Good FAQ on NCAA Banned substances - Answers why Muscle Milk is banned

S

stewy37

This was written by a poster named ForceLineBacker on another board.
I thought it was pretty good and since the subject comes up here from time to time, I thought it would be useful

NCAA Banned Substances FAQ - College Athletes Read This

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well recently there has been a lot of misinformation spread around these boards and others about exactly what is banned. You hear it all the time...creatine is banned by the NCAA...you'll test positive if you use N02...etc etc. Well that is far from the truth. So to clear up any rumors and hopefully stop any new ones from the start I decided to help spread some light on the situation. I play D1 football and I know what's on the up and up.

Hope this helps.

So what exactly is banned by the NCAA?
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_o...ug_classes.pdf
The following classes listed on that sheet are the ONLY substances the NCAA does and can test for. We sign a sheet every year saying that is what they test for. Guess what if they find something else...does not matter if it does not fall into one of the classes as that is all the can test for and have consent for.

Wait, I don't see creatine on that list?
You're absolutely right. Creatine is not banned, and whomever you heard it from was full of crap. Creatine is perfectly legal. Same with whey protein and any other supplements that you have heard that are banned not on that list (or fall into the classes).

I heard Muscle Milk is banned, is that that true?
Well the answer to that is, technically yes. Muscle Milk was banned by the NCAA because it contains IGF-1 (insulin growth hormone 1) precursors. if you read the container it says it has "Growth Hormone releasers." Well anyone who knows anything will tell you that any increase, if at all, of IGF-1 you get from Muscle Milk is so negligible that it will never show up in a test. So unless you get caught carrying a container by NCAA testing officials continue to take it you will be fine. But, since technically it is "hormonal" it has to be banned according to NCAA regulations. Also you must note that the NCAA has deals with Gatorade and other companies that supply protein drinks and there is money to be made by them banning MM. Recently Cytosport and the NCAA entered into an agreement that allows Muscle Milk Collegiate. Now if you were Cytosport, and a majority of your MM customers were high school and college athletes, and the NCAA banned your product, would you not come out with a compliant product, different or not? Of course.

WHAT!?!?!? Caffeine is banned, WTH?
Don't worry, the mcg's/ml limit that is in state can only be reached if you were to around drink 12 cups of coffee in two hours. Also caffeine's half life is 6 hours so it is out of your system very quickly. So continue to take caffeine supplements.

What exactly is the drug testing process? How do they do it and where?
http://www.ncaa.org/library/sports_s...ng_program.pdf
You can read all about it there in the NCAA handout that you have surely gotten if you have ever had an NCAA drug testing official visit your college.

What exactly do they find?
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=803521
That article does a very good job of explaining the science behind the process.

But I heard that Protein supplements without certain ratios are banned?
Wrong, this bylaw only means that Colleges cannot supply their athletes with supplements that are more than 70% protein and not carbs. This does not mean they are banned though. Seriously how would they even test for macronutrients?

I am taking an over the counter cold/allergy medication, will I test positive?
No, pseudoephedrine and other OTC cold medications are not banned.

I take a prescription medication that is on the banned list? Is that okay?
Yes that is fine as long as you have a prescription and a legit reason from a doctor why you are taking it.

How do I find out if a certain supplement or medication/drug is banned by the NCAA? I cannot find any information on it?
First of all when in doubt, don't take it, JW for example. As many things can show false positives, and while it may be cleared later, your reputation willbe ruined and it will cause some serious headaches.

But, if you must really know this site offers confidential help on questions regarding particular supplements/drugs. http://www.drugfreesport.com/rec/home.asp <<<Use the login NCAA d1 and password ncaa1

Other FAQ's from the NCAA:

Who will be drug tested beginning 2004-05 academic year?

* Every Division I institution will be drug tested at least once each academic year beginning this fall. Please know, however, that your institution may be selected for testing more than once each academic year.
* Every Division I sport your institution sponsors is now subject to out-of-competition (year-round) drug testing.
* If your institution sponsors football, 18 football student-athletes plus eight student-athletes from one additional sport will be randomly selected for drug testing.
* If your institution does not sponsor football, only eight student-athletes from one sport will be randomly selected.

When can a student-athlete be selected for drug testing?

Student-athletes are subject to drug testing before, during or after their competitive season.

How and when are institutions notified of their selection for drug testing?

The National Center for Drug Free Sport (Drug Free Sport) will notify institutions via email of their selection for drug testing no earlier than two days before the test day. In some cases, institutions may be notified one day before the test day.

How are student-athletes notified of their selection for drug testing?

* Each institution will designate an athletic administrator to serve as their drug-testing site coordinator.
* The drug-testing site coordinator will provide Drug Free Sport with a squad list containing the names of each student-athlete participating in the sport.
* Drug Free Sport randomly will select student-athletes for drug testing and provide the names of the selected student-athletes to the institution's drug-testing site coordinator.
* The drug-testing site coordinator will notify the selected student-athletes. Selected student-athletes are required to sign the Out-of-Competition Student-Athlete Notification Form, acknowledging their selection for drug testing and will be present at the time and location designated by the drug-testing site coordinator.

How are student-athletes tested and how long does it take?

* Student-athletes are drug tested through urinalysis.
* Student-athletes will be observed by a drug-testing crew member of the same gender.
* The length of the collection process depends on the student-athlete's ability to provide an adequate specimen. If a student-athlete provides an adequate specimen immediately upon arriving at the drug-testing station, the entire process is usually completed in less than 20 minutes.

What about dietary supplements?

Many nutritional/dietary supplements contain NCAA banned substances. In addition, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not strictly regulate the supplement industry; therefore purity and safety of nutritional/dietary supplements cannot be guaranteed. Impure supplements may lead to a positive NCAA drug test. The use of supplements is at the student-athlete's own risk.

