Gracie Combatives Review: Conclusion, Bad For The Sport

Correct, they do not roll as much as some would like. Now at some schools that are certified they do roll, but only the techniques that they have learned. You can

Combatives are great against someone who has NO knowledge of ground game. I know because I was able to submit all noobs I've rolled with when we organized a grappling session with a purple from a BJJ school leading the way. I studied GJJ for a few months and paid less than $50/month. Against some white belts from legit BJJ school, I tapped everytime. I quit that GJJ school because they don't roll, as TS confirmed. One poster also hit the nail on the head when he said that's a MCdojo if the instructor wears a black belt from another martial art, but is totally white or just blue with regards to BJJ. My previous instructor did just that and still does wear his striking black belt, but he's just a white belt in GJJ. Oftentimes I question his instruction politely, because having watched a lot of instructional videos and being naive and curious, I tried to compare the moves and does it differently when the instructor is not looking.

I learned a couple of moves, sure. The students are great too, helping each other whenever they can. The system to check punches while drilling each technique is also great. I left because I wanted so much more - rolling and being taught by at least a purple from a legit school, plus the fact that I cannot imagine myself wearing a bluebelt there ,if ever, just because I submitted a video of me drilling the moves. I'd rather be a white for many years but under supervision by a legit BJJ instructor. For me, earning a blue in combatives school is just not worth it and would not make me proud seeing that around my waist.

I would go for Roy Dean's blue belt and purple belt requirements instructionals everytime, if I would be made to choose between going back to that GJJ school or learning from videos with a drilling partner.

Roy Dean is awesome I own his DVD set As well I train with Both Gracie DVD and Roy. I use Gracie as My foundation and Roy for My Sport. They have totally helped me understand BJJ in a major way from two different views. I wish you could get your blue belt from using the Roy dean videos though. That would be a toatally legit!! He teaches so much for his blues and has them roll with everyone to ensure they know what thhey are doing. Good luck in your journey and as always, Roll safe!!

I have no intentions of proving you wrong, I want to hear what people in the sport have to say. I am just speaking from what I remember from the program and personal experiences I had with some of the guys who train there, the competitors from the combatives programs within the usually tournament travel radius get dominated by people that are not that great. You are likely right about it being 36 techniques, and they are into the punch/block variations. I do not think that 10 moves make a significant difference, but you might.

Blue Belt instructors? Don't even pretend like you agree with this, If you have any kind of significant grappling experience you would not believe this, unless of course you just opened a school and wanted a few nights off, or opened a gracie combatives program...Then it is lucrative for you to say a Blue Belt instructor makes sense.

Trolling? I'm not familiar with the term I see you have used it twice. I dont know what it is but since you seem to be the expert in it, i'll let you be the judge of that.

Your response does lead me to think you are a blue who thinks highly of his skills, or you goto a school where blue and purples teach regularly. I only have to say, after awhile youll notice people you competed against in the past that you were close to in skill will start to seem like they are getting really good..... and when you want to know why that is... take a look at your blue belt coach on the sidelines, screaming random stuff at you right before you tap to a guy that you beat 4 months ago... Happens all the time when I work scoring tables I think its funny to watch the amatuers coach.

That's a lot of assumptions:)

I think you lost me with the whole "I don't know what 'trolling' is."

I will validate one assumption for you. I have certainly experienced seeing people in the past that I have dominated get much better than me and now can work me over pretty well.

Yay, I'm not a McDojo!!!
Hey, as long as you and your guys are winning legit championships and competitions, it's hard to argue against your success. As long as the academy isn't just a couple of deadly guys, and then a bunch of doods who got their belts in a box of cereal.

Before I started training, I heard that one important criteria for being promoted in BJJ was participation and good performance in competitions. I don't think all schools care about that, but it seems like the best way of doing it. As a rule of thumb, anyways. There are good BJJ guys who never compete.

No offense but this is old news. The general consensus is that the instructional quality is good, but everything else (as you mentioned) is bad.

I was in iraq, not a seal, not a ranger.... Just airborne infantry in 2006 2007. Please tell me how you experienced hand to hand combat and I didnt? The closest I came was kicking in doors and pushing peoples heads down if they were looking up, as we used building clearing. But at base we definitely boxed and wrestled around, waking up with camel spiders near you! You must be some kind of GIJoe bro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a GI JOE by any means sir, I was military police and learned hand to hand combat as well as was part of Mobile security team 3 out of sandiego we trained with seals and borded combatant vessels on VBSS team. also did some ops with the first Mar div out of Camp Pendelton and trained with there instructors as well.

MP's don't go engaging in hand to hand combat in their jobs... Or have things changed in the army?

Roy Dean is awesome I own his DVD set As well I train with Both Gracie DVD and Roy. I use Gracie as My foundation and Roy for My Sport. They have totally helped me understand BJJ in a major way from two different views. I wish you could get your blue belt from using the Roy dean videos though. That would be a toatally legit!! He teaches so much for his blues and has them roll with everyone to ensure they know what thhey are doing. Good luck in your journey and as always, Roll safe!!
Yep, I have Renzo, Cobrinha and Caesar Gracie videos too, but they seem all different when executing a particular type of move, so I always stick to Roy's. But it's good though, to have knowledge on a different angle.

Thanks!

MP's don't go engaging in hand to hand combat in their jobs... Or have things changed in the army?

I was not an MP in the army I was 11B. I was a MP in the Navy that is were I learned and were I deployed with the Mobile security teams.

qstp9u.png

LMMFAO!!!

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAH *Cough Cough* Ha *Cough* hahaahahaha ha.....haha....heh....heheehe...he....HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAA!

LMMFAO!!!

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAH *Cough Cough* Ha *Cough* hahaahahaha ha.....haha....heh....heheehe...he....HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAA!

I took the time to zoom in and put little pepperonis on the pizza. It's all in the details my brother. ;)

I took the time to zoom in and put little pepperonis on the pizza. It's all in the details my brother. ;)

and yet there is only 1 cable going to the wall, where's the network connection? router?, or wi-fi antenna on the computer :p

and yet there is only 1 cable going to the wall, where's the network connection? router?, or wi-fi antenna on the computer :p

Uh.....umm...

*Deletes internet history*

*Closes Firefox*

*Throws laptop into trash compactor*

Whistling_Boy.png

Back