Grappling Dummy Worth It?

SuperAzn812

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't get a chance to practice technique as much as I would like to in my classes, because it usually takes me a little longer than my other classmates to get a technique down. I'm considering getting a grappling dummy so I can practice more when I get home.

For all the people who own one, what can I really expect to practice on it if I get one? Also, what's a good grappling dummy to purchase? Thanks!

It improved my jiu-jitsu when I was a white belt, not so much now.

there are threads on here if you wanted to build your own. I've always wanted one so I can quit negotiating with my fiance on trading some moves for massages and the such. lol.

there are threads on here if you wanted to build your own. I've always wanted one so I can quit negotiating with my fiance on trading some moves for massages and the such. lol.

haha thats funny

It's better than nothing. If you can get someone to train with, it is far better. I didn't have that option so settled for the dummy. Good for some techniques but cannot duplicate the real thing. Most importantly, is it worth the $500+ cost.

I think that it may help to some extent if you want to just try a move out or work some basic guard techniques or submissions.

I had debated buying one or building one. I think it might have helped me in the first year. I kept putting it off and never bought one, been doing BJJ about 18 months now, and not so sure it would help a great deal at this point so I don't think I'll get one. Obviously still a ton to learn - but not sure I can learn it from a dummy.

Keep in mind the burnout factor - unless you're training the maximum that your gym offers and STILL want to train more it might be good. But if not then a grappling dummy will probably add that much more to your burnout and end up making you either train less or be less enthusiastic to train (if you actually use it - which apparently most who buy them end up not - I guess that usually they end up sitting in the corner). Many useful drills can be practiced without a dummy.

I've been to a wrestling camp where they use 170 pound dummies for some strength and conditioning stuff that was pretty cool, but not much else. It really comes down to if you have the dough to spare.

There are a few different types of grappling dummies. Some are just glorified heavy bags some are human like light weight dummies that you can bend the limbs of. I never used the later. But I know I have improved my game alot just from putting a heavy bag on the ground and practicing my movement and balance on them. I dont think you really have to spend the extra cash if you already have a heavy bag .

Once I get my current situation smoothed out a little better I intend on making a youtube account showing different drills that I've learned.

But I know I have improved my game alot just from putting a heavy bag on the ground and practicing my movement and balance on them. I dont think you really have to spend the extra cash if you already have a heavy bag .

This. The dummy is not really more useful than a heavy bag. There are tons of drills you can do on your own without anything other than yourself (thats what she said:icon_lol:). Then there are tons that you can do with just a heavy bag. You can find a heavy bag for $50. I would try this out first and see if you are really using it a lot. Once you have worn out the bag drills then stop to consider if the dummy is really worth it at that point or not. I could not see it helping me anymore than the bag.

A few years ago I bought one on sale for like 300 bucks, I feel I should've invested that money on a couple of private lessons from my instructor instead

There are a few different types of grappling dummies. Some are just glorified heavy bags some are human like light weight dummies that you can bend the limbs of. I never used the later. But I know I have improved my game alot just from putting a heavy bag on the ground and practicing my movement and balance on them. I dont think you really have to spend the extra cash if you already have a heavy bag .

Once I get my current situation smoothed out a little better I intend on making a youtube account showing different drills that I've learned.

Can you please explain some of the drills you did?

I think what's great about the dummy is you can watch a DVD and do the move right there.

The problem I have is that I don't want to pay $600 for something I am not going to use.

To the people that have used dummies what part of your game did they help.

For people who are hung up on price, you can do what I did and just periodically check Craigslist for someone selling an ~$500 grappling dummy. If you find those posts, a lot of the times they're selling it for less than what they paid for and you don't have to worry about shipping. I got mine for $200.

As for how it's helped, it allows me to do drills of certain moves such as toreada passes, knee-on-belly transitions, armbars, etc. Basically a lot of moves from top position. However, they're almost useless when you want to practice stuff like escapes or bottom guard situations since they're just dead weight.

Overall, it has helped instill muscle memory and it helps reinforce the little details that I tend to forget or miss during class.

Can you please explain some of the drills you did?

I think what's great about the dummy is you can watch a DVD and do the move right there.

The problem I have is that I don't want to pay $600 for something I am not going to use.

To the people that have used dummies what part of your game did they help.

I would think it'd be useful for monotonous back-and-forth drills, like shooting for triangles and arm bars from different sides.

Sew an old pair of pants and long sleeve shirt together. Hell, you could just duct tape the thing together. Wrap it in an old Gi, you just saved 300 dollars. Now you just have to convince people you aren't crazy so dont give it a name and draw a face on it. At least dont tell anyone about the name.

Im a purple belt too, i should really be over this...

There's no way that throwing a gi on a dummy and drilling 100 armbars, kimumas, cross chokes,sweeps, whatever won't dramatically improve your game.

It's tough to find a partner who will just want to drill with you and that's really the quickest way to get good at Jiu Jitsu...

I haven't gotten one yet but will they heavy schedule I have, I'll definitely be picking one up at some point.

One of my old instructors had one. It was fairly worthless. Glorified sandbag, basically.

Back