Gracie weapon defenses

Esile

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What do you think about Gracie's techniques designed to defend against weapons such as clubs, knives and guns?
I have always considered empty-handed techniques against armed opponents to be bullshit, but it seems kinda strange to me that the Gracies will teach ineffective and untested techniques.

What do you think about them and what is the general consensus on this subject?

Japanese Jujitsu worked for hundreds of years.

They wouldn't have trained it into the perfection that they did if it didn't work.

NeWaza was only successful in early Kano Jujitsu competition.

Japanese Jujitsu conquered nations!

PersonallyI think empty handed defense in such a manner gives you enough knowledge to give you confidence to try to survive. If someone is trying to kill you and has a gun, walks up from behind you, your odds of survival are nil. I think going through the motions of defense only gives you perspective which may help. Their techniques are from other disaplines so not unique to GJJ.

Best training is to run

What do you think about Gracie's techniques designed to defend against weapons such as clubs, knives and guns?
I have always considered empty-handed techniques against armed opponents to be bullshit, but it seems kinda strange to me that the Gracies will teach ineffective and untested techniques.

What do you think about them and what is the general consensus on this subject?

Are they the same ones taught by kodokan judo?

Their bs just like 99.9% of all techniques to defend vs weapons, at least knife...

Are they the same ones taught by kodokan judo?
I mean techniques like this:

Their bs just like 99.9% of all techniques to defend vs weapons, at least knife...
Why do the Gracies teach them if they are bullshit tough?
I tought that they were focused in implementing working and field-tested technique while dismessing ineffective ones.

I mean techniques like this:

Why do the Gracies teach them if they are bullshit tough?
I tought that they were focused in implementing working and field-tested technique while dismessing ineffective ones.

Cause they need to sell some shit... I'm far from a Gracie hater, but knife defense is bullshit... You are going to get cut or stab.

Cause they need to sell some shit... I'm far from a Gracie hater, but knife defense is bullshit... You are going to get cut or stab.
Well, they have plenty of stuff to sell without needing to teach weapon defense.
It seems a dumb move to me, the risk to hurt their credibility is much greater than the potential benefits.

What did u say u did a while ago?

Sit behind a desk all day?

Les than 6 feet, less than 200lb's

Nothing physical other than school yard scuffles in your history?

Never served, never worked a bouncers job, never worked LEO, never worked operational security?

Tell us again how bullshit weapons training is from your vast experience of zero?

LOL!

What did u say u did a while ago?

Sit behind a desk all day?

Les than 6 feet, less than 200lb's

Nothing physical other than school yard scuffles in your history?

Never served, never worked a bouncers job, never worked LEO, never worked operational security?

Tell us again how bullshit weapons training is from your vast experience of zero?

LOL!

Nerver served, never bounced nor have ever work Leo, and it's fuckjng bullshit, you going vs someone who wants to stab you to death, you are most likely going to die... Rambo...

Nerver served, never bounced nor have ever work Leo, and it's fuckjng bullshit, you going vs someone who wants to stab you to death, you are most likely going to die... Rambo...

Most likely to die? Eh, maybe, most likely getting cut or stabbed? definitely. From my experience, it becomes a lot harder or easier pending distance. Given distance, I can assess a few things, 2 most important being, Can I tell how he's holding it (thrust or ice pick)? Can I wager the blade's length? These factors dictate how i'm going to react. If you train your reactions enough, it becomes easier and higher % that said, it's never "easy" Its still a battle of training vs training with him having an advantage.....the more you train, the more you close that advantage....though you never quite make it an even scenario. But what if there is no distance, say he's deployed the weapon while clinched.....i'm likely getting stabbed, hopefully I can somewhat dictate where and how deep....lol. That's where i'am at with it anyways.

Fackin weeaboo oriental fetishists i sware on me mum.

Anyways, men-at-arms have trained wrestling as a supplement for millennia, to cross blades then takedown or disarm their opponent, rendering them helpless.

But, you know, all of that is predicated on actually having a weapon of your own in the first place.

The whole idea of unarmed defense against someone armed is completely a-historical, and a-basic-common-sense-ical.

Last edited:
lol relson is the best at self defense of any gracie bar none and none of them will argue rener even says it relson changed the basics helio did its pretty detailed stuff very good too bad he doesnt let anyone record him i hated self defense until i really worked with him on certain things

Some people commenting here seem to be conflating having a potential means to defend yourself in a situatuon where your life is in danger with being invincible.

If you are in a situation where you feel fairly certain that someone is going to kill you with a gun/knife, would you or would you not want to have a potential means of disarmament?

Could you get shot? Yes. Could you get cut or stabbed? Yes. And the real kicker: COULD IT SAVE YOUR LIFE? YES. I'll take a gunshot/cuts to the arms/hand as opposed to having my throat cut open or being shot in the head.

Its also important to use some situational reasoning... is my wallet/phone worth attempting to disarm some cowardly thug who just wants to steal some shit and bounce? Not even remotely.

The most reliable way to disarm someone is to play jackie chan until you find something to arm yourself with.

Not all knifers are cut from the same cloth.

If you are a great, fit, athlete of a martial artist with killer instinct, and your would-be attacker is a regular chump, and he shows you the knife from a good safe distance, you have a pretty good shot.

There is a big difference between a threat display performed with a knife, and a knifing.

A fucking rifle won't save you from a knifing.

Not all knifers are cut from the same cloth.

If you are a great, fit, athlete of a martial artist with killer instinct, and your would-be attacker is a regular chump, and he shows you the knife from a good safe distance, you have a pretty good shot.

There is a big difference between a threat display performed with a knife, and a knifing.

A fucking rifle won't save you from a knifing.
Agreed! Do you train any self defense scenario stuff summer? I recall you saying you train all aspects. Aren't you mostly MMA focused?

I'm familiar with the Gracie knife defense. One my teachers has us do those moves every so often. My main problem with it is that it is never drilled live or with a resisting opponent.

The couple times I've done light sparring around one of my buddies was really fun and informative though...

I have the same problem with escrima, I get bored with the lack of sparring and feel like im doing a dance or playing patty cake with someone.

Agreed! Do you train any self defense scenario stuff summer? I recall you saying you train all aspects. Aren't you mostly MMA focused?

I'm mostly self defense focused. I did kali and silat for a long time and have taken everything at some point. I just think MMA sparring and padded stick MMA sparring are the best drills for being able to fight someone off, which makes BJJ / Wrestling, Kick Boxing and Kali Based Stick Fighting (not stick dancing) the best for it.

They just need to be modified a little for self defense (strategy for stronger people, bare knuckle striking, power lifting vs. staying in a weight class, reserving grappling until you can tell if the guy is holding something, pressing combo attacks and submissions vs. self defense and what is legal and so on and on). A lot of MMA will get you in trouble.

How about you?

Back