Granny Eating Cat Food vs. Welfare Queens

I wonder if you rage about Wall Street bankers ripping off the American people left and right? I’m sure you were beside yourself when we had to bail the banks out.

lol what does that have to do with the topic. If you can't stay on topic you probably shouldn't be in the thread.

Did I ever say that there was no abuse in the welfare system?

Not really. Did I ever deny that I was just as influence by meme as anyone else?
You idiots use the same tactic in every argument. Blatantly obvious example of something you say doesn’t exist. Obvious problem that should be dealt with. You then switch immediately to dats not all dem! Just change the op to can’t tell you anything and move on

That was exactly my point. You’re so smart

Lol your point was that all welfare recipients have Acura’s? Or that they all abuse the system? Or your anecdotes should be taken seriously at all??

Your dog walking story is similar to ripskater lost toy story

lol what does that have to do with the topic. If you can't stay on topic you probably shouldn't be in the thread.

Just curious because lots of righties in this thread seem so outraged by welfare recipients abusing the system but where is all your outrage about Wall Street bankers and your president who seems to be enriching himself at every turn. Where is your outrage for cabinet members taking private jets? Seems the fake outrage on the right is always directed at a particular group of people

Lol your point was that all welfare recipients have Acura’s? Or that they all abuse the system? Or your anecdotes should be taken seriously at all??

Your dog walking story is similar to ripskater lost toy story
All I see here is vinegar and water. You know the answer but are just being a douche. Do you ever wonder If there’s a reason I don’t take you serially at all and respond in kind?

Yeah, it's an old idea. Reagan started it. It's amazing how many people are utterly convinced that the welfare system is absolutely rife with abuse. If you ask them why they think this is, they will often cite one or two anecdotal cases observed from afar.

This is another way of looking at it: which ideas will you accept based on anecdotal evidence rather than actual data (confirmation bias).
People are convince the welfare system is rife with abuse because it is. The people abusing it are not the majority, but they exist, and it's more than a few examples. I spent several years for Toronto's government housing authority and every day I saw people abusing a system that is designed to help. Single mothers sat on a two year waiting list, often in and out of shelters, while drug dealers and con artists enjoyed their tax payer funded housing and monthly cheque.

Edit: And for the record, we were on welfare for a couple of years when I was a kid, so I know poverty, and recognize the need for a social safety net.

Man.

I dont get yall.

Yall will slap food out of a persons mouth.

But turn right back the fuck around and give money to a mother fucker that cant manage a farm to save his family.

We all saw the bullshit GM was putting out thruout the mid 90's to early 2000's, but I guess we all needed 8 variations of the fucking Chevy Malibu, I mean Cadillac Catera, or was it the Grand Am.

I guess when its a business it ok huh?

Be consistent despise all welfare queens, not just the ones you watch at the register...

Just curious because lots of righties in this thread seem so outraged by welfare recipients abusing the system but where is all your outrage about Wall Street bankers and your president who seems to be enriching himself at every turn. Where is your outrage for cabinet members taking private jets? Seems the fake outrage on the right is always directed at a particular group of people

This thread is about the welfare system. Just because it's called corporate welfare doesn't mean it's actually the same thing. Personally I'd like to reduce tax incentives for companies, but I realize they mostly happen to increase jobs in a certain area. I have also personally seen people abuse the actual welfare system in my time working at a bank in a poor area and shared my personal experience as it pertained to the thread topic.

You idiots use the same tactic in every argument. Blatantly obvious example of something you say doesn’t exist. Obvious problem that should be dealt with. You then switch immediately to dats not all dem! Just change the op to can’t tell you anything and move on
Huh? This is a poorly worded response.

So you think the problem represented by the "Welfare queen" meme (people using entitlements for luxuries) is more real, prevalent and important than the problem represented by the "cat food" meme (elderly people facing food insecurity and going without basic necessities)?

Is that the meaning of your post? If not, I have no idea what your meaning is.
People are convince the welfare system is rife with abuse because it is. The people abusing it are not the majority, but they exist, and it's more than a few examples. I spent several years for Toronto's government housing authority and every day I saw people abusing a system that is designed to help. Single mothers sat on a two year waiting list, often in and out of shelters, while drug dealers and con artists enjoyed their tax payer funded housing and monthly cheque.

Edit: And for the record, we were on welfare for a couple of years when I was a kid, so I know poverty, and recognize the need for a social safety net.
I was also on gov't assistance as a kid.

I'm not denying-- never did-- that abuse exists in the welfare system. But, in the states at least, we also have the opposite problem: people, especially elderly people, barely getting by.

My point-- as confirmed in this thread so far-- is that most people focus on one scenario to the exclusion of the other. I think this has to do largely with what "memes" (essentially, rhetorical arguments with extreme mnemonic effectiveness) we accept at both conscious and subconscious levels.

