Great Deals Thread

DVOR has illuminated scopes on sale right now. Like a Burris XTR between 4 and like 15 power for under $1000 right now..

AXTS-TALON-BLACK-2.jpg

Axts Talon 45/90 safety selector 29.95 (it's 50% off)

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AX...Selector_2_Lever_Black_p/axts-talon-black.htm

I've had this particular model for a while now. What do you think of it?

And I keep forgetting about the weapons section on here.

I didn't buy that was just posting for others but I've had a 0350 for a while. I like it. I mostly use it for random stuff around the house.

Pretty sweet deal but I have to put gun buying on hold, I'm trying to get a snow mobile and a pack raft so that's taking lots of my extra funds.

Too rich fer me, I gotta some motorcycle shit.

I was always scared of motorcycles after my dad almost died on one when I was younger. Now that I'm living up north, snow machines are almost a necessity. I'm going to get a rifle holder and make some sort of a rest off the handlebar.

Pack rafts are a huge thing here too. It's huge. All the cool kids have them. Good ones cost like a thousand bucks though.

For real, pack rafting is awesome. There's so many chances for expedition type things, hike/fly in and raft out. Nice days fishing out on the lakes and rivers, white water, even glacial streams, whale watching in the bays. It's pretty cool, they don't weigh very much so you can just lash them to your pack. It's pretty awesome.

Week-month long river rafting camping/fishing/hunting trips....

I was always scared of motorcycles after my dad almost died on one when I was younger. Now that I'm living up north, snow machines are almost a necessity. I'm going to get a rifle holder and make some sort of a rest off the handlebar.

Pack rafts are a huge thing here too. It's huge. All the cool kids have them. Good ones cost like a thousand bucks though.

I got a prototype for just such a rifle rest. Was gonna call it the Mobile Precision Platform, (catchy name eh)

Let me see if I can find the pics, My intention was to make it environment adaptable, but I think mounted to a vehicle would work best.

I'll post some pics when I get home. you could easily make one yourself once you see it.

Last edited:
I need a S3F 9mm for my 23, barrel for my R700 receiver, and the scope to go with it so that Sig deal, however tempting, has to not be on my radar.

:(

@bushman505

You'll get the gist by looking at this thing:

1st prototype with rectangle aluminum:

IMG_3483_zpsfsilzd7i.jpg

IMG_3484_zpshus6j3bi.jpg

IMG_3485_zpspw9idovg.jpg

DSC00061_zpsk6rnmlad.jpg

DSC00062_zpswqhzeh3s.jpg

2nd prototype with angle aluminum, it was lighter and brought the rifle closer to the support pole.

IMG-20121229-00020_zpswi42kxbf.jpg

I wanted a two point portable rifle rest. that could still track up and down and side to side. (for varmint hunting)

Like anything there's pros and cons to a side mounted rest like this.

The cons were, the scope stand I used as a support made the whole thing a bit spendy for a marketed product. And the overall steadiness was somewhat dependent upon what you tied it to.

However being side mountable it could be mounted to the roll bar of a UTV etc... You could rig a bottom up mount too. I used a leftover valve spring from a chevy 350 engine when some goon I know rebuilt it. The thing tracked smooth, and the offset allowed for a long magazine. Plus the two point support for the rifle made it steady. It's like a machine rest.

The rectangle shape was more rigid and solid feeling.

Hey, It was an idea.

@bushman505

You'll get the gist by looking at this thing:

1st prototype with rectangle aluminum:

IMG_3483_zpsfsilzd7i.jpg

IMG_3484_zpshus6j3bi.jpg

IMG_3485_zpspw9idovg.jpg

DSC00061_zpsk6rnmlad.jpg

DSC00062_zpswqhzeh3s.jpg

2nd prototype with angle aluminum, it was lighter and brought the rifle closer to the support pole.

IMG-20121229-00020_zpswi42kxbf.jpg

I wanted a two point portable rifle rest. that could still track up and down and side to side. (for varmint hunting)

Like anything there's pros and cons to a side mounted rest like this.

The cons were, the scope stand I used as a support made the whole thing a bit spendy for a marketed product. And the overall steadiness was somewhat dependent upon what you tied it to.

However being side mountable it could be mounted to the roll bar of a UTV etc... You could rig a bottom up mount too. I used a leftover valve spring from a chevy 350 engine when some goon I know rebuilt it. The thing tracked smooth, and the offset allowed for a long magazine. Plus the two point support for the rifle made it steady. It's like a machine rest.

The rectangle shape was more rigid and solid feeling.

Hey, It was an idea.

That's nice man, nice skills too making something like that yourself. I'm impressed.

See something like that would be popular around here, where I'm at is a subsistance area so really, you could just snow machine up to a good distance and shoot 2-3 caribou and load them on the sled trailer and go home.

It's not the most sporting thing but around here folks actually hunt for survival (not me so much but I could). A rig like that would be quite useful.

I'm actually looking at a piece of land up in Tok that I want to buy and my wife is all about it, it's like 20 acres and has a rough cabin on it. Tok is famous for sheep and mountain goat hunting. And for 30k it's almost a steal.

I could do my trophy hunting up there and get moose and caribou up at my place by Fairbanks and when working down on the peninsula do the subsistance thing with those guys.

Kifaru has a new shooting stick thing out which looks good and actually I was on the mystery ranch website today, now they make holsters and rifle scabbards to fit their backpacks. Sorry off topic, just geeking out over gear.

That's nice man, nice skills too making something like that yourself. I'm impressed.

Ha! You're the first to say that of my down and dirty workmanship tactics..

A drill, some pliers, and a hacksaw: Boom!

Hell who needs a rack if you gotta a woman, let her hold the rifle while you drive?
15a38a32b9252c92752526a08d781fe6.jpg

Hell who needs a rack if you gotta a woman, let her hold the rifle while you drive?

Man I really like seeing stuff people make, re purposing stuff to make something useful is something that most of the western world has forgotten how to do.

Also, I think Polaris has re done that mountain hoop thingnon the handlebar, they made it lower because it hits younin the dick when you stand up.

Im more of a ski-doo guy than a Polaris guy.

I think that rig-job rifle rest of mine would go great on the roll bar of something like this:

adams_tami10_jpg.JPG

it could be dialed in parallel with the down tube, and dialed out when you get ready to sling lead.

A cheap version of this

b8a718dd89a6bc10933f3ef0ba84571c.jpg

See this kinda stuff is for imbeciles:
218683_ts.jpg

a single point rest is not worse a shit.

Back