Got into Quake Champions Beta

Cygnus A

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was a bit worried they were going to fuck this up. So far I can proudly say that if you loved Quake 3, you are going to love this. It is basically Quake 3 on steroids with some new abilities thrown in. Some of the Q3 maps are there. The high paced arena shooter is something I miss very much, and spent countless nights/weeks/years in college playing these back in the day.

Quake Champions and the new Unreal are bringing back arena shooters. Hopefully the younger generation will appreciate this as much as us older gamers.

Good to hear. Quake 2 was one of my favourite games ever, and Quake 3 was pretty fun too. I didn't get quite as much enjoyment out of it as I probably could have, largely because it ran like crap on my PC, which barely made the minimum specs at the time. I played more Unreal Tournament instead because it was less of a system hog.

My best friend got into the beta. He was really into Q3 in the day. He bought the Team Arena expansion/sequel and played a lot of the Rocket Arena mod. I'll have to ask him for his review.

It seems pretty good, I'm hoping to get to play some other modes. I love me some CTF.

My favorite characters so far are Nyx and and Scalebearer.

It seems pretty good, I'm hoping to get to play some other modes. I love me some CTF.

iCTF (instagib capture the flag) is my all time favorite FPS game. I hope it comes back with the new Quake.

I was a bit worried they were going to fuck this up. So far I can proudly say that if you loved Quake 3, you are going to love this. It is basically Quake 3 on steroids with some new abilities thrown in. Some of the Q3 maps are there. The high paced arena shooter is something I miss very much, and spent countless nights/weeks/years in college playing these back in the day.

Quake Champions and the new Unreal are bringing back arena shooters. Hopefully the younger generation will appreciate this as much as us older gamers.

Did they leave in strafe jumping and rocket jumping?

Meh, Im a Quake 1 guy. Unless they bring back the O.G. grappling hook (yes I lnow it was not with the original game) I sitting this one out.

Edit: I got into the closed beta, and it was a lot of fun, I liked the maps. But is is worth $60.......no, I would say more like 35-40 bucks.

Last edited:
Meh, Im a Quake 1 guy. Unless they bring back the O.G. grappling hook (yes I lnow it was not with the original game) I sitting this one out.

Edit: I got into the closed beta, and it was a lot of fun, I liked the maps. But is is worth $60.......no, I would say more like 35-40 bucks.

Yeah I dont think any games are worth 60 anymore. There are just too many out there and if you wait 1-2 months after launch they will always be on sale.

I've been playing the quake series since Quake 3 arena, and played a lot of Quake 4 and QuakeLive, while also sometimes playing Q2 and Quake World.

I was very much looking forward to Quake Champions but so far massively disappointed with what they've done to the franchise. It is still enjoyable because it's something new but I would say it's probably the least enjoyable of all previous quake games unfortunately. I get bored after 2 or 3 games, while I can play the other quake games countless hours.

I was a bit worried they were going to fuck this up. So far I can proudly say that if you loved Quake 3, you are going to love this. It is basically Quake 3 on steroids with some new abilities thrown in.

Please don't compare Quake Champions to Quake 3 or Quakelive, it's nowhere near the same standard. It is not "like Quake 3 on steroids". Quake Champions is a dumbed down version of quake games on a clunky engine and with some abilities like in Overwatch, which is not what quake is about.

There is also no console or cfg files and they're not planning to release that.

I highly recommend playing QuakeLive which is available on steam and is un upgrade of Quake 3 and you'll easily notice the difference in smoothness, movement, balance and fun.

They've released FFA, TDM and Duel so far and will release 3 other gametypes which will very likely be CTF, Clan Arena, and something else.

iCTF (instagib capture the flag) is my all time favorite FPS game. I hope it comes back with the new Quake.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll see any instagib in Quake Champions, let alone iCTF. Also would you really want to play instagib with the rail of QC? It just doesn't feel right.

Did they leave in strafe jumping and rocket jumping?

They kind of did leave the strafe jumping but it feels different to previous quake games and each character has a different movement and strafe jumping ability...

The rocket jumping is also still there but nowhere near the same, it doesn't boost you so much forward and high in the air and takes a lot of damage off you, it's almost unusable.

Yes. Movement feels very much like Q3.

Not really unfortunately.

The grappling hook wasn't present in any of the other quake games apart from Quake 1 and there isn't really a need for it.

