Grapplers Quest 2013 events cancelled

There's gotta be more to this. Impossible he's not making bank from these tournaments...

who cares, Cimins is a douche anyway. Also GQ is crap and it makes no sense that they would cancel all events because he can't run them, probably something more going on

You obviously don't know Brian very well. He is an awesome person. He has helped promote a lot of jiu-jitsu people with his videos that he posts from tournaments. Also, he is a Philantropist and a Motivational Speaker. He also heavily promotes Autism Awareness and donates a lot of the proceedings from tournaments. He is in Peru right now probably helping people through his Philantropy. I know his family and friends lived right in the path of Hurricaine Sandy, so maybe he saw how precious life is and wanted to devote more time to his family. I don't know for sure his reasons. I do know his tournament is one of the only ones that actually has cash prizes and sponsorships for a whole year if you win your divisions. I have had the pleasure of really getting to know him over the past several years and he is far from a douche. I'm curious why you would even call him that.

You obviously don't know Brian very well. He is an awesome person. He has helped promote a lot of jiu-jitsu people with his videos that he posts from tournaments. Also, he is a Philantropist and a Motivational Speaker. He also heavily promotes Autism Awareness and donates a lot of the proceedings from tournaments. He is in Peru right now probably helping people through his Philantropy. I know his family and friends lived right in the path of Hurricaine Sandy, so maybe he saw how precious life is and wanted to devote more time to his family. I don't know for sure his reasons. I do know his tournament is one of the only ones that actually has cash prizes and sponsorships for a whole year if you win your divisions. I have had the pleasure of really getting to know him over the past several years and he is far from a douche. I'm curious why you would even call him that.

Brian had a very heartfelt speech at the Fight Summit this year. Part of it was on his plans for next year, which seemed ambitious. A lot of people say he's hard to work with but they still work with him. It's hard to argue about the success of GQ. It went from a college project to a huge tournament series.

He even admitted that in the past he was abrasive and not so positive. He's had some crazy experiences in the past year or two that I think have set him on a different path. I don't want to get into all the details but I know he said ayahuasca has changed his life, maybe that's why he's back in Peru. I think he is moving more toward the life coaching arena. I also don't want to turn this into an autism debate but some of the things he says about autism are debatable, especially in regard to vaccines. He is trying to raise money and do more charitable acts, which is good. I've heard rumors that S7 wanted to buy GQ, so maybe that's moving forward. With S7s contacts with the UFC I think they could slide into the UFC Expos fairly easy.

Brian had a very heartfelt speech at the Fight Summit this year. Part of it was on his plans for next year, which seemed ambitious. A lot of people say he's hard to work with but they still work with him. It's hard to argue about the success of GQ. It went from a college project to a huge tournament series.

He even admitted that in the past he was abrasive and not so positive. He's had some crazy experiences in the past year or two that I think have set him on a different path. I don't want to get into all the details but I know he said ayahuasca has changed his life, maybe that's why he's back in Peru. I think he is moving more toward the life coaching arena. I also don't want to turn this into an autism debate but some of the things he says about autism are debatable, especially in regard to vaccines. He is trying to raise money and do more charitable acts, which is good. I've heard rumors that S7 wanted to buy GQ, so maybe that's moving forward. With S7s contacts with the UFC I think they could slide into the UFC Expos fairly easy.

:eek:

Never heard anything about this guy but from this thread, he is a micromanaging, probably perfectionist (if he can't do it, might as well shut it all down), hallucinogen using conspiracy theorist.

Solid b-case.

I am not accusing Murdoch for this, but more VC -- obviously -- but it's pretty close-minded to the point of being like evangelical-esque to judge someone on the precipice of 2013 for Ayahuasca. - E

Word on the Facebook front is that the event, 'The Brian Cimins Experience: Grappler's Quest' may be able to go on and a modified schedule will be posted after Christmas.

No word yet on if it is with him managing in some capacity, or if the reins will be given to others to handle for the year.

I am not accusing Murdoch for this, but more VC -- obviously -- but it's pretty close-minded to the point of being like evangelical-esque to judge someone on the precipice of 2013 for Ayahuasca. - E

Did you seriously just defend drug use by citing the fictional apocalypse?

And I'm down with drugs. I don't care what people do or put into their own bodies. But I don't buy into the whole spiritual hocus pocus that people attribute to ayahuasca. It is a hallucinogen. It makes you trip balls. Believing that it has some kind of magical/religious power is like saying that you believe that the oracle of Delphi legitimately saw visions of the future. When you toss noxious chemicals into your brain, you'll experience some pretty wild stuff, but it's not exactly responsible behaviour. And vaccines don't cause autism. People who continue to believe so are either wilfully ignorant, or delusional. One I don't respect, and the other might be a contraindication of self-administering mind altering substances.

If the guy wants to travel around and get stoned with his kids, power to him, but delegate your real world responsibilities so the show can go on in your absence.

When did I mention the Apocalypse? Are you on drugs right now?

Who are you to say what kind of life changes Ayahuasca can produce in human beings that go through the experience? I don't give a fuck what it is. If there are individuals who say that it has a positive effect on them and they come back to their lives exhibiting this new found enlightenment, I don't care if what they took and where they took it (and with whom). It is not my business. And neither is it yours. - E

Sure it is, is it played a role in one of the biggest grappling circuits in North America to be put on a full year hiatus.

