Great Republican Lie (tax "reform")

Tax cuts are a horrible way to stimulate the economy for general prosperity. Plus promised tax cuts by any candidate smack of bribery to the voting public. Anyways, taxes are too low for personal income and functionally too low for corporations / businesses so the wisdom of this tax cut is down the shitter. Just look at the train wreck that was the Reagan Tax Cuts.

Per WSJ

GOP Makes Change to Child Tax Credit in Bid to Satisfy Rubio and Lee

Republicans will make more of the child tax credit refundable in a last-minute concession to Sens. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) and Mike Lee (R., Utah), potentially clearing one of the last big hurdles to passing the plan.

Taxpayers without income-tax liability will be able to get $1,400 of the $2,000 per-child credit. That is up from $1,100 in the version that passed the Senate. It wasn't clear if that change was enough to get the two senators' support, and it wasn't clear where Republicans found the money.

See More Coverage »

Tax cuts are a horrible way to stimulate the economy for general prosperity. Plus promised tax cuts by any candidate smack of bribery to the voting public. Anyways, taxes are too low for personal income and functionally too low for corporations / businesses so the wisdom of this tax cut is down the shitter. Just look at the train wreck that was the Reagan Tax Cuts.
Yeah, it's a gift to donors. The repeal of the mandate which will fuck up healthcare to find money for those cuts is the part of this that burns my ass the most.

Yeah, it's a gift to donors. The repeal of the mandate which will fuck up healthcare to find money for those cuts is the part of this that burns my ass the most.

Its a shitty bill. It should have raised taxes on the rich and made childcare fully deductible.

Its a shitty bill. It should have raised taxes on the rich and made childcare fully deductible.
Yeah agreed.

And I'll just add that if they really insisted on a tax cut it could have really been geared towards the middle class instead of corporations, large pass-throughs and high income folks while lying that it's geared towards the middle class.

It's total garbage to add the mandate repeal to offset cuts too. If you want to do healthcare do it in a separate bill.

Lol Corker is now for the bill even though nothing at all has changed regarding the deficit.

Fake budget hawk indeed.

Bloomberg just lambasted the bill.

http://time.com/money/5066014/billi...onomically-indefensible-blunder/?xid=homepage

Last month a Wall Street Journal editor asked a room full of CEOs to raise their hands if the corporate tax cut being considered in Congress would lead them to invest more. Very few hands went up. Attending was Gary Cohn, President Donald Trump’s economic adviser and a friend of mine. He asked: “Why aren’t the other hands up?”

Allow me to answer that: We don’t need the money.

Corporations are sitting on a record amount of cash reserves: nearly $2.3 trillion. That figure has been climbing steadily since the recession ended in 2009, and it’s now double what it was in 2001. The reason CEOs aren’t investing more of their liquid assets has little to do with the tax rate.

The largest economic challenges we face include a skills crisis that our public schools are not addressing, crumbling infrastructure that imperils our global competitiveness, wage stagnation coupled with growing wealth inequality, and rising deficits that will worsen as more baby boomers retire.

The tax bill does nothing to address these challenges. In fact, it makes each of them worse.

Literally "I don't like this because I'm alone and miserable"

The Grinch competition is gonna be stiff as fuck this year. I think Trump will one-up everyone by firing Mueller on Christmas Day.

Lol Corker is now for the bill even though nothing at all has changed regarding the deficit.

Fake budget hawk indeed.

Bloomberg just lambasted the bill.

http://time.com/money/5066014/billi...onomically-indefensible-blunder/?xid=homepage

Last month a Wall Street Journal editor asked a room full of CEOs to raise their hands if the corporate tax cut being considered in Congress would lead them to invest more. Very few hands went up. Attending was Gary Cohn, President Donald Trump’s economic adviser and a friend of mine. He asked: “Why aren’t the other hands up?”

Allow me to answer that: We don’t need the money.

Corporations are sitting on a record amount of cash reserves: nearly $2.3 trillion. That figure has been climbing steadily since the recession ended in 2009, and it’s now double what it was in 2001. The reason CEOs aren’t investing more of their liquid assets has little to do with the tax rate.

The largest economic challenges we face include a skills crisis that our public schools are not addressing, crumbling infrastructure that imperils our global competitiveness, wage stagnation coupled with growing wealth inequality, and rising deficits that will worsen as more baby boomers retire.

The tax bill does nothing to address these challenges. In fact, it makes each of them worse.

My experience with corporate taxes is that they provide an incentive for corporations to spend the money on improvements instead of paying it in taxes.

Where do they come up with what they call the middle class? Seems like you have to make over $200K/year to be included in this "middle class" tax cut.

It's a very straightfoward cashgrab of epic proportions.
There is no "reform"; that word is where the lie starts.
It's just a giant tax cut.

It's a very straightfoward cashgrab of epic proportions.
There is no "reform"; that word is where the lie starts.
It's just a giant tax cut.
Indeed, and that's just one examples of many other lies, like this actually increases taxes on the rich (which is laughable) and it's primarily a middle tax cut and that it will lead to enormous growth. All big giant lies!

It's federal, so depends on where you live with state tax added in. If you're in CA or NYC and in the top tax bracket, you're going to pay a lot more than you were. The corporate tax rate just got lowered to middle of the pack with every other 1st world country.

It's federal, so depends on where you live with state tax added in. If you're in CA or NYC and in the top tax bracket, you're going to pay a lot more than you were. The corporate tax rate just got lowered to middle of the pack with every other 1st world country.

CA, NY and NJ are just going to change their tax code so the portion of the SALT deduction which was lowered is considered a "chartable donation" (federal government actually recognizes state government agencies as charitable institutions for purposes of the federal deduction). Once this is done, the federal deficit is going to grow by a lot more than the 1.5 trillion which was previously reported.

CA, NY and NJ are just going to change their tax code so the portion of the SALT deduction which was lowered is considered a "chartable donation" (federal government actually recognizes state government agencies as charitable institutions for purposes of the federal deduction). Once this is done, the federal deficit is going to grow by a lot more the 1.5 trillion that was previously reported.
That also depends on spending. The deficit could grow with current spending levels, but shaving off a few bucks here and a few bucks there adds up. Tax revenue will probably stay around where it's always been.

Child tax credit going from 1k to 2k. I’ve got 4, so that will be very nice.

The effective rate (what tax payers actually pay) for corporations was already "middle of the pack" compared to other (non shithole) countries. This just lowers it for the really big, profitable guys.

Back