Grant Vs. Winning

winning are hands down the best gloves on the market but its insane now that they have jacked up their prices, reyes are equally as good jsut different. Cant beleive how much they cost now.

I actually have a pair of 10oz. custom grant pro fight gloves(yellow/red/green) coming in soon. I can give you a little comparison. the gloves sizes between the Winnings I have and the Grants I will be getting are different, but I can compare comfort, stitching, materials, etc.

Hey RSK,

Can you give us the the Winning and Grant comparison? I'm mostly interested in knowing the differences in fit and in the differences in the padding.

Also is there anyone on here that has had experiences with the orthopedic padding? How do you think it would compare to Winning padding? Is it only available on pro fight gloves?

Hey RSK,

Can you give us the the Winning and Grant comparison? I'm mostly interested in knowing the differences in fit and in the differences in the padding.

Also is there anyone on here that has had experiences with the orthopedic padding? How do you think it would compare to Winning padding? Is it only available on pro fight gloves?

What are you looking for in a glove and what size. I've had Winning 14 oz. Grant 16 oz. training gloves and Grant 10 oz. pro fight gloves.

I've never used them but they do offer orthopedic padding on the training gloves too, at least at the time I inquired about custom gloves they did.

What are you looking for in a glove and what size. I've had Winning 14 oz. Grant 16 oz. training gloves and Grant 10 oz. pro fight gloves.

I've never used them but they do offer orthopedic padding on the training gloves too, at least at the time I inquired about custom gloves they did.

Basically I am looking for small size gloves (8 or 10 oz ) that are safe for heavy bag training. I've been talking to Technoir about making me some custom ones with extra padding, but I'm still considering also getting Winning or Grant.

Could you compare the padding on the Grants and Winnings, in terms of density and protection. Also how is the fit and comfort of the Grants - from what I have read some people love them and others hate them. Are the 10oz Grants safe for heavy bag?

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of padding do you plan to use in the gloves that you are making?

Basically I am looking for small size gloves (8 or 10 oz ) that are safe for heavy bag training. I've been talking to Technoir about making me some custom ones with extra padding, but I'm still considering also getting Winning or Grant.

Could you compare the padding on the Grants and Winnings, in terms of density and protection. Also how is the fit and comfort of the Grants - from what I have read some people love them and others hate them. Are the 10oz Grants safe for heavy bag?

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of padding do you plan to use in the gloves that you are making?

It wouldn't be fair comparison. The winning are 14 oz. all foam, and the Grant are 10 oz. combination of foam and horse hair. The grant 16 oz. is all foam, and it's nothing like the pro fight glove they make. I'm pretty sure the Winning 8 and 10 are all foam, so I would have to assume they offer the most protection. Have you considered using the Winning knuckle guards for more protection?

Something to consider is the size difference between the 8 and 10's. It might not sound much but there is a noticeable size difference. I own the Everlast, Grant, and Flores 10's and was fortunate enough to try the 8 oz. equivalent of each. If your hands are on the bigger side, the 8 oz. might not be comfortable.

...The winning are 14 oz. all foam... The grant 16 oz. is all foam...

Reviving an old thread...

Can you please compare the Grant and the Winning training gloves in terms of protection, craftsmanship and fun factor :)

I am gonna get myself a Xmas gift and am between a second pair of Winnings or a (first) pair of Grants (non-customs).

Thanks,
Gus

Can you please compare the Grant and the Winning training gloves in terms of protection, craftsmanship and fun factor :)

I am gonna get myself a Xmas gift and am between a second pair of Winnings or a (first) pair of Grants (non-customs).

Thanks,
Gus

If you aren't going custom, save some money and get a pair of Bill's gloves; if you are going to get std. Winning gloves, get a pair of custom Grants instead.

Lol, he is never happy. Hey Gus, get some 18oz Winnings and I will give you $200 when you decide to sell them. =P

Lol, he is never happy. Hey Gus, get some 18oz Winnings and I will give you $200 when you decide to sell them. =P

You might be right...

So far for all the gloves I have tried, I liked the best Reyes and Winning and have sold almost everything else.

I like Billboxing gloves though, but my coach wants me to use 18oz for sparring.

Thanks,
Gus

I had the older style Grant gloves, before the split colors. I'm not sure if anything change besides the design. If I had to choose one glove, it would be Winning hands down.

As you know by now, it's all subjective and boils down to personal preference. Go ahead and get the Grants and get it out of your system. You'll always be wondering till you try them yourself. :icon_chee

Wrist protection: Grant
Knuckle protection: Winning
Comfort: Winning, by a mile.
Craftsmanship: Toss up. Grant uses welted seams, Winning uses thicker thread. Both use great leather.
Fun factor: I would give the edge to Grant if you were going with custom colors.

