Good free resources to learn Spanish

jack36767

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
While I am looking for stuff on my own I was wondering if anyone knew good free resources on learning basic spoken practical Spanish. I'm going to be working with (and coaching) a lot of ESL Students
Thank you

While I am looking for stuff on my own I was wondering if anyone knew good free resources on learning basic spoken practical Spanish. I'm going to be working with (and coaching) a lot of ESL Students
Thank you
Duolingo could teach you some very basic stuff.
There are probably Spanish lesson books at your local library.

There is an app called "tandem" - it is a language exchange app, you can help people with a language (I hate helping so I ignore requests, lol), but you can learn Spanish from many native Spanish speakers. I assume it will be a little harder to get specific wrestling details in Spanish though, unless you happen to find somebody who wrestles.

There is an app called "tandem" - it is a language exchange app, you can help people with a language (I hate helping so I ignore requests, lol), but you can learn Spanish from many native Spanish speakers. I assume it will be a little harder to get specific wrestling details in Spanish though, unless you happen to find somebody who wrestles.
I'll check that out thank you

It's for classroom/ school stuff too though, and one of the reasons I need to learn is make sure they know what they should be doing.. and so they can't not do something because "they didn't understand"

Free resources should get you started on the basics.

The main issue is those things will teach you very proper, formal Spanish. That's great for reading a newspaper or writing a business email, but my guess is native Spanish speaking kids will be speaking to each other in the classroom with a lot of slang. That varies a lot depending on where they are from.

Once you have the basics, you'll probably learn the most just by listening to your kids and talking to them yourself.

The main issue is those things will teach you very proper, formal Spanish. That's great for reading a newspaper or writing a business email, but my guess is native Spanish speaking kids will be speaking to each other in the classroom with a lot of slang. That varies a lot depending on where they are from.

Once you have the basics, you'll probably learn the most just by listening to your kids and talking to them yourself.

Agreed

I'm an English teacher and this is the biggest problem I see as well with most school curriculums teaching English as a second language. An entire English book can be written on slang and yet it's almost universally ignored or atleast given very little attention. Then when students actually go to an English speaking country or hang around English speaking people in informal situations they are lost.

Agreed

I'm an English teacher and this is the biggest problem I see as well with most school curriculums teaching English as a second language. An entire English book can be written on slang and yet it's almost universally ignored or atleast given very little attention. Then when students actually go to an English speaking country or hang around English speaking people in informal situations they are lost.

Thank you, I figured as much but wanted to double check

Back