GOP Senator questions a Trump US District Judge nominee at confirmation hearing...

Incompetence in government is nothing new. Ask 90% of senators some relatively easy questions about the constitution and they wouldn't be able to answer anything.

The only solution is smaller government!
Facile analysis and foolish conclusion. Are you on the political right?

Apparently the University of Virginia School of Law gives alot of take home exams.

Damn, Kennedy cracked Petersen's legal glass jaw. This administration is a joke.

Not sure what Trump is trying to accomplish by nominating this guy
The playbook:
1. Erode the foundations of the justice system with incompetent judges
2. Public faith in justice system diminished
3. Some shill clown: "Guys, the FEDERAL justice system is a joke! We should privatize the justice system"
4. Rich dudes now control the Law rather than just influencing it

Apparently the University of Virginia School of Law gives alot of take home exams.
Virginia is actually an excellent law school-one of the best in the nation. Although it produced an unprepared stinker in Petersen, the guy grilling him also went there, as did Mueller and a ton of other highly regarded lawyers. It's consistently in the top 7-10, putting it in the tier of elite schools just below harvard/yale/stanford and columbia/chicago/nyu (other schools in that float in the same range are UPenn, Duke, UMich, Berkeley, and Northwestern).

The issue is that there are many areas within law that have nothing to do with litigation. It's a bit like a geneticist forgetting things from ecology 101 fifteen years after graduating. So, while a practitioner in those fields should have been exposed to much of this within his first year or two, that was probably the last time he needed to know it besides the bar, which is just a cramfest. This lack of knowledge isn't a knock against an attorney. But it does mean that he shouldn't be a judge. And if he wants to be a judge despite that, he should maybe review your old fed courts and evidence notes. That last failure is really the most telling problem with Petersen's character.

(I'm also going to note that while a UVA law student could take some exams from home, the exams are timed, you need all of that time, and the time spent traveling home would count against them.).

Last edited:
Oh and credit to Senator Kennedy for putting this imbecile on the spot. It's good to know that there are actually some elected Republicans who don't want to US federal courts to be overrun with total incompetents.

Virginia is actually an excellent law school-one of the best in the nation. Although it produced an unprepared stinker in Petersen, the guy grilling him also went there, as did Mueller and a ton of other highly regarded lawyers. It's consistently in the top 7-10, putting it in the tier of elite schools just below harvard/yale/stanford and columbia/chicago/nyu (other schools in that float in the same range are UPenn, Duke, UMich, Berkeley, and Northwestern).

The issue is that there are many areas within law that have nothing to do with litigation. It's a bit like a geneticist forgetting things from ecology 101 fifteen years after graduating. So, while a practitioner in those fields should have been exposed to much of this within his first year or two, that was probably the last time he needed to know it besides the bar, which is just a cramfest. This lack of knowledge isn't a knock against an attorney. But it does mean that he shouldn't be a judge. And if he wants to be a judge despite that, he should maybe review your old fed courts and evidence notes. That last failure is really the most telling problem with Petersen's character.

(I'm also going to note that while a UVA law student could take some exams from home, the exams are timed, you need all of that time, and the time spent traveling home would count against them.).

My lawyer, and sometimes business partner, went to the University of Virginia School of Law (undergraduate Yale.) My father-in-law taught at UVA forty years ago, and my nephew was an undergraduate there. My daughter considered UVA for her undergraduate degree but didn't go there. The UVA graduate school in her field is higher ranked than where she attended.

That's why I asked earlier if this was a normal line of questioning for appointees.

If someone randomly asked him on the street and he couldn't remember something he hasn't been exposed to since Law School it's not big deal.

But he know he was going to be questioned by the US Senate and came completely unprepared.

Anytime I've had a job interview I've done some research on the company before going in.

Back