Grappling at Oklahoma State University

Mohawk79

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am going to be leaving next week for Stillwater, Oklahoma because I am attending O.S.U. this coming fall for Engineering. I have done some research and I cannot find many BJJ academies in the area, and as far as I know there is not a grappling club at O.S.U. So I plan on starting a Submission Grappling/BJJ club at Oklahoma State. I have to be on campus for a certain period of time as well as do some paperwork and find a small number of students to join in order for it to be recognized as a club at O.S.U., but I'm hoping to have the club started at the beginning of this fall semester if everything goes according to plan.

I am currently a four stripe blue belt under Billy Dowey and Jason Culbreth here in Raleigh NC, who I started BJJ with back in May of 2006. I am also a brown belt in Judo under sensei Shawn Madden who I started Judo with at Carolina Judo in 2008. I also was taught wrestling here at Forged Fitness by Jason Gore who was an All-American at N.C. State University. I have also spent a few summers helping my close friends Max Dorin and Bagels getting ready for their MMA fights. I also have trained Muay Thai under Mike Emory and Ted Leiner.

If anyone is interested, or attends O.S.U. and has any type of martial arts experience, please send me a p.m. or email me directly at [email protected]

You're going to be at one of the best D1 wrestling schools in the country.... I'm not saying you should try and walk onto the team, but it would be a good oppurtunity to try and learn some more wrestling to compliment your BJJ.

You're going to be at one of the best D1 wrestling schools in the country.... I'm not saying you should try and walk onto the team, but it would be a good oppurtunity to try and learn some more wrestling to compliment your BJJ.

I am definitely going to try and see if any of the wrestlers would be interested in joining the club, it is an opportunity I definitely want to take advantage of if possible. I am just not sure if they will be able to considering most of them will be very busy during the wrestling season.

I definitely have no intentions of trying to walk onto that team, they are very good and I doubt my wrestling even comes close to theirs.

Why would he do that? He just want a place to train BJJ.

I say nay. Barao, Aldo, GSP, Silva... none of them wrestled before mma.

Well GSP didn't "wrestle" collegiate but his style is wrestling. And look who silva (if you mean anderson) just lost to. only 2 out of 8 champions are non wrestlers, with one being an interim, so technically only 1 real champ. Jon jones even said on the BBC show that wrestling has emerged as the top discipline. And if it isn't wrestling, its striking, so wrestling would still be the dominant grappling art. Not to diss on BJJ or anything, but the BJJ based fighters (Frank mir, Demian maia, roger gracie, werdum) are good fighters but none of them are champions. Wrestling has taken over, followed by striking. I am a bjj practitioner, but this is the cold hard truth. With the influx of the russian fighters, I believe sambo will become dominant, although they train a mixture of sambo, freestyle/greco wrestling, and judo, since russia is very prominent in all 3.

Well GSP didn't "wrestle" collegiate but his style is wrestling. And look who silva (if you mean anderson) just lost to. only 2 out of 8 champions are non wrestlers, with one being an interim, so technically only 1 real champ. Jon jones even said on the BBC show that wrestling has emerged as the top discipline. And if it isn't wrestling, its striking, so wrestling would still be the dominant grappling art. Not to diss on BJJ or anything, but the BJJ based fighters (Frank mir, Demian maia, roger gracie, werdum) are good fighters but none of them are champions. Wrestling has taken over, followed by striking. I am a bjj practitioner, but this is the cold hard truth. With the influx of the russian fighters, I believe sambo will become dominant, although they train a mixture of sambo, freestyle/greco wrestling, and judo, since russia is very prominent in all 3.

what if he doesn't want to do MMA? and wrestling is dominant because of the rules.

what if he doesn't want to do MMA? and wrestling is dominant because of the rules.

I consider myself a grappler, and I am open to any legitimate grappling art. I actually began BJJ because at the time I could not find a Judo class where I live. I plan on taking full advantage of gaining any wrestling experience I can while in OK.

I completely understand that take down knowledge is critical for any combative sport, whether it be BJJ, Judo, wrestling, MMA, etc.

Wrestling with them will be fun from you. There's a lot of things you can pick up from them, especially at OSU. GL with your club, I hope a lot of the D1 guys comes out and join it.

Save your time and energy asking anyone on the OSU team to join the grappling club. It isn't going to happen. The caliber of wrestler on that team and the focus it takes to be there is too much to be involved with a start up grappling club.

The good news is that there should be plenty of talented HS wrestlers who aren't quite at the level of being on the team or who aren't willing to put in the required effort. Being at OSU there should be plenty of good high school wrestlers who would be great to help out teach wrestling and the club would be a great outlet for them. In fact when starting a grappling club at OSU they should be your target demographic. And if ever there was a school to have old mats that they don't need or use that are still of usable quality it is OSU. Before T Boone Pickens gave a gazzilion dollars to the athletic department they were using old wrestling mats to carpet the basketball locker rooms.

It should be a great university to have a shot at getting a grappling club going but be smart about how and who you pitch it to. As a related offshoot to this here is a great talk on common shortcomings in creating change or movement, could be a useful resource when trying to plan how to create a grappling club.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dave_meslin_the_antidote_to_apathy.html

I am definitely going to try and see if any of the wrestlers would be interested in joining the club, it is an opportunity I definitely want to take advantage of if possible. I am just not sure if they will be able to considering most of them will be very busy during the wrestling season.

I definitely have no intentions of trying to walk onto that team, they are very good and I doubt my wrestling even comes close to theirs.

Your not going to get them to join the club.

I started a thread here a bit ago about whether or not college aged grapplers and grapplers currently attending colleges actually patronize their college campus grappling/BJJ clubs.

Everyone says no they dont go to the club. The clubs dont have good technique. Everyone just goes to an outside private school.

Maybe the people that answered were all from Southern California or something, have too many options.

I know Garry Tonon apparently teaches at the Rutgers club. I wonder how big the Rutgers club is and how good it is.

I started a thread here a bit ago about whether or not college aged grapplers and grapplers currently attending colleges actually patronize their college campus grappling/BJJ clubs.

Everyone says no they dont go to the club. The clubs dont have good technique. Everyone just goes to an outside private school.

Maybe the people that answered were all from Southern California or something, have too many options.

I know Garry Tonon apparently teaches at the Rutgers club. I wonder how big the Rutgers club is and how good it is.
Gary Tonon goes to Rutgers and mainly wrestles. That's why his wrestling is so good for a bjj guy. He was willing to get his butt whooped and be a white belt again to get better

I would think in today's environment, any high level wrestler that plans to go on to MMA after college WOULD take the time to start learing a little BBJ in the off season.

I would think in today's environment, any high level wrestler that plans to go on to MMA after college WOULD take the time to start learing a little BBJ in the off season.
You apparently don't know what a college wrestlersoff season schedule looks like, especially at the heavy Schools like Oklahoma state.

You still have to work out, mainly lifting. But also "optional" practices and individual workouts with coaches, and helping out wit camps in clinics too... which include practices. Adding bjj a lot of the time is a good way to overtrain. (I know from experience). The main difference is during the off season the wrestlers party more unless it's David Taylor.

And most college wrestlers aren't thinking about what they need to do for mma. Even if they're considering it after. They're focused on the 4-5 years they have to achieve a dream

Back