Google Project Stream

method115

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about this? My coworker told me about it and I signed up for beta and just got accepted. He already tried it and said it's amazing.

Seems to be only a matter of time before you no longer need a gaming PC and just pay a monthly cost to stream games. After looking into more it also seems like everyone has some project to get this going Valve, MS, and Google. I'm sure more on top of that.

https://projectstream.google.com/aco/invite

Nice. Just requested an invite. Really hope this succeeds so I can finally play games at work.

Nice. Just requested an invite. Really hope this succeeds so I can finally play games at work.

lol it's funny you say that cause that's exactly what I was thinking. I don't just mean during work either but also during my lunch times. I often just eat my lunch in like 15 mins and then get back to work cause I have nothing else to do.

This will never work properly, you'll always have input lag, display lag, browser limitations and all other shit i can't think of right now.

Interesting.. Input lag tho?

This will never work properly, you'll always have input lag, display lag, browser limitations and all other shit i can't think of right now.

Haven't tried it yet to verify for myself. Going to do it during my lunch break. My coworker says there is no input lag. He said in an FPS it might be different but as far as for a game like this he didn't notice any.

Now obviously there is input lag no matter what but if it's so small he can't notice that's pretty damn good. This is also new so they can improve upon it even more.

I will do NOTHING that will make Google money directly if I can help it. All they are doing here is taking other companies ideas.

Microsoft tried this crap with the rollout of their last console. No fucking way am I giving up ownership of my games, wouldnt for horrible MSFT, sure as hell not for Google who is already trying to dictate what is or is not acceptable for people to see and hear.

I will do NOTHING that will make Google money directly if I can help it. All they are doing here is taking other companies ideas.

Microsoft tried this crap with the rollout of their last console. No fucking way am I giving up ownership of my games, wouldnt for horrible MSFT, sure as hell not for Google who is already trying to dictate what is or is not acceptable for people to see and hear.

I have no issue with Google but I prefer to stay in the Steam enviorment. I believe Valve is working on their own system. I still want to own a gaming PC for competitive multiplayer which will never work properly like this at least not in our lifetime I imagine. It will be nice for single player games though where input lag that isn't noticeable wont matter. That way I can continue playing my games at work during lunch or on a slow day.

Interesting.. Input lag tho?

Network lag may be an issue.

Even though I assume they'll spin up VMs as close as possible to the client (with game server wherever) I can't think of a way they would get the latency down to an acceptable level for fast paced gaming.

Sending input information to a server on a good connection (let's say 60ms) and then having the resulting changes streamed back to you (another 60ms) and providing you have a great connection with no stutter at all, you're still looking at 120ms from input to representation of the action on your monitor, which would make FPS games unplayable. And that imo is a good situation, it could easily be worse.

Just another way for them to control everything.

Not interested. Laws of physics means this will only work on certain types of games. Slow paced or turn based games.

I have no issue with Google but I prefer to stay in the Steam enviorment. I believe Valve is working on their own system. I still want to own a gaming PC for competitive multiplayer which will never work properly like this at least not in our lifetime I imagine. It will be nice for single player games though where input lag that isn't noticeable wont matter. That way I can continue playing my games at work during lunch or on a slow day.
Sony has had cloud gaming for awhile with their PlayStation Now service. Iirc they bought out OnLive and turned it into their cloud gaming service.

Back