Good Instruction no sparring??

DarkNoise

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So Ive been training at this muay thai school for a year and I have never got to spar. Ive been to beginners class and all levels and never have i seen anyone spar. They have advanced classes and sparring on Sat schedule for advanced students.....is this normal??? Class sizes are huge too....last night there were 40 plus students for one instructor. He is top notch and is best in area but I feel like I might not be getting the attention or training im paying for.

Im sure the fight team does but Ive heard of nothing.

ask your coach? not sure what answer you are looking for here.

So Ive been training at this muay thai school for a year and I have never got to spar. Ive been to beginners class and all levels and never have i seen anyone spar. They have advanced classes and sparring on Sat schedule for advanced students.....is this normal??? Class sizes are huge too....last night there were 40 plus students for one instructor. He is top notch and is best in area but I feel like I might not be getting the attention or training im paying for.

i dont know your athletic abilities but, if your athletic, capable of fighting, want to fight, and have been training for a year and never sparred once, doesnt sound like much of a fighters gym to me. For comparison, as a kid, the boxing gym that I started at, made my spar the very first day I joined but it was a boxing/fighters gym not a commercial cardio/MT/mma/kickbox/bjj gym

this sounds so much to me like the "watering down of MT in america" you see it everywhere. 40 students for one instructor? and you guys all partner up and hold pads for eachother, he shows a move, you guys practice and he walks around and corrects ppl right? This is pretty standard at just about every gym you go to now a days.

The attention or training your paying for your not getting I would agree with that, but most gyms now, the monthly fee isnt for private lessons etc, its more or less just to use the facility and have access to the classes.

to get one on one with the coach, your either going to have to fight for the gym, or pay for privates on top of your monthly membership I would guess.

where are you located and what gym are you training at?

from what you have stated, if I was in your shoes, I would look elsewhere, although looking elsewhere more likely than not will result in the same thing...different gym unfortunately.

i dont know your athletic abilities but, if your athletic, capable of fighting, want to fight, and have been training for a year and never sparred once, doesnt sound like much of a fighters gym to me. For comparison, as a kid, the boxing gym that I started at, made my spar the very first day I joined but it was a boxing/fighters gym not a commercial cardio/MT/mma/kickbox/bjj gym

this sounds so much to me like the "watering down of MT in america" you see it everywhere. 40 students for one instructor? and you guys all partner up and hold pads for eachother, he shows a move, you guys practice and he walks around and corrects ppl right? This is pretty standard at just about every gym you go to now a days.

The attention or training your paying for your not getting I would agree with that, but most gyms now, the monthly fee isnt for private lessons etc, its more or less just to use the facility and have access to the classes.

to get one on one with the coach, your either going to have to fight for the gym, or pay for privates on top of your monthly membership I would guess.

from what you have stated, if I was in your shoes, I would look elsewhere, although looking elsewhere more likely than not will result in the same thing...different gym unfortunately.
This

Sounds like a big chain gym than a fighter gym. These gyms pay bills so that's the arrangement. Just because there's a top guy there doesn't mean its the best instruction.

Carlos Newton taught at a big chain gym before over here and the instruction was like a spin class boxercise arrangement.

Even if they wanted to help, there's just too many people.

You mentioned 40, that's collasal. At 15 its already hard to keep track of a person's name, let alone fine tuned details. And if its odd numbers in class, you nist likely end up on the bag, and basically end up self learning at that point.

To me first day is too much.
If somebody’s sparing and they don’t know what they are doing, it’s a heart test not useful to training. Guy randomly swings, a newish guy with 6months that know the basics gets clipped and decides to prove himself and that the last time you see that guy.

I sparred in my first week, then ever since. I got the shit beat out of me, but I made me feel tough so I liked it. After about 6months I moved to a gym where you have to be invited to spar. Sometimes it’s a month or two, on occasion it could take over a year, but you have to know the basics and know not to spaz out

If somebody’s sparing and they don’t know what they are doing, it’s a heart test not useful to training. Guy randomly swings, a newish guy with 6months that know the basics gets clipped and decides to prove himself and that the last time you see that guy.

I sparred in my first week, then ever since. I got the shit beat out of me, but I made me feel tough so I liked it. After about 6months I moved to a gym where you have to be invited to spar. Sometimes it’s a month or two, on occasion it could take over a year, but you have to know the basics and know not to spaz out

i agree with you and thats exactly what it was....a test, my old boxing coach actually told me that. as far as ppl getting turned off to the sport from sparring, yeah i agree with that too.............another area you see the same thing happen is guys fighting before they are ready, either by themself, or by their coach, and theres alot of shitty coaches out there that just toss guys into fights not ready or well prepared, these guys either get KO'd or lose their first few fights and quit.