Yep, because that is all that matters. Guy might be able to make the difference in effectively medicating some of the most serious forms of autism, but hey ... you do not get to grapple some other white belts in Toronto for some pointless 'title'.

You could go to Ayahuasca and start your own Grapplers Quest. - E

Don't the events need to keep running to raise money for autism, or are you suggesting he will cure it himself.

Did you seriously just defend drug use by citing the fictional apocalypse?

And I'm down with drugs. I don't care what people do or put into their own bodies. But I don't buy into the whole spiritual hocus pocus that people attribute to ayahuasca. It is a hallucinogen. It makes you trip balls. Believing that it has some kind of magical/religious power is like saying that you believe that the oracle of Delphi legitimately saw visions of the future. When you toss noxious chemicals into your brain, you'll experience some pretty wild stuff, but it's not exactly responsible behaviour. And vaccines don't cause autism. People who continue to believe so are either wilfully ignorant, or delusional. One I don't respect, and the other might be a contraindication of self-administering mind altering substances.

If the guy wants to travel around and get stoned with his kids, power to him, but delegate your real world responsibilities so the show can go on in your absence.

Have you ever taken ayahuasca?

Have you ever taken ayahuasca?

Nope. I have taken other mind altering substances though. In the end it is all just chemicals pulling on wires in your brain.

But... not literally wires, you know.

For the record I don't know if he's in Peru taking it now, just that he is in Peru. Another friend of mine is there taking on a shamanic vacation. I'm also not saying if it's a good or bad thing. I know he's given away a ton of tshirts and other support to a tribe down there. Also, I'm not saying the ayuhuasca trip is why he is giving up GQ or if he even is giving it up.

For the record I don't know if he's in Peru taking it now, just that he is in Peru. Another friend of mine is there taking on a shamanic vacation. I'm also not saying if it's a good or bad thing. I know he's given away a ton of tshirts and other support to a tribe down there. Also, I'm not saying the ayuhuasca trip is why he is giving up GQ or if he even is giving it up.

Don't worry, I'll take the blame for the outlandish rumours and conjecture. :icon_lol:

There needs to be more serious inquires and research into the possible connections between vacines and autism. I do not have the qualifications to land on one side or the other but there is enough to postulate either way. If he has done the research and had experiences in which he determines vacines are a possible cause of autism I would be interested in hearing his argument. I tend to believe that many of todays medical protocols are more concerned with making a profit for the pharma companies than with the health of the population.

Aside from that I hope that GQ finds a way to run or that local tourns step up and take the opportunity to fill the gap left. GQ was by no means a flawless system but their events always seemed a huge step above NAGA to me. I hope Cimins is ok and wish him the best with whatever he is up to.

There needs to be more serious inquires and research into the possible connections between vacines and autism. I do not have the qualifications to land on one side or the other but there is enough to postulate either way. If he has done the research and had experiences in which he determines vacines are a possible cause of autism I would be interested in hearing his argument. I tend to believe that many of todays medical protocols are more concerned with making a profit for the pharma companies than with the health of the population.

Aside from that I hope that GQ finds a way to run or that local tourns step up and take the opportunity to fill the gap left. GQ was by no means a flawless system but their events always seemed a huge step above NAGA to me. I hope Cimins is ok and wish him the best with whatever he is up to.

If you took a stats or research methods class in college you would have most likely talked about the various errors that can be made in analyzing a research hypothesis.

In the most famous study that suggested that there is a relationship between MMR vaccines and autism (Wakefield et al., 1999), there was a type I error in the analysis of his statistics.

To make this simple, he proposed that the vaccine given to children to prevent measles/mumps/rubella around 1 year of age, had a significant effect in the development of autism. To prove this hypothesis true, he would need to prove that the null hypothesis was was false. (Hypothesis: MMR vaccine causes increase in autism rates, Null hypothesis: MMR vaccine does not increase rates)

In this famous statistical analysis blunder, Wakefield, using his statistics, rejected the null hypothesis. He then determined that his hypothesis involving the MMR vaccine and autism rates was therefore true. This has since failed to be replicated, and is often referred to as one of the greatest type I statistical analysis errors of our time.

A type I error is when the null hypothesis (Vaccine does not increase autism rates) is incorrectly rejected, and the research hypothesis (Vaccine does increase rates) is unfortunately proven true. In basic terms, making an incorrect determination of your data and achieving a false positive in regard to your research hypothesis.

This study was released circa 1999, and by 2010 (when I was finishing this class in college) 10 out of 13 of Wakefield's supporting researchers had pulled their backing of his findings. Since the initial findings were released, a large number of the population have disregarded vaccinating their children against measles/mumps/rubella, and have put their children at risk. Even though his results, finding the vaccine to increase autism rates have never since been replicated, it is still widely thought by most people to be true.

Not trying to derail the thread, but to answer your statement, there have been people trying to find this connection and no connection has actually been made. Just annoys me that people don't vaccinate their kids because of information that they don't really know anything about.

Back