Great answer on why is unnacceptable for white people to use the n word

slivercord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Mod Note: Please avoid typing out the word itself during this discussion, whether it be the ending with er or a. Regardless of the word filter being in place, the site still does not want any of these words being typed out. I'm just passing this down to you. Please avoid doing so. Something like n**** or n word can suffice and only in the context of the discussion itself. Try to be mature in having this discussion.

Why is it so hard to understand that a very small minority, morphs the meaning of a very derrogative word and turn it into something they say to each other and find it disrespectful for you to use it. Do you call your neighbour wife darling?

Oh and if you gonna try to derail this with side conversations or memes, its sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've waited my entire life for this discussion.

Singing along with a popular song? Hardly disrespectful if you are thinking of intent.

Could be awkward though.

It's mass marketed to the masses.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how vapid Ta-Nehisi is given his reputation as some brilliant and thoughtful writer. He didn't explain anything, just gave analogous situations in other communities while making a far reaching stretch to his wife calling him "honey" despite there being an added level of intimacy there. But he didn't explain why "bitch", "f******", "white trash" or any other derogatory word was common place and accepted. He just tried to point the finger at white people and say black people were over criticized for it. He really struggled giving a decent answer.

Girl at the beginning was wrong, which is sad for my alma mater, she has a right to say any word she wants regardless of the color of her skin.

Last edited:

Why is it so hard to understand that a very small minority, morphs the meaning of a very derrogative word and turn it into something they say to each other and find it disrespectful for you to use it. Do you call your neighbour wife darling?

Oh and if you gonna try to derail this with side conversations or memes, its sad.

Counterpoint: White people made up the word and if you make a word you are the most entitled to use it.

Also, isn't part of White Privilege to use this word?

Roundabout way of saying if there's a offense intended.

context matters.

Only time this gets brought up is when a pundit gets too familiar on air.

Normal people dont worry about shit like this.

Counterpoint: White people made up the word and if you make a word you are the most entitled to use it.

All these special snowflakes and their 'entitlement' these days

i would take issue with the black/white world idea that he put forth at the end.

1 the obvious spinning white people having the freedoms that are the very idea of this country as believing everything "belongs" to them. its worthless horseshit.

2 while it may give insight into the black world of not being able to do some things, the better solution would be to drag people to the side of have more, than to drag people back into the have less.

I think if we want to go down a road in which we must recognize clear divides between the races and separate community standards and rights of identity between the races - as Coates is suggesting - we can certainly go down that road.

But it is then illegitimate to decry the destination to which that road inevitably leads.

Literally the only time I use that word is when it is a lyric in a song

Also, isn't part of White Privilege to use this word?
Black people took the "eer" from it. So it morphed to a whole different meaning.

As a white Man i find it funny that black people call each other n***a. I also find it funny that word can be so controlling.

I once had a shit tier upstairs neighbor that would constantly play loud music, let their kids stomp around at all hours of the night, leave trash and shit all over the Complex in our area and just generally acted as unpleasant as possible.

I had several run ins with the man living there that escalted into him shouting and acting aggressively yet would never come down from his porch on high when i challenged him to fisticuffs. One time I had a black friend over when he went on one of his tiraids and my friend suggested I drop the N bomb to coax him to finally put Up or shut Up.

Well it worked and he stormed down the stairs to finally get to it, ended with me pinning him to the ground and gnping him while he covered until he said he was done. His baby mamma and kids where there to witness the whole debacle.

Its a word that I don't advise anyone to use, whether you're black or white it can land you in hot water.

Roundabout way of saying if there's a offense intended.

Isn't it easier to just not use the word than to worry about if the intent will be taken the wrong way? There are so many other words that it is difficult take it seriously that someone is not try to be inflammatory or provoking.

Isn't it easier to just not use the word than to worry about if the intent will be taken the wrong way? There are so many other words that it is difficult take it seriously that someone is not try to be inflammatory or provoking.
Maybe. I've said the word "n***a" 3 times this week, all in front of black people and nobody cared. I'm not specifically trying to "get away" with saying it, and I don't say it in front of people I don't know, but I'm not gonna say "bleep" during a bone thugs and harmony concert.

I don't call my neighbor's wife darling, but I can say the word darling and he won't get offended. Not the best analogy.

I call my friends homo, bitch tits, etc. As long as you're seen as a part of the group or friend dynamic, it's not a problem. These are clearly derogatory statements and will easily get you in a fight used in the wrong context. Why is the N word any different? Sure it was used negatively against people. Many words are

The N-Bomb is not exactly a term of endearment. It would probably be best if black people stopped using it too. What other group uses such vile language to refer to one another? For example, I do not hear Chinese people calling each other **inks or people from the middle east using the term Sand N-Bomb when to refer to each other or Sikhs dropping the term towel-head when greeting each other.

If you do not want people using the term, then stop using it to sell mainstream albums, books and movies.

Back