I sparred my first day, but I was lucky enough to be sparring with a lady that wasn't going to beat the shit out of the kid

I posted the gym in the link. Im very athletic and have trained bjj and some stand up at another gym but it was mma/ kickboxing kinda style not super technical. By no means Im I an expert but based of previous experience sparring is important if you really want to learn how to fight / do sport. Im not the next mayweather but id like to know i can defend myself a little.....I also feel robbed with tons of people in class...a guy i was friends with there said it was ridiculous and said he will do cross fit instead..lol

the website says perfect your technique in the beginners class and you'll be invited, but with 40 people in a class it seems hard to get spotted. Best bet is to ask a trainer personally and tell him your intentions you want to spar, compete and be in the better classes. I'd assume he'd get you to do some stuff, looking at your skills and if he thinks you're alright he'll say come in

Not saying its a bad gym...i just have seen no sparring and tons of people in class.

Not saying its a bad gym...i just have seen no sparring and tons of people in class.
Its possible they have a pecking order, that's actually common in this area of hobby.

1 year without sparring is actually very odd. I sparred after 3-4 months, and it was with the side of having to see how I do. Didn't want me sparring one day 1 for 2 reasons. 1) new guy inexperienced, so I'd get injured and a potential lawshuit on their hands, and 2) I know how to "play well with others" so I don't injure the fighters by some freak accident

There's no intermediate class? Only green beginners and the fight classes?

Talk to the coach about wanting to get to the next level and with the fight team. If he doesn't and is one of those guys who want you to promote the gym for free on social media before you can, then bounce, a gym here did that to a teammate of mine and it was fucked. One problem was he was more exp'd then everyone and tuned most of their guys up, and it don't look good when new guy does that.

That's odd, the Cellar's actually a pretty good gym, seen lot of their fighters at TBA every year

I posted the gym in the link. Im very athletic and have trained bjj and some stand up at another gym but it was mma/ kickboxing kinda style not super technical. By no means Im I an expert but based of previous experience sparring is important if you really want to learn how to fight / do sport. Im not the next mayweather but id like to know i can defend myself a little.....I also feel robbed with tons of people in class...a guy i was friends with there said it was ridiculous and said he will do cross fit instead..lol

took a look at the website, looks like a good gym or at least with good instructors, I have never heard of the head instructor chris cichon however looking at the webpage it shows he has alot of accomplishments and experience although it looks like its all amatuer experience? I did a search for his world titltes, and found it coming up as amatuer. but theres nothing wrong with that IMO to doubt the abilities of a coach, it shows he has alot of exp, so I wouldnt doubt that the skills or qualifications are there.......but if the effort is not, leave, fight, or pay.

https://www.thecellargym.com/fighters/chris-cichon

http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/WC08Results.htm

took a look at the website, looks like a good gym or at least with good instructors, I have never heard of the head instructor chris cichon however looking at the webpage it shows he has alot of accomplishments and experience although it looks like its all amatuer experience? I did a search for his world titltes, and found it coming up as amatuer. but theres nothing wrong with that IMO to doubt the abilities of a coach, it shows he has alot of exp, so I wouldnt doubt that the skills or qualifications are there.......but if the effort is not, leave, fight, or pay.

https://www.thecellargym.com/fighters/chris-cichon

http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/WC08Results.htm
Its not too bad, If TS is going to compete it'll be amateur first, but yeah, if he's just focused on the business side of things and the fighters while TS is getting neglected its time to move on. If things get bad he'll end up being fed for the inner circle of fighters, and thats a very bad position.

I'm starting to see a coach with only ammy exp isn't good, the pro game is completely different, and I don't mean in terms of skills, management and bringing them up there. Over here pro is nearly non-existent, so its ammy

and the pros I see here getting management by a "ammy" coach is bad, the required exp. is completely different

We often ‘spar’ but call it technique, it’s what you see the Thais doing with no pads or anything, it’s only at maybe 50%. We use pads but no need for headgear or mouth guards. Are you not even doing this? If not then I would chat to the trainer to ask what you need to be doing to start sparring and then bounce to a new gym if nothing changes.

It looks like a great gym to learn fundamentals and technique.
Just go ask the instructor if you can spar and join the advanced classes.

Honestly if you aren’t consistent the instructor isn’t going to remember or invite you. If you are as athletic as you say and go consistently, then you will stand out among your hobbyist peers pretty quickly. And usually be asked to spar or step your training up.

You should be sparring by now. Like everyone said dude, if your instructor didn’t ask you, you gotta go up to him and ask to join the advanced and sparring classes.

There’s no why to say this without being a dick.
Perhaps your not very good yet.
How many times a week do you train? Are you in shape? How old are you, what do you weigh?
The coach’s might think you need more time is all.
You must be reasonably friendly with them after a year. Like the guys above said ask the question, “what do I need to do to get into the sparring class?”. They might have though that you weren’t interested and send you right up. Who knows

Back