GOP sued, stand by lie that opponent was a wanted fugitive -- insists it checked out on the internet

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/philly/column...y-criminal-record-gop-20180326.html?mobi=true

dixon-432521-e-wp-content-uploads-2018-03-joyfox1.png

We here at Clout can appreciate the folks in politics who dig up dirt on their enemies. But, like in journalism, there are certain rules to opposition research.

Or, at least, there should be.

If, for example, you run an online criminal background check on a candidate, don’t ignore the fine print — or in some cases, the ALL-CAPS warnings — about the veracity of the information.

Second, make sure you have the right person before mailing out fliers, creating a website about your opponent’s supposed criminal record, and erecting giant lawn signs for said website.

And if the opponent subsequently insists that you screwed up royally and got the wrong person altogether — whoops! — do not double down by insisting that what you published must be true because you found it on the Internet.

This brings us to the case of Joy Fox, a Democrat who ran unsuccessfully for mayor last year in Chester Heights, and in the process was branded as a longtime fugitive.

Fox, who works in the real estate business, recently filed a lawsuit alleging that Republicans in the small Delaware County borough confused her with a woman named Joyce M. Watkins, who apparently was charged in 1997 with passing bad checks in Durham, North Carolina.

“It is not her. She has a traffic ticket. Zero arrests,” said Fox’s attorney, Bryan Lentz.

The suit alleges that Fox’s opponents spread the false information in mailers and on Facebook as well as a separate website they created for the election, www.chfactcheck.com.

In November, when Fox demanded that the Chester Heights Republican Candidates Facebook page remove the information, the person running the page wrote back: “No lies here. Facts backed up with data certified by the state that brought the charges and by multiple agencies cross referenced repeatedly.”

Ginamarie Ellis, a Republican councilwoman in Chester Heights, also responded to Fox on Facebook, writing: “Our post is based on SIX background check reporting agencies. The voters can decide what to believe.”

Except, according to Lentz, they were smearing the wrong person. Fox even posted her birth certificate online showing that her name is Joy, not Joyce.

“I guess it was a little bit of a desperation thing,” Lentz said of the GOP tactics. “It’s like, if you looked up ‘knowing falsehood’ in the dictionary, they’d put a picture of this case.”

It appears that the anti-Fox website has been scrubbed and the social media posts have been deleted, but Fox claims in her lawsuit that her reputation has been “permanently damaged.”

Clout reached out to Ellis and five other Chester Heights Republicans named in the suit, but no one wanted to talk. Lentz said it is unclear exactly who paid for the background checks, mailers and website.

When a Chester Heights resident asked Ellis at a January Council meeting why she hadn’t apologized to Fox, Ellis would only say: “We shared information that was publicly available. We just brought people’s awareness to it.”

Yeah, that’s probably not going to fly in court, Councilwoman.

GOP using the same impeccable sources as Bloodworth and TCK.

Do you remember morality? I member.

"well now ....thats gonna cost ya"

IMG_5866.jpg
ginamarie ellis
An (almost) lifelong resident of Chester Heights. She jokes now that her parents brought her home from the hospital after her birth to 53 Bishop Drive and she is now raising her children forty feet away at 55 Bishop Drive in the Village of Valleybrook. She was raised on historic Logtown Road and attended St. Thomas the Apostle and then The Academy of Notre Dame in Villanova. Ginamarie was a Sunday School teacher at St. Thomas for six years, and stopped only because she left the Borough to attend college at Penn State University in University Park where she majored in Education.

Ginamarie’s two sons both attended St. Thomas the Apostle and are now students at Garnet Valley; one is in high school and one is in middle school. She is a Sales Executive with The Judge Group in Wayne by day and a YMCA instructor by night and weekend.
In 2008, she began teaching group fitness at Rocky Run YMCA as a BODYCOMBAT instructor, where she still teaches four times per week. You can find her there every Saturday and Sunday morning. Ginamarie has also become a spokesperson for the YMCA’s Annual Campaign, giving speeches around Philadelphia telling her story of being a recipient of a membership from those funds herself- and the enormous positive impact a membership at the YMCA was for her family and other families in our community. Ginamarie writes a fitness blog for the Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA as well. Ginamarie has a reputation as a problem solver and is someone who is not afraid to ask the tough questions, formulate an opinion and share it with conviction. Ginamarie is running for Chester Heights Borough Council because this has been her home for 30+ years, she cares about her neighbors and feels she can make a positive impact in her community.

