Great KARATE kyokushinkai

tekkennlee

Hot cars and fast girls
@purple
Reaction score
HISTORY of Kyokushin KARATE
Kyokushin founded in 1964 by Korean Masutatsu Oyama (大山 倍達 Ōyama Masutatsu, born Choi Yeong-eui. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mas_Oyama

Movie about him Fighter in the wind
FIGHTER IN THE WIND Trailer

Andy Hug & Michael Wedel - power of kyokushinkai

Andy Hug K-1 Andreas "Andy" Hug (September 7, 1964

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Hug

Tribute to Andy Hug

Great KARATE ---- your thoughts

LOVE THE ARTS ----- BE SAFE

Oh white belt you don't know what you've done. Once the poster who calls himself spacetime catches wind of your thread he's going to be all over you like flies on poop.

You're Doomed!!!!

HISTORY of Kyokushin KARATE
Kyokushin founded in 1964 by Korean Masutatsu Oyama (大山 倍達 Ōyama Masutatsu, born Choi Yeong-eui. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mas_Oyama

Movie about him Fighter in the wind
FIGHTER IN THE WIND Trailer

Andy Hug & Michael Wedel - power of kyokushinkai

Andy Hug K-1 Andreas "Andy" Hug (September 7, 1964

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Hug

Tribute to Andy Hug

Great KARATE ---- your thoughts

LOVE THE ARTS ----- BE SAFE

I saw that movie it was great. I love the part where they hugged at the airport or w/e. Bless Andy Hug.

i like kyokushin and kyokushin sparring
I am a goju practitioner.
But kyokushin is good.

i like kyokushin and kyokushin sparring
I am a goju practitioner.
But kyokushin is good.
I am a Shotokan practitioner but I echo what you said - Kyokushin is good, all respect to those guys.

BTW came to my mind recently how most ppl shit on Karate in the MMA sub-forums but nobody in their right mind would shit on Karate (esp. Kyokushin) in the K-1 sub-forums. Karate is legit standup and kickboxing fans know it.

Must.. resist.. kyokushin... thread!
.......failing!
Fighter in the wind is a great movie (if a little too anti-japanese propaganda), but it is based on a 60ies manga which in turn was loosely based on Oyama. It is not exactly a historical document.

I never really understod all the karate hate in the mma forums. A karate guy made it into the final of ufc1 (a kyokushin guy, even if he was labeled a savate guy since they already had a karate guy in the mix -he lost to Royce, but he was hardly alone in doing that) and many karate guys have placed well and taken titles ever since. Not all of them has been as pure karate as machida, but then again how many pure thaboxers have we seen in UFC?

ONE Championship has Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke, high level Muay Thai, and doing well in MMA. I like ONE FC, because it's heavy Asian oriented, so you see a lot more "exotic" arts as a base. A lot less wrestling, boxing/kick boxing.

How about current champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk?

Not her either. She competes in WMMA and as such uses Mixed Martial Arts skills to compete. She works on Judo and Jiujitsu for her grappling. Also, she isn't a pure/traditional nak muay. Her style is closer to Dutch Kickboxing and she changes alot of how she executes her techniques in the cage since she has tds to worry about. She didn't have that concern with muay Thai and thus no reason to make changes in her stand up execution.

I like ONE FC, because it's heavy Asian oriented, so you see a lot more "exotic" arts as a base. A lot less wrestling, boxing/kick boxing.

Same here. I basically like seeing Asians getting involved in mma in general.

Not her either. She competes in WMMA and as such uses Mixed Martial Arts skills to compete. She works on Judo and Jiujitsu for her grappling. Also, she isn't a pure/traditional nak muay. Her style is closer to Dutch Kickboxing and she changes alot of how she executes her techniques in the cage since she has tds to worry about. She didn't have that concern with muay Thai and thus no reason to make changes in her stand up execution.

???
It's the same with every single top MMA fighter. Even Machida trained grappling (Sumo and BJJ), and he even trained in boxing.

Joanna competed in Muay Thai for 10 years, winning 70 matches and six world championships and four European championships. I don't see how she's not a Nak Muay.

Of course you have to adapt your style and cross-train for MMA, it's the same with any Karate fighter too.

Last edited:
???
It's the same with every single top MMA fighter. Even Machida trained grappling (Sumo and BJJ), and he even trained in boxing.

EXACTLY! This is my point. It's MMA!! No one competing in mma is a purist.....NO ONE!

Joanna competed in Muay Thai for 10 years, winning 70 matches and six world championships and four European championships. I don't see how she's not a Nak Muay.

You should re-read my post. I never said she isn't a nak muay; I said she isn't a pure or traditional nak muay because of how she has to fight in the octagon (for good reason of course). If she was a pure nak muay and nothing else while competing in mma then she would not have gotten as far as she has in this sport.

