Great wrestlers who are/were surprisingly easy to takedown?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sometimes you see great amateur (collegiate/Olympic) wrestlers who are great at taking their opponents down and but were also easily taken down by their less credentialed opponents?

I don’t mean when the better wrestler was rocked or extremely tired but when they are fresh and got taken down easily.

Dan Henderson stands above all others.

Guy had the best chin in the history of MMA so he could get away with running in head first striking wise, it didn't work so well when guys ducked for a double.

Dan hasnt really grappled much for a long time. Just relying on starching guys with big punch.

DC has actually been easier to takedown than I would’ve thought. Gus and Rumble both got him down. And of course Jones did too.

romero the olypic silver medalist was taken down by brunson like 3 times atleast

Chaels defensive wrestling is nothing to write home about. I wouldn't say it's shit but it's far from great.

Lindland against Bustamante....I was surprised at how much Murillo dominated the takedowns

man, it happened lately, a guy with a wrestling background got taken down easily several times, it was not even three months ago but I cant remember who it was damn it.

Sometimes you see great amateur (collegiate/Olympic) wrestlers who are great at taking their opponents down and but were also easily taken down by their less credentialed opponents?

I don’t mean when the better wrestler was rocked or extremely tired but when they are fresh and got taken down easily.
Dennis Bermudez, especially against Fili. wasn't expecting that at all.

DC vs Jones I, I think DC overlooked Jones takedown ability in the second fight Jones wasn't having the same success.
Jones getting taken down by Gus was a major surprise.
I think I recall Maia getting a few takedowns against Chael in the clinch, but Chaels wrestling defence all that great from the clinch, he has shown to be overpowered and susepectible to trips.

If it were a straight wrasslin match those TDs wouldnt land near as easy on those folks. Its a fist-fight.

But Yoel, he would give you a couple even in wrasslin. Its the Cuban way/tactic, they lull you in thinking you are winning, then no, they beat you in the end.

Shogun never had great wrestling but he stands out as a guy who’s defensive wrestler was way worst than his offensive wrestling. Condit too.

Yoel comes to mind, he gets taken down by random no-credential fighters all the time.

Yoel,

Taken down by

Brunson
Jacare
Weidman
And most likely Rockhold

Then again, all of those guys are huge and wrestles.

Yoel,

Taken down by

Brunson
Jacare
Weidman
And most likely Rockhold

I think Ronny Markes got him down as well.

Yoel,

Taken down by

Brunson
Jacare
Weidman
And most likely Rockhold

Crazy that he gets taken down so much. You gotta fed close to do that to him though and that’s dangerous.

Back