Gracie Mat Making Process, anyone tried this method at their academy??

Gracie mat system at the gym I go to.

GC02.jpg

How do you finish the edge? What did you use to attach the end of the vinyl tarp?

How do you finish the edge? What did you use to attach the end of the vinyl tarp?

Well, I didn't actually install it but since it was installed over top of a carpeted concrete floor it would have had to be secured with a 22 cal. ramset nail gun or something similar. The heads on the fasteners are about a 1/2 in. in dia.

So everything the tarp covers, is lower than the carpeted floor in the picture? i like to see what's underneath that blue tarp.

The academy in the video is mine. If anyone needs any information on this setup for mats, please don't be shy to ask. I did save a few $$ doing it this way, its easier to clean, and less possibility for injury, and since we are affiliated with the Gracie Academy, we tried to keep things uniform.

Thanks
Kris

Which academy? Timmons BJJ? How do you finish the edge? With wood frame or without? If without wood frame for edges, how do you secure the foam to the ground? With construction adhesive glue?

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but need some help with my new gym I'm building a 4000 square foot gym with about 2500 mat space minimum I can't afford thousands for mats I'm looking for any type of foam material to put a cover over for mats my local lowes didn't have anything sadly and told me to look up bulk foam but I can't find any in bulk anyone know of local places towns may have some types of materials?

I know this is an old thread but need some help with my new gym I'm building a 4000 square foot gym with about 2500 mat space minimum I can't afford thousands for mats I'm looking for any type of foam material to put a cover over for mats my local lowes didn't have anything sadly and told me to look up bulk foam but I can't find any in bulk anyone know of local places towns may have some types of materials?

I have the same questions, I know a guy who runs an upholstery shop, I'm sure he buys builk foam and vinyl tarp, maybe you can find an upholstery shop and see what they can do for you on price of 1" foam. Online retailers probably can't do as good as that or a carpet warehouse place.

Last edited:
its bs that i can't somehow find some type of 1 inch foam about 30x30 worth for under 1000 bucks

Back