good wrestling mats for tournaments and gym

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
Im moving my gym into a very nice expensive gym. The owners very rich, and it's one of the nicest gyms in the whole state. the guy really wants me to teach for him. He told me well do a 75 25% split for the money and he will buy any equipment. I have about 2000 square foot of space, and i'm gonna mat about 1100 foot of space for now. He told me to go online and get any wrestling mats and gear i need, and he will buy it for my gym.

But i also wana throw tournaments as well, so i wana be able to use our gyms mats also with the tournaments. Whats some good mats for tournaments that are easy to fold up? Cause after each class we have to be able to take the mats up cause there's other classes there as well.

our club got a set of the dollamur mats with the tatami surface a year ago. they've been a lot easier to move than tatami. for tournaments we've got two spaces with artificial turf and they haven't been too bad to fall on. in our current practice space it's pretty rough doing big judo throws since they're on wood over concrete, but they're great for rolling.

the only bad thing i have to say about them is that the dye on the top surface has been staining the white gis at the knees.

i really would like the zebra mats the best they are amazing but not sure how great they would be for a tournament i may en dup getting the dollamor style roll out mats that are easy to layout put up i wana find some that possibly have mat circles like wrestling style to throw tournaments with to look more professional i want about 40x40 worth should be fine for tournaments with 3 t 4 matches going on at once

also grappling dummys are a must hes gonna pay for everything so i wana get the most out of this... id like to have 2 grappling dummys one for doing shots for wrestling and one with bendy joints for working ground i hear they are hit or miss moneys not an issue as long as each isnt over 500 bucks

Last edited:
I've actually moved hundreds of wrestling mats and have run several tournaments and worked in many more. Get resilite, or dolamur.. repeat resilite or dolamur if you need to be able to move them every day. 2 12 year olds can roll up, strap and carry the mat sections. Get mat straps with metal rings not the plastic they'll break

On a tangential note, are those mats they got at AOJ memory foam? It sure looks like it. Custom job maybe?

i really wish i could have the zebra style mats but im pretty sure those would be hard to use for tournaments but quality and grappling they are my favorite by far

On a tangential note, are those mats they got at AOJ memory foam? It sure looks like it. Custom job maybe?

AOJ has the judo style floor so you its better to take throws on, krons place has this as well, pretty sure the diaz brothers just put one in, im sure plenty more

Edit-oh shit, finally earned my blue belt in sherdogfu

OP, just out of curiosity is English not your first language?
Please don't take offense to the question. I'm just curious.

Back