Are over-the-counter dietary supplements approved by the NCAA?

The NCAA does not approve any dietary supplement. Furthermore, the use of any dietary supplement can lead to a positive NCAA drug test.

Does a student-athlete have to disclose the use of prescription medications to the drug-testing crew?

* No. The drug-testing crews do not ask or accept any information about medications student-athletes are taking.
* The team physician/athletic trainer should be aware of all prescribed medications (and supplements) a student-athlete is taking. This information should be kept on file at the institution.
* If a student-athlete tests positive because of a prescription medication, the institution may request a medical exception for certain banned drug classes as outlined in the NCAA Drug-Testing Exceptions Procedures at www.ncaa.org/health-safety.

Can student-athletes beat a drug test by consuming large amounts of fluids?

* No. NCAA drug-testing protocol requires the specific gravity of each student-athlete's urine sample be measured onsite prior to sending the sample to the lab. (Protocol 6.2.5.1)
* If the specimen is too dilute, the student-athlete will be required to remain in drug testing until an adequate specimen is collected. This could take several hours.

So relax and calm down, your whey protein is not banned. The NCAA is very rational, believe it or not, about what they ban. Hope everything has now been cleared up for you.

Bizarre. I had JUST finished reading that thread on RossTraining. Good to see it's getting some exposure here as well.

I see some bull in there...how exactly is whey+casein+ fat hormonal in any way?

In sweden we have small tags in a lot of stores, they say "don't use if you will be subjected to testing"
I guess it's for the same reason as musclemilk, some diuretics too.

what the fuck? that's almost as stupid as people out there selling and buying HGH fragments. I just don't get the logic

I'd say it's an all or none thing. If they make an exception for Muscle Milk which advertises itself as increasing GH (no matter how minimal), than it opens the doors for exceptions to be made for other products.

That being said, Muscle Milk being banned is ignored for the most part. It and NO-Xplode are probably the two most popular products the university athletes buy followed closely by EAS Phos****en Elite. From talking to some of them I found out that the football team has a refridgerator full of nothing but Muscle Milk RTDs that are free for the taking. I just need to figure out how to get acces to that fridge now.

i dont like bumping threads but since reading this, i just wanna make clear

im getting tested in a week, and i drink muscle milk before bed. So to my understanding, the IGF wont be significant enough for the urine test right?

I'd say it's an all or none thing. If they make an exception for Muscle Milk which advertises itself as increasing GH (no matter how minimal), than it opens the doors for exceptions to be made for other products.

That being said, Muscle Milk being banned is ignored for the most part. It and NO-Xplode are probably the two most popular products the university athletes buy followed closely by EAS Phos****en Elite. From talking to some of them I found out that the football team has a refridgerator full of nothing but Muscle Milk RTDs that are free for the taking. I just need to figure out how to get acces to that fridge now.

Along with that fridge access you'll need my shipping address to share the wealth.

Seriously though, thanks for posting this -- very interesting read.

Glad this could help even a year later :)

i dont like bumping threads but since reading this, i just wanna make clear

im getting tested in a week, and i drink muscle milk before bed. So to my understanding, the IGF wont be significant enough for the urine test right?

You'll be fine. Nothing to worry about.

lol There is very little "rational" about their precautions. And someone might want to call the NCAA and let them know it's not the FDA's job to regulate the supplement industry, so pointing out that the FDA does not regulate it is neither here nor there.

I see some bull in there...how exactly is whey+casein+ fat hormonal in any way?

Actually, it CAN effect GH levels, nutrition can alter hormonal balance pretty effectively if done right. That's the whole premises of the Zone diet, which has a decent reputation.

But to ban Muscle Milk because of something ludicrous printed on the label is just beyond silly considering the standard of practice in Sports Nutrition Supplement labeling.

Hi everyone. I am in Boston University's vrasity track and field team. Its division I so we obviously have drug tests. We already had our first one. Anyway what I wanted to ask you concerns a new supplement I have started to taking. It is called Black powder and I think its produced by NO. Can someone tell me if this is a safe product and if I can continue to take it. There are no hormones inside I am pretty sure. Do all D1 universities have 2+ drug tests each year?

Thank you

It's not produced by NO lol. NO is (supposedly) something that the supplement makes your body produce more of (not really true). Blackpowder is made by MRI.

It's a dressed-up creatine/arginine/beta alanine/electrolyte supplement. I don't see why it would be banned, according to the link below, but there is absolutely no good reason to be taking it anyway. This is an excellent example of a supplement that fails in practically every criterion of the flowchart in the stickies.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=53e6f4804e0b8a129949f91ad6fc8b25

so ur saying that is a bad product? I just heard that it helps you gain muscle and I really need it cauz im 145 pounds and I need to gain and be stronger.

SO will i be tested positive? No i guess

Why in the hell would you be putting something into your body with no idea what's in it, what it does, or even who fucking makes it?

have u ever taken any supplements before I know what it does I dont know who makes it. I know whats inside of it. Plus the fact that lot of fellow athletes told me that the majority of D1 athletes take it

No, ya got me. I've never taken a supplement before. Of any kind. I just sit on my computer all day, everyday eating cheesy puffs & drinking cheap beer. :rolleyes:

If you know/knew what's in it, then why ask if it will make you show positive when you have access to the banned substance list. Look at the ingredients and look at the list. If shit matches, that's bad. All you really know about the supplement is that your "bros" said everyone takes it and it'll help you build muscle...you have no clue how or why it supposedly helps you build muscle. Read the FAQ and then do some searches for NO products on here. You have a lot to learn.

Back