Gordon Ryan In The Gi, Nicky Ryan Heel Hooks, and Danaher Wisdom!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by iYoda, Apr 7, 2018.

1. iYoda

iYoda White Belt

2. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Nice to see Danaher demonstrating live techniques again, last time I heard his body was so messed he couldn't even do that.

Dogstarman likes this.
  3. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

That was cool as hell. Thanks for sharing. A room full of killers. Some of those transitions looked amazing.

4. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

There's a 16 year old that just started at my Academy that reminds me of Nicky LOL
    Scrawny kids can be nightmares

Bubblun likes this.
  5. mataleaos

mataleaos Purple Belt

awesome front headlock to the legs there at the opening.

6. leaf22

leaf22 White Belt

Yeah I wasn’t too keen on that, he’s pretty much pulling guard when he’s halfway to the back., but clearly danaher knows more than me

7. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

Was that Craig jones in class?

8. mataleaos

mataleaos Purple Belt

Yep. And here's a video of him rolling there

I have different thoughts. On one level I agree. But I also think it matches with their philosophy of jiu-jitsu. They have transitions from the mount to the legs too. I don't think they see a huge distinction between the legs, the back, the kimura position, and the front headlock position when no points are involved. They seem to bounce freely between those 4 control points without much concern. All things being equal I think they would take the back over the legs but I think they try to inter-weave as many connections between those 4 control positions as possible. So if Nicky went from the front headlock to the legs then there would be other connections to the back, front headlock, or the kimura. They may have more "systems" than those 4 but those seem to be the main 4.

It only makes sense with that whole mantra of "use your whole body to submit their whole body" when points aren't involved. I don't think that's a transition they would've practiced for Abu Dhabi last year. I think it only makes sense for events like KASAI, EBI, Polaris, and such.

leaf22 and Bubblun like this.
  9. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

Old age is honestly going to be a living nightmare for him with the issues he has now

Hip AND Knee replacements. Not to mention that they don’t last

10. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

i think the best body type is 6 3 at 185 pounds for jiu jitsu not only does it make triangles and open guards a nightmare but leverage with guard passing as well

11. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Let's hope medical technology will figure out something for the future!

12. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

I'm close to that size. 6'4", 205ish. I'm glad I got a foundation with Phil/Relson because I'm bigger than them but similar body type. Most places aren't nearly as good at teaching closed guard as they were.

TheGZA and ijustwannasurf like this.
  13. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

tru fundamentals really help you say what you want about old school guys but if they lose 90% of the time its due to points not sub

to me best way to make an amazing grappler is to teach him basic fundamental jiu jitsu then at purple let them explore more open guard options the whole way making them do hip movement drills and keep them away from youtube trying to do berinbolos

14. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

YouTube is a great tool, just not go into the berimbolo stuff till you get to at least blue

15. Judge

Judge Banned Banned

Um, you know you just get another one? They are man made. 21st century, dude!

16. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

No shit!

But guess what they have to keep opening you up every 15-20 years (less if you are active) to do so.

That gets riskier with age.

17. Judge

Judge Banned Banned

How so? Old people get hip and shoulder replacements all the time and I don't see their heads falling off over it. What it really is that it gets expensive.

18. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

it is but it
    hurts guys more than helps at times when blue belts are trying to tell there black belt instructor they arnt doing moves correctly cause they saw a top level guy do it differently ect and tbh even blue is a bit to young to start doing super advanced positions

19. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Open guards are really the foundation of modern jiu jitsu. I play mostly half guard but it's super hard to switch over.

20. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

i agre
    e but i think developing a solid closed guard first is good to do cause guys today seem like they dont like being close they try to attack no gi with to much space thats why alot of guys dont like half they dont like the guy being that tight to them but some guys are super strong and stocky tow here you have to get tight to make something happen

here is the problem with jiu jitsu today ben askren also made a point about this that bjj guys wana learn a new move every class they want 3 new techniques there is just so many ways to play its beautiful that there are so many games but blue and purples are you-tubing daily trying to figure this whole game out that would take 4 life times

i started boxing when i was 14 boxings an art of basically 5 punches my gym had just 2 guys and me i got private lessons luckly and the first week i was only taught 1 punch every week jab cross hook uppercut and overhand right i had to shadow box 6 rounds with just the single punches iw as learning each week

imagine how many times a boxer throws a jab in practice vs how many times a guy practices a technique in grappling now boxers train years with those few punching techniques with foot work ect too but still just knowing a technique isnt good enough once you can hit those basics on guys very well then i say explore new options people today have too many techniques that they half way learn to me blues and purples were alot better in the mid 2000s and early 2010s due to having solid fundamentals and the techniques they sued were very solid vs guys today watching a youtube vid trying a move 3 times

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018