I had the older style Grant gloves, before the split colors. I'm not sure if anything change besides the design. If I had to choose one glove, it would be Winning hands down.

As you know by now, it's all subjective and boils down to personal preference. Go ahead and get the Grants and get it out of your system. You'll always be wondering till you try them yourself. :icon_chee

Wrist protection: Grant
Knuckle protection: Winning
Comfort: Winning, by a mile.
Craftsmanship: Toss up. Grant uses welted seams, Winning uses thicker thread. Both use great leather.
Fun factor: I would give the edge to Grant if you were going with custom colors.

Have you felt the padding in the thumb in the newer Grant gloves yet? What's up with that, feels very much like hair or something similar from my limited experience with horsehair gloves. Didnt like them much as the lining was rough and they put my fingers in an awkward position similar to the BGL7 and Lemarr MKII, but I never see other people mention that in reviews for gloves so maybe it's only because I have long fingers.

Also I'm a powerful brown belt now. 2500 posts about gloves and weird ebay fetishes, let the good times roll on

Last edited:
Have you felt the padding in the thumb in the newer Grant gloves yet? What's up with that, feels very much like hair or something similar from my limited experience with horsehair gloves. Didnt like them much as the lining was rough and they put my fingers in an awkward position similar to the BGL7 and Lemarr MKII, but I never see other people mention that in reviews for gloves so maybe it's only because I have long fingers.

Also I'm a powerful brown belt now. 2500 posts about gloves and weird ebay fetishes, let the good times roll on

Haven't had the opportunity to try out the newer version. Sounds odd. To my knowledge, they don't use any type of hair padding in their training gloves.

Congrats on the brown belt and get some help for that fetish!

You kids and your belts... I know some people complained about the thumb being too tight, so maybe they are using a softer foam in the thumb to fix that problem; also I haven't experienced any issues with my fingers with the MKIIs.

Thanks guys... this is great info. Went 180: bought two pairs of Reyes lace-ups (14oz and 18oz) and will get a FG5000 for Christmas!!!!
I guess I will not try Grants...

Thanks guys... this is great info. Went 180: bought two pairs of Reyes lace-ups (14oz and 18oz) and will get a FG5000 for Christmas!!!!
I guess I will not try Grants...

Thanks for wasting my time. :icon_lol:

Thanks for wasting my time. :icon_lol:

LOL...Sorry man.

Based on the comments here it did not seem to me that the Grants were worth the $260, just the other day they could be had for $150.

I might still get another pair of Winnings though (to match the headgear).

Thank you anyway

Gus

Just busting your chops.

At least you know what your getting with the Reyes.

Just busting your chops.

At least you know what your getting with the Reyes.

:) I know...

If I send my wife again to the post office to ship the gloves I sell, because I buy and don't like, she might kill me..hahaha

Jokes apart, I really want to find an option between Reyes and Winnings, which are as great as these two are.

I love Reyes in general, but the thumb position could be greatly improved.

Winning IMHO are greatly functional and high quality, obviously, but lack the heritage and the experience you get when you purchase a pair of Reyes. I also don't love the design...

I guess if I were to design the perfect glove, I would use the design of the Billboxing gloves I recently bought (which I heard were inspired by Grants') and the materials and craftsmanship of the Reyes. A Grant inspired Reyes, perhaps :)

Sorry for the rambling....Too much turkey I guess

:) I know...

If I send my wife again to the post office to ship the gloves I sell, because I buy and don't like, she might kill me..hahaha

Jokes apart, I really want to find an option between Reyes and Winnings, which are as great as these two are.

I love Reyes in general, but the thumb position could be greatly improved.

Winning IMHO are greatly functional and high quality, obviously, but lack the heritage and the experience you get when you purchase a pair of Reyes. I also don't love the design...

I guess if I were to design the perfect glove, I would use the design of the Billboxing gloves I recently bought (which I heard were inspired by Grants') and the materials and craftsmanship of the Reyes. A Grant inspired Reyes, perhaps :)

Sorry for the rambling....Too much turkey I guess

I definitely know what you mean. The heritage and quality of Reyes gloves are the two reasons why I decided to purchase mine. I would say that the absolute perfect glove would have Winning's foam, thumb, and leather, with Reyes' craftsmanship and a Grant triple cuff/split thumb and palm. I wish someone could frankenstein that glove together, it would be amazing.

Back