Great attacks by Nicholas Meregali

rmongler

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I appreciate watching Meregali compete, since in some ways he is actually something like a throw-back, to times before certain malodorous memes became endemic in the popular consciousness of bjj, as a way for certain people to try and signal that they were distinguished from anyone else at the time (such as 'leg locks give up position').

This match gives a good example of how the threat of a leg attack on top can open up the rest of the passing game, where here he used the toe hold to counter his opponents transition to saddle from SLX. Even though he did not finish it (and perhaps was not a fully serious attempt to start with), what it did do was let him extricate his opponents superior entanglement, and put himself in position to come up into a superior passing setup. That leg ride to pass/attack the back was really clean too; made it look simple and effortless.

Also a nice arm triangle/ezekiel to pass outside ashi in the final of the same tourny.

Last edited:
I appreciate watching Meregali compete, since in some ways he is actually something like a throw-back, to times before certain malodorous memes became endemic in the popular consciousness of bjj, as a way for certain people to try and signal that they were distinguished from anyone else at the time (such as 'leg locks give up position').

This match gives a good example of how the threat of a leg attack on top can open up the rest of the passing game, where here he used the toe hold to counter his opponents transition to saddle from SLX. Even though he did not finish it (and perhaps was not a fully serious attempt to start with), what it did do was let him extricate his opponents superior entanglement, and put himself in position to come up into a superior passing setup. That leg ride to pass/attack the back was really clean too; made it look simple and effortless.

Also a nice arm triangle/ezekiel to pass outside ashi in the final of the same tourny.

He's a beast. I'm kinda of disappointed that he didn't really compete this whole year at black belt besides Brazilian nationals. He uses to compete all the time at Brown belt.

He's a beast. I'm kinda of disappointed that he didn't really compete this whole year at black belt besides Brazilian nationals. He uses to compete all the time at Brown belt.

I really respect him for that. Apparently he was getting burned out so he just took some time off. I think after beating Lo to win Worlds his first year he's entitled to some rest. =)

I really respect him for that. Apparently he was getting burned out so he just took some time off. I think after beating Lo to win Worlds his first year he's entitled to some rest. =)

I agree but I think LO will beat him this year. Lo was pretty worn out doing multiple tournaments to win the ibjff 1St prize money.

Lo also had a harder bracket to get through too. I'll be at worlds live watching the event, I can't wait .

Back