Grant Pricing???

Scarphe, I wanna second Dan's kudos to you for being transparent. We really can't thank you and Juan enough for providing gloves similar to Grant at a reasonable price. I'd definitely get gear from you, not only because I wouldn't have found New Sporting if not for your FB page, but because either way you and Juan have opened this option to the market by providing those gloves. I'm one of the guys here that still buys from Bill Beaulieu, because he'd always been nice to me, and because the triple-cuff model that we were introduced to around 2012 was supposedly a development that both he and Muhammad worked on, and because I would have never discovered Muhammad had it not been for Bill. If I buy that model, I buy it from Bill. If I buy the Winning-style, I buy it from Muhammad, since that was his project independent of Bill. I'm cool with both of them.

Dan, I can't wait for your review. I've seen only one TM review so far, but Juan sent me a bunch of pics of other peoples gloves. I'm curious which ones are yours. I have a pair on the way and I'll probably post something about them as well. I'd like to know the differences between the three brands. I'm particularly interested in "configuration being nicer" regarding Grant, and what exactly that means. I hope it's a three-way review between the three brands. I think a $150 "almost Grant" made at the same shop is still a no-brainer common sense choice as opposed to a $700 authentic Grant, unless of course we're millionaire's like you jk jk. Kidding aside, I'm aware of the iterations, and sometimes I've seen older models that I think are even better than the current ones. The most notable "iteration" that I've been made aware of is the price! In 2002, custom Grants were like $199. In 2012, I was quoted at $300. In 2014, it was $400. Today, it's $700. Wow!!! That's not even close to a linear function if you graphed it.

About people being upset with Grant...It's hard to explain but I think it's just Grant's attitude and pricing structure. I don't mind that he's a middleman, or that he's not a glovemaker. Those aren't issues. I just find it irksome that he skyrocketed his prices to the extent that he did. What if Bill or Scarphe raised their prices about 1000 % above Muhammad or New Sporting, respectively? That's what Grant did, and he's getting away with it. And I can't seem to explain it, but it just seems to me that if Reyes followed that "boutique label" model of Grant's and charged $700 a pair, I would be just a little bit LESS upset at Reyes for doing so, because of the simple reason that Reyes makes their own equipment! It's almost as though Reyes would have more of a "right" to do that than Grant, but again it's just a feeling and I can't really explain it. Thank God Reyes hasn't gone that direction.

Maybe Grant does it because he endorses top level fighters? I'm starting to see Topboxer posts with his gear with some recognizable names as well. I hope Muhammad doesn't start charging us $700/pair in the future because Holly Holm and McGregor are wearing his gloves. If he did, what would people say about it? Thankfully Sherdog forums are a little more educated when it comes Grant's quality, but on other boxing forums and sites, I still see things like "Grants are expensive, but they're well worth it, the top choice for pros!" nonsense.

Last edited:
If I had known Grant would be so expensive today... I would have stocked up on many pairs back in 2006 when they were $149 at Ringside.com.

Keep a few... sell the rest? hehe

Back