Also the game will be free on release (not $60) and you can pay to unlock characters, skins etc. which is optional as you can unlock them by playing the game lots.

I've been playing the quake series since Quake 3 arena, and played a lot of Quake 4 and QuakeLive, while also sometimes playing Q2 and Quake World.

I was very much looking forward to Quake Champions but so far massively disappointed with what they've done to the franchise. It is still enjoyable because it's something new but I would say it's probably the least enjoyable of all previous quake games unfortunately. I get bored after 2 or 3 games, while I can play the other quake games countless hours.

Please don't compare Quake Champions to Quake 3 or Quakelive, it's nowhere near the same standard. It is not "like Quake 3 on steroids". Quake Champions is a dumbed down version of quake games on a clunky engine and with some abilities like in Overwatch, which is not what quake is about.

There is also no console or cfg files and they're not planning to release that.

I highly recommend playing QuakeLive which is available on steam and is un upgrade of Quake 3 and you'll easily notice the difference in smoothness, movement, balance and fun.

They've released FFA, TDM and Duel so far and will release 3 other gametypes which will very likely be CTF, Clan Arena, and something else.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll see any instagib in Quake Champions, let alone iCTF. Also would you really want to play instagib with the rail of QC? It just doesn't feel right.

They kind of did leave the strafe jumping but it feels different to previous quake games and each character has a different movement and strafe jumping ability...

The rocket jumping is also still there but nowhere near the same, it doesn't boost you so much forward and high in the air and takes a lot of damage off you, it's almost unusable.

Not really unfortunately.

The grappling hook wasn't present in any of the other quake games apart from Quake 1 and there isn't really a need for it.

Also the game will be free on release (not $60) and you can pay to unlock characters, skins etc. which is optional as you can unlock them by playing the game lots.
You say its not needed, the grappling hook, but u never played quake 1. It was a huge part of muiltiplayer. I dont enjoy the rocket jumping. Also the grappling hook could be used as a weapon against other players.

You say its not needed, the grappling hook, but u never played quake 1. It was a huge part of muiltiplayer. I dont enjoy the rocket jumping. Also the grappling hook could be used as a weapon against other players.

I play QW which is a remake of Q1. I also did play some Q1. The grappling hook hasn't been part of any other quake games since Q1 apart from mods. As a Q1 player you're going to be massively disappointed with Quake Champions, probably even more so than Q3 players.

I play QW which is a remake of Q1. I also did play some Q1. The grappling hook hasn't been part of any other quake games since Q1 apart from mods. As a Q1 player you're going to be massively disappointed with Quake Champions, probably even more so than Q3 players.
Why the fuck cant they just do a reboot of quake1? Let people host their own servers so they can set the rules. I miss the freedom of quake 1. Some servers had the devil dogs, some had grappling hooks and others had different custom maps.

Why the fuck cant they just do a reboot of quake1? Let people host their own servers so they can set the rules. I miss the freedom of quake 1. Some servers had the devil dogs, some had grappling hooks and others had different custom maps.

It exists mate. It's called Quake World which is basically Quake 1 revived.

Here's a video of what it looks like:

And here's where you can download and install Quake World:

http://nquake.com/

Awesome. Is it just sped up and do people still play it?

It's not sped up, it's just that pro players have really mastered the movement. Yes people still do play it, I was playing it on Friday actually. There are still servers running with maybe about 100 players playing at the same time on average depending on the hours.

However I have to warn you, be ready for some serious rapes if you haven't played in many years as those who still play the game pretty much have been playing it for 15 to 20 years straight.

It's not sped up, it's just that pro players have really mastered the movement. Yes people still do play it, I was playing it on Friday actually. There are still servers running with maybe about 100 players playing at the same time on average depending on the hours.

However I have to warn you, be ready for some serious rapes if you haven't played in many years as those who still play the game pretty much have been playing it for 15 to 20 years straight.
Yeah, jumping online in quake is rough after a decade.

boooo!!!

No other game has brought the same skill based speed as Q3 Arena with strafe jumping and rocket jumping :mad:

boooo!!!

No other game has brought the same skill based speed as Q3 Arena with strafe jumping and rocket jumping :mad:
Check out WarSow. The movement in that thing is fucking nuts. Can't play online because I just get wrecked, but I like the race maps.

Back