Last edited:
Huh? This is a poorly worded response.

So you think the problem represented by the "Welfare queen" meme (people using entitlements for luxuries) is more real, prevalent and important than the problem represented by the "cat food" meme (elderly people facing food insecurity and going without basic necessities)?

Is that the meaning of your post? If not, I have no idea what your meaning is.
Should we do something about the completely not representative of the average examples? Yes. Do those examples exist? Yes. Anyone claiming to have numbers is talking out of their ass

Anyone claiming to have numbers is talking out of their ass
Well, there you have it. If you blanket-deny all statistics, then anecdote is the only reality that exists, and we obviously can't write policies based on anecdotes, so we should probably have no policies at all.

This is an archetypal line of thinking of a certain primitive conservatism. Gets back to my response to @IngaVovchanchyn : no systems because any system will be abused.

Last edited:
It is incredibly difficult to provide a safety net for people who need it (several right wing posters on this board have admitted to collecting welfare, unemployment, and other social services), while completely eliminating abuse of those programs. I'm sure they could do a better job, but I do not think it's a simple thing to fix.

What it comes down to for me, is what bothers me more: Children who need food getting food, while others abuse the system. Or children who need food not getting food, and nobody abusing the system.

While I wish people would not abuse the system, and it disgusts me as much as anybody else when they do, I will always vote for the option where the poor are taken care of. It would upset me a whole lot more to see a child go hungry than it would to see a drug dealer game the system.

Well, there you have it. If you blanket-deny all statistics, then anecdote is the only reality that exists, and we obviously can't write policies based on anecdotes, so we should probably have no policies at all.

This is an archetypal line of thinking of a certain primitive conservatism. Gets back to my response to @IngaVovchanchyn : no systems because system can be abused.
Ok this is how we’re going to play it
Solid response

I think most conservatives would react to both memes similarly. Welfare queen works harder to game the system but neither did enough to support themselves through life. Conservatives usually aren't swayed by appeals to emotion.

Also @jamel pointed out the GM bailouts and how that is effectively a handout that they were okay with. I think that is a much better "meme" for the right than the cat food eating granny.

Conservatives are better swayed by appeal to number arguments than appeal to emotion. The GM bailout can be sold to conservatives because you can entice them with the promise (or lie) of a return on investment. It may not be real, there might not be a return, but the possibility makes spending money there makes it more palatable. No matter how you frame the welfare thing, there is no return on investment and therefore is a harder sell to those on the right.

This is an archetypal line of thinking of a certain primitive conservatism. Gets back to my response to @IngaVovchanchyn : no systems because system can be abused.
What statistics did you provide? There aren’t any. I help manage a program for people with scarcity issues across two states dick head. I have actual data on this but they aren’t representative of a statistical basis per se, given a large chunk of these elderly people fit the description i gave earlier. You’re talking out of your ass about something you don’t even have a surface understanding of. You and people like you are why I usually just respond with this is it. Thats about where I’m at on this thread too now.

I've never seen any actual evidence of widespread abuse of the welfare system. It's just anecdote city. Funny how so many rightwing posters have seen welfare fraud before.

I wonder if they're being dishonest?

Also, I'd rather 10 pimps get cell phones than have one child starve.

What statistics did you provide? There aren’t any. I help manage a program for people with scarcity issues across two states dick head. I have actual data on this but they aren’t representative of a statistical basis per se, given a large chunk of these elderly people fit the description i gave earlier. You’re talking out of your ass about something you don’t even have a surface understanding of. You and people like you are why I usually just respond with this is it. Thats about where I’m at on this thread too now.
You said, and I quote (not making this up, these are your words) "Anyone claiming to have numbers is talking out of their ass."

Then you accost me for not providing numbers... (which is in no way the point of the thread, by the way... go back and read the OP).

Then, just as a kicker, you claim "I have actual data" (so by your own definition, "talking out your ass"?).

You said, and I quote (not making this up, these are your words) "Anyone claiming to have numbers is talking out of their ass."

Then you accost me for not providing numbers... (which is in no way the point of the thread, by the way... go back and read the OP).

Then, just as a kicker, you claim "I have actual data" (so by your own definition, "talking out your ass"?).

This is it

Is the question whether there are more grannies eating cat food(because of hunger, not dementia)or welfare queens? It's not even a contest. The welfare queens have that one about 1,000/1. The granny hasn't been getting by on cat food for 80 years so she was probably scammed out of her money by some Nigerian.

I've never seen any actual evidence of widespread abuse of the welfare system. It's just anecdote city. Funny how so many rightwing posters have seen welfare fraud before.

I wonder if they're being dishonest?

Also, I'd rather 10 pimps get cell phones than have one child starve.

I'd actually try to feed the kid so the pimps couldn't abuse the system . . .

Back