without any sub attempts or GnP should not count for more than 1 significant strike. Dom's TD's against Dillashaw, Fili's TD's against Bermudez, etc.

How many seconds after this did he have a heart attack or stroke?
He didn't, and it's probably good. Otherwise my suspension would have been a week. Even the girl he was talking to never expected it.
I
Am
The
Man
1512605184340.jpg

Shogun never had great wrestling but he stands out as a guy who’s defensive wrestler was way worst than his offensive wrestling. Condit too.
Agreed about Shogun. His offensive wresting is actually really good. Defensively, he sucks.

DC has actually been easier to takedown than I would’ve thought. Gus and Rumble both got him down. And of course Jones did too.

Not a single one could keep him there.

Don't make a Jon DuPont / Dave Schaultz joke

Back