Last edited:
Brb, looking for shits to give about the Chester Heights mayoral race last year.

Joy or Joyce... Same fuckin' difference...

the funny thing is should we blame the GOP who is doing this or the sheep that are mindlessly reading and voting accordingly without checking?

Last edited:
The suit alleges that Fox’s opponents spread the false information in mailers and on Facebook as well as a separate website they created for the election, www.chfactcheck.com.

^ And this is why I keep telling you guys that spreading completely fabricated propaganda through "memes" is not a moral or decent thing to do. You have even gotten the President to retweet fake facts.

It would be great if this kind of thing would slow down the fake news shitbags, but more likely it would just ramp up the "muh free speech" crowd.

Just checked my pockets, and it appears that I have no fucks to give.

Just checked my pockets, and it appears that I have no fucks to give.

You're right, who cares about slandering innocent people with completely fabricated attacks to score cheap political points.

Do you even Donald Trump, bro? Lying is in these days. People don't give a shit about facts or morals, just their "team".

From the sound of it, they knowingly spread lies that caused serious damage. On the other hand, politicians have the least protection against defamation (public figure + political speech). Will be interesting to see what happens here.

^ And this is why I keep telling you guys that spreading completely fabricated propaganda through "memes" is not a moral or decent thing to do. You have even gotten the President to retweet fake facts.
463037.jpg
WANTED FOR ACCOSTING KITTENS $100 REWARD

Republicans lying and cheating to gain political advantage, just business as usual.

She seems like a good Christian. You know, the spreading of bullshit as facts.

"well now ....thats gonna cost ya"

IMG_5866.jpg
ginamarie ellis
An (almost) lifelong resident of Chester Heights. She jokes now that her parents brought her home from the hospital after her birth to 53 Bishop Drive and she is now raising her children forty feet away at 55 Bishop Drive in the Village of Valleybrook. She was raised on historic Logtown Road and attended St. Thomas the Apostle and then The Academy of Notre Dame in Villanova. Ginamarie was a Sunday School teacher at St. Thomas for six years, and stopped only because she left the Borough to attend college at Penn State University in University Park where she majored in Education.

Ginamarie’s two sons both attended St. Thomas the Apostle and are now students at Garnet Valley; one is in high school and one is in middle school. She is a Sales Executive with The Judge Group in Wayne by day and a YMCA instructor by night and weekend.
In 2008, she began teaching group fitness at Rocky Run YMCA as a BODYCOMBAT instructor, where she still teaches four times per week. You can find her there every Saturday and Sunday morning. Ginamarie has also become a spokesperson for the YMCA’s Annual Campaign, giving speeches around Philadelphia telling her story of being a recipient of a membership from those funds herself- and the enormous positive impact a membership at the YMCA was for her family and other families in our community. Ginamarie writes a fitness blog for the Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA as well. Ginamarie has a reputation as a problem solver and is someone who is not afraid to ask the tough questions, formulate an opinion and share it with conviction. Ginamarie is running for Chester Heights Borough Council because this has been her home for 30+ years, she cares about her neighbors and feels she can make a positive impact in her community.

What a cunt. But.....wood.

I mean this is the party that is trying to impeach all of the democrat supreme court judges in the state because they are mad that the gerrymandered as fuck districts were redrawn to ensure fair elections. This does not surprise me.

I mean this is the party that is trying to impeach all of the democrat supreme court judges in the state because they are mad that the gerrymandered as fuck districts were redrawn to ensure fair elections. This does not surprise me.
Not to mention the crap they are trying to pull in Wisconsin.

Could my opponent be a pedophile cat beater? I'm just asking questions.

Back