Good recent RTS?

Quipling

classical conservative
@Silver
Reaction score
Played AoE2 recently with some friends. We also dicked around with rise of nations, Warcraft 3, and command and conquer (generals, Yuri's revenge).

Any new rts games with fun MP out recently? Only one I heard about was SC2, and that's already years old

The classic RTS genre is in a major rut right now. There have been a few good games over the past several years, but I wouldn't say there are any standout hits.

My favorites have been the 8-Bit franchise (Armies, Hordes, Invaders) and Tooth and Tail.

The 8-Bit games are from Petroglyph (former-Westwood guys) and play just like the old C&C games. What's really cool about them is that if you buy two of the games or even the entire franchise, you can mix and match the factions. Armies has two modern military factions, for example, and Hordes has fantasy humans and Orcs, so if you buy both Armies and Hordes then you can potentially have a modern military facing off against Warcraft-like Orcs. I highly recommend buying all three games just so that you can have access to all of the factions at once. It's a whole lot more fun that way, and the franchise pack only costs about 16 bucks.

Tooth and Tail is a unique RTS. Instead of controlling the camera, you control a single "general" unit and run around the map scouting and constructing buildings. When you want units to attack, you simply rally them to your location and send them forwards. Although this simplifies things quite a bit, there's still enough depth to allow for numerous strategies and give it lots of replay value. The game also plays beautifully with a controller, which is actually what it was built around (don't worry, M&KB still works fine).

Some other notable ones you can check out are:

Only one I heard about was SC2, and that's already years old

You're right, its years old.

But.... before you dismiss it for that fact alone...

*All three campaigns for each race is available, and that's 50+ single player missions.
*Modern rigs can easily play it at Max Resolution, with all graphical options set to Ultra, at 60+ FPS.
*Multiplayer is always awesome, and now there's online co-op missions.
*Depending where you buy it, it can be as low as $30. If you're looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck, this is the best deal right here.
starcraft_2_battlechest-39146785-.jpg

*Good luck finding a more cinematic RTS.

You're right, its years old, but its been continually updated ever since its original release, and still holds up to this day.

If you dont play starcraft youre not a rts fan, its the best ever made. Legacy of the void is still the best out

If you dont play starcraft youre not a rts fan, its the best ever made. Legacy of the void is still the best out
C&C Generals: Zero Hour > Starcraft 1 and 2

Come at me, bro.

<Moves>

I don't play StarCraft with my friends because one of them was a high-level player (for the US- he got killed by Korean pros) and I don't like getting my teeth kicked in that badly.

I don't play StarCraft with my friends because one of them was a high-level player (for the US- he got killed by Korean pros) and I don't like getting my teeth kicked in that badly.

They have a matchmaking system that puts you against people your own level. You would likely never be good enough to play any of those guys.

Like any rts, there willalways be people better than you. Thats no reason to stay away

They have a matchmaking system that puts you against people your own level. You would likely never be good enough to play any of those guys.

Like any rts, there willalways be people better than you. Thats no reason to stay away

Awesome, he can teach you how to play.

You guys can play co-op missions together, do 2v2 matches, and there's a co-op mode in which one player manages base resources & drones while the other player controls attack units.

Call him up and ask him if he'd be interested in playing together!

Sins of a Solar Empire

Company of Heroes 1, Homeworld 1+2 and Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 3. Still playing the first 3 to this day.

Starcraft series is good, but I prefer Relic games.

ladda ned.jpg

HW1_Remastered_07.jpg

Dawn-of-War-III-Logo-Eldar-Reveal.jpg

@Quipling

Which game are you leaning towards?
Probably ashes of the singularity or planetary annihilation.

This is mostly for an upcoming lan thing, so I'm looking for something that nobody has an overwhelming advantage in. Unfortunately, this means that SC2 is right out, despite the updates.

I got Age of Empires 2 HD recently.
It looks a loot better, and the gameplay is exactly the same.
Created a custom map this week.

Can someone post gameplay vids of the coolest RTS ?

Back