Good modern westerns?

Bone Tomahawk

Old-school western story, mix-in surreal bizarre foes and ultra-violence

It comes up in every thread but Drive is really a classic western/Ronin story isn't it even if the setting differs.

Firefly
Last Man Standing
History of Violence

You shouldn't spike the ball, before TS clarifies.

fockerspikeinface-o.gif

Brokeback

mmmmmmm

brokeback

Well, is it modern as in set in modern times, or recently made within the last decade or so?

And yeah, my God, DEADWOOD. Watch Deadwood.

Modern Westerns are a genre, ones that take place current day

I have seen the term applied to both on a consistent basis, so if "modern western" is supposed to be a term that indicates a specific genre then I'd say it has failed in its duties.

Maybe we need another term that won't be so easily confused. Like Neo-Western.

I have seen the term applied to both on a consistent basis

And I've seen it spelled Conor McGregor & Connor MacGreggor

Only one is correct though

Maybe we need another term that won't be so easily confused. Like Neo-Western.

That sounds like a description of Westworld or something.

How about we just talk about modern westerns & recent westerns

That sounds like a description of Westworld or something.

How about we just talk about modern westerns & recent westerns

I'd say that even if it's settled in your own mind, you're still going to face the problem of countless people saying "modern Western" to mean Westerns made in the past few decades, as opposed to classic Westerns made many years ago. I just don't think the term really works.

It's not like confusing action and comedy.

I'd say that even if it's settled in your own mind, you're still going to face the problem of countless people saying "modern Western" to mean Westerns made in the past few decades, as opposed to classic Westerns made many years ago. I just don't think the term really works.

Yeah, Petey!

Yeah, Petey!

HnRN9Pr.gif

The third back to the future is an old western with modern McFly twist.

Cowboys and Aliens has a modern alien twist to it

Tommy Lee Jones's The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada is one of the best modern westerns you'll see. It's a damn shame it's not more popular.

Back