EXACTLY! This is my point. It's MMA!! No one competing in mma is a purist.....NO ONE!

You should re-read my post. I never said she isn't a nak muay; I said she isn't a pure or traditional nak muay because of how she has to fight in the octagon (for good reason of course). If she was a pure nak muay and nothing else while competing in mma then she would not have gotten as far as she has in this sport.

shinkyoku described machida as pure karate, which is fair enough, and then asked about pure Thai stylists. Joanna is an example of that. My understanding of "pure" is that it's their base and they use a lot of techniques from it when fighting.

It's quite obvious that anyone with a base in just one grappling or striking art needs heavy cross-training and style adaption, that goes without saying. But it doesn't mean that they completely abandon their style. You recognise Karate in Machida, just like you can recognise Muay Thai in Joanna and a few others with a solid background in MT.

Playing with words is futile, you know what I'm saying.

shinkyoku described machida as pure karate, which is fair enough, and then asked about pure Thai stylists. Joanna is an example of that. My understanding of "pure" is that it's their base and they use a lot of techniques from it when fighting.

It's quite obvious that anyone with a base in just one grappling or striking art needs heavy cross-training and style adaption, that goes without saying. But it doesn't mean that they completely abandon their style. You recognise Karate in Machida, just like you can recognise Muay Thai in Joanna and a few others with a solid background in MT.

does she use the teep often enough to be called a muay thai fighter?

shinkyoku described machida as pure karate, which is fair enough, and then asked about pure Thai stylists.

Machida isn't a purist Karate fighter in mma either for the same reason (he trains jits and muay Thai). In fact, if you've watched enough of his fights you can see him use elements of the other combat disciplines in his fight game. He HAS TO do this in order to win.

Joanna is an example of that.

I disagree for the reasons I've already listed.

My understanding of "pure" is that it's their base and they use a lot of techniques from it when fighting.

And I have a different understanding. My understanding of "Pure" is that the fighter competes using ONLY that one particular fighting style with no additions or changes. No one competing in mma fits this definition that I am aware of. And I do not believe that a person will win too many (if any) matches if they did.

It's quite obvious that anyone with a base in just one grappling or striking art needs heavy cross-training and style adaption, that goes without saying.

This is what I've been saying all along and you saying the same thing pretty much puts an end to the discussion.

But it doesn't mean that they completely abandon their style. You recognise Karate in Machida, just like you can recognise Muay Thai in Joanna and a few others with a solid background in MT.

Bold: I ask again that you re-read my posts. I never said anything about anyone ABANDONING their style (don't know where you got that from). I recognize Machida using Karate in the octagon just like I recognize Joanna using Dutch Kickboxing. But I recognize them both using skills from other combat disciplines outside of Karate and muay Thai while they compete. Neither one of them is a purist according to my understanding of what a purist is.

Underlined: If playing with words is futile then I hope that I will no longer be accused of saying something that I did not say. Whenever I discuss things here with anyone on any topic all I ask is that people read my posts thoroughly and address what I said and not inject things that I did not say into the mix. That's all I ask. Besides, I believe that my understanding of "Pure" is more accurate when we examine the actual definition of the word "pure".

does she use the teep often enough to be called a muay thai fighter?

Definitively no. What she often does is set up her low kicks with jab-cross or jab-hook combo. She also does not use the 45 degree step with her pivot leg when she uses her low kicks to the leg nor does she put her hip all the way into it as you would see in a "Pure" muay Thai match. Her style is more Dutch Kickboxing which may or may not lend itself better for mma than traditional muay Thai. Either way, her execution is done in a way to which she can be on guard for td attempts by her opponents.

Joanne Calderwood uses more of a MT style. Lots of teeps, some elbows...

Must.. resist.. kyokushin... thread!
.......failing!
Fighter in the wind is a great movie (if a little too anti-japanese propaganda), but it is based on a 60ies manga which in turn was loosely based on Oyama. It is not exactly a historical document.

I never really understod all the karate hate in the mma forums. A karate guy made it into the final of ufc1 (a kyokushin guy, even if he was labeled a savate guy since they already had a karate guy in the mix -he lost to Royce, but he was hardly alone in doing that) and many karate guys have placed well and taken titles ever since. Not all of them has been as pure karate as machida, but then again how many pure thaboxers have we seen in UFC?

People just like to shit on striking styles that aren't muay thai when it comes to MMA. Even boxing gets a ton of hate. Most people don't know anything about the different styles of karate.

That's a really meaningless semantic argument that ignores the point of the conversation. It's not about someone being 100% pure, it's about them being a strong representative of that style.

Back