Grappling Dummy - Good investment?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by JooJitzoo, Jan 29, 2006.

1. JooJitzoo White Belt

JooJitzoo
    Are grappling dummys good investments in you guy's humble opinions? Or am I just better off rolling with fellow students?

I was thinking about a dummy simply for technique drills but I currently don't have much of a problem finding people to grapple with. So is a dummy really necessary for my situation?

2. Tone C Red Belt

Tone C
    I made my own but its nowhere as good as playing with real people,depending on what they are like,obviously if you get someone who is willing to drill and grapple techniques thats excellent,but if you get someone who wants to go 100% all the time thats not as good as you can't get techniques into your muscle memory/subconscious as you're too busy sparring.I work odd hours so the dummy is useful for me as i tend to use it to throw around and do elbows,full on punching etc on it and not have to worry about injuring the dummy at all which is obviously a consideration with a live partner.

3. toetagga White Belt

toetagga
  4. anvar Guest

anvar
    no...

5. cheesesteak Green Belt

cheesesteak
    if you don't have any problems finding people to grapple with, you shouldn't need one.

i'm trying to make my own after reading the "bubba patent," but i'd just buy one if i had the money. -_-;;

6. Mattmo Orange Belt

Mattmo
    I wouldn't bother buying one. A heavy bag on the ground works just as well for striking and picking up and throwing around......you can put a gi on it, tie a belt around it and pretend that you have limbs on it.

7. anvar Guest

anvar
    I built a very good dummy awhile ago...it ended up having it's head ripped off (we drug it behind my truck for a few blocks). I did not really like it, i feel it can lead to horrible teachnique.

8. meng_mao this belt has flava

meng_mao
    I dunno what to say about this post.
    teh racist? very good, but yet leads to horrible technique?

9. LCDforMe Purple Belt

LCDforMe
    I thought working with them was supposed to be helpful to working on technique when you don't have a partner?

10. pinkkicker82 White Belt

pinkkicker82
  11. dat1978 Purple Belt

dat1978
    i've got a submission master. well built and durable. the features that they promote on the website, like the self positioning arms, all work well. my only negatives are that it takes a little while to break in, and that the shoulders are designed so wide and big that i can't close a triangle. in regards to the triangle, i'm not even that short at 5'8" but the shoulders are huge.

12. chokeingvictim Brown Belt

chokeingvictim
    i just made one recently it works very for drill i made it really anatomically correct to bend at the right places it looks like an alien and took more time to build it then i thought

my chokes have gotten way better since i made it