Great and detailed video tutorial for the Front Kick

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This is great and shows many variations that I hadnt memorized aswell as conditioning exercises. I've talked to some old tkd guys via facebook online and they seem very comfortable talking about technical things in detail. They approach kicking in a very methodical way. Enjoy! and I would love to hear what my fellow tma guys think of this.

This is great and shows many variations that I hadnt memorized aswell as conditioning exercises. I've talked to some old tkd guys via facebook online and they seem very comfortable talking about technical things in detail. They approach kicking in a very methodical way. Enjoy! and I would love to hear what my fellow tma guys think of this.

wish i would have known about this type of stuff years ago.

Great vid, thanks!

Guy prob has the most dangerous kick to the balls ever

I've talked to some old tkd guys via facebook online and they seem very comfortable talking about technical things in detail.

That's something I found out too. Experienced teachers in TKD (mostly ITF for me), really like to explain every detail of any strike. And I think katas are a big reason why. In katas, every detail is important, you must use the perfect "form", and it's something that is universal to them, since they have katas championships. So the same way a front kick is taught in Korea, is taught in any other school that is recognized buy the 2 big organizations (WTF/ITF). Funny think is they still change some stuffs to this day, so every teacher has to inform himself to be on the same page...

About the strikes, the thrusting one is like a teep mostly, but I've rarely seen it taught in TKD. The other one is a basic front kick...

That's something I found out too. Experienced teachers in TKD (mostly ITF for me), really like to explain every detail of any strike. And I think katas are a big reason why. In katas, every detail is important, you must use the perfect "form", and it's something that is universal to them, since they have katas championships. So the same way a front kick is taught in Korea, is taught in any other school that is recognized buy the 2 big organizations (WTF/ITF). Funny think is they still change some stuffs to this day, so every teacher has to inform himself to be on the same page...

About the strikes, the thrusting one is like a teep mostly, but I've rarely seen it taught in TKD. The other one is a basic front kick...
I've noticed in the korean arts they tend to step or fall forward as they kick. I tend to kick and then it goes right back into stance.

You also learn to reposition yourself, but usually for sparring you step in with the kick for 3 main reasons (I can think of)

- There is no stance in TKD... they don't care to be in a southpaw or regular stance. Obviously they have preferences but you train all the kicks in both stances (and usually they prefer to have the best leg forward). So bringing back the leg to fall back to your original stance, is not really an "obligation" like in other arts...

-Since they use both legs "equally", putting the leg down in front of you after a kick, then kicking with the rear is a lot faster than kicking with the same leg after bringing it back down behind. So for chaining kick combos, it's quicker this way. By alternating legs and stepping in, the next strike is available a lot more rapidly.

-You often need to "chase" your opponent. Staying and blocking is the last option in high level. You either counter or evade (or get hit)... And when you add the fact that the ring is from 8x8 to 10x10 depending on the style, without ropes and corners, you understand that moving forward fast while striking is often a necessity. And stepping in gives you that..

what do you guys do when they bring their elbows together and cover their chest to block and break your toes?

You either go for the hips, or go higher to "push" their gloves back into their faces... The chest is not the best target for the teep, unless you have a clear shot to the plexus.

Back