Good Eats Recipe Thread

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
For years I've said that we've needed a sticky compiling recipes and food advice. Every so often a thread pops up and people contribute, but over time, it gets forgotten until someone creates a new one.

Instead, I'm proposing putting all recipes into one megathread that can be used as a resource for members of this forum. It would also likely bring more traffic to this sub forum (which has been lacking lately).

So, to start this off, I'll be adding a recipe that is super easy to make and my friends and family love.

KILL KILL's Crab Fries

Crab fries were invented by a popular sports bar chain in Philadelphia. I don't know of any other place in the US that makes them.

Ingredients:
russet potatoes - The amount will vary. The other day, I used 2 potatoes for me and my friend.
olive oil
Old Bay seasoning

Instructions:
Step #1 - Cut the potatoes into wedges about 1/4 inch thick
They should look something like this;

iu

Step #2 - Boil water in a large pot, and throw the wedges in for 2 min. I'm not 100% sure why or what the boiling process does, but it's standard practice for fries. I've found that boiling them longer than 2 min is too much and will make the wedges too soft. Then drain.
Step #3 - Place the wedges back into the empty pot and drizzle some oil on top. It's important not to use too much oil as it will cause the wedges to become soggy later. Just a fine coat will do.
Step #4 - Sprinkle on the Old Bay seasoning to taste (you won't need a lot as Old Bay is pretty potent)
Step #5 - Heat the oven to 400 degrees, place the wedges on a cooking sheet, and bake them for 35 min. Flip half way.
Step #6 - Eat them.

This recipe is easy as fuck and pretty awesome.

One variation that I often use. After boiling, I'll sometimes place the wedges directly onto the baking sheet, and coat them with oil right then and there. Sometimes, I'll also substitute olive oil with canola oil that I have in a spray can and just spray the fuckers down.

Either variation is awesome.

Sweet, good idea for a thread. I'll post some recipes another time when I'm off my phone, but here's a vid I made and posted in the s&c a few months back. A very quick, easy and tasty breakfast, high in protein and fat.

1. I don't have any pictures of this.
Rabbit or Chicken

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup butter
1 table spoon of curry
½ tablespoon of sage
1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and mustard.
Melt in microwave and rub over meat, basting periodically. Celery can be added to the bottom as it adds extra flavor.

2. Greek yogurt, vanilla whey protein. Mix, enjoy. So good.

3. Calico beans.
1-1.5lb ground beef, cooked.
1 pound of sasuages of choice, cooked and cut up.
5 strips bacon, cooked cut up.
1 cup chopped onion.
2 cans Pork and molasses beans (not drained).
1 16 0z can kidney beans (drained).
1 16 oz can butter beans (drained).
1 cup ketchup.
1/4cup brown sugar.
3 Tablespoons white vinegar.
1 teaspoon salt, some pepper.
1 table spoon of liquid smoke.

Drain the fat off all the meat after cooking.
Add them to slow cooker with above ingredients.
Cook on low 5-9 hours or on High for 3 hours.

I hate beans and i eat the shit out of this.

I've been using lettuce or collard greens for wraps lately.

You can pretty much put anything in them. It's quick and delicious.

There's a thai place that makes the most incredible lettuce wraps. This is the closest I've come to that particular recipe.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/thai-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html

If I'm feeling lazy, I'll just throw some meat on some collard greens with some other veggies and maybe some thousand island dressing and wrap it up. It looks something like the pic below.

roast-beef-caremlized-onions-and-roasted-peppers.jpg

1. I don't have any pictures of this.
Rabbit or Chicken

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup butter
1 table spoon of curry
½ tablespoon of sage
1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and mustard.
Melt in microwave and rub over meat, basting periodically. Celery can be added to the bottom as it adds extra flavor.

2. Greek yogurt, vanilla whey protein. Mix, enjoy. So good.

3. Calico beans.
1-1.5lb ground beef, cooked.
1 pound of sasuages of choice, cooked and cut up.
5 strips bacon, cooked cut up.
1 cup chopped onion.
2 cans Pork and molasses beans (not drained).
1 16 0z can kidney beans (drained).
1 16 oz can butter beans (drained).
1 cup ketchup.
1/4cup brown sugar.
3 Tablespoons white vinegar.
1 teaspoon salt, some pepper.
1 table spoon of liquid smoke.

Drain the fat off all the meat after cooking.
Add them to slow cooker with above ingredients.
Cook on low 5-9 hours or on High for 3 hours.

I hate beans and i eat the shit out of this.

That last recipe sounds really really good. It sounds like a lot too. How many meals do you get out of that?

That last recipe sounds really really good. It sounds like a lot too. How many meals do you get out of that?

For most people you will get 4 to 6. If its a dinner night socially you can sprwad it out to 6 or 8 and you wont feel ripped off at all.
For me its like 2 or 3 when im hungry and not giving a shit about calories. Its well worth it. I hate beans but this shit is tasty as hell. Simple, lazy and its ready when you get home.

here is one of my go-to receipes if i'm not really feeling like meal prepping a bunch of meals on a sunday. good enough to last me a few days. the macros aren't too bad
Servings: 10 • Serving Size: about 1 cup •
Calories: 209 • Fat: 3 g • Sat Fat: 0 g • Protein: 23 g • Carb: 26 g • Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 4 g • Sodium: 867 mg • Cholesterol: 50 mg

http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/

As part of trying to up our veg intake I've been cooking this about once a week and it's one of the few vegan (well I add some cheese/yoghurt to finished articles) dishes I can get past the kids without threats. I personally double the amount of peppers and black beans and cook the brown rice in chicked stock (I think you Americans call it "broth"?) but it's one of those things you fine-tune. http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/burritos-with-spanish-rice-and-black-beans/

burrito-fok-300kb.jpg

As part of trying to up our veg intake I've been cooking this about once a week and it's one of the few vegan (well I add some cheese/yoghurt to finished articles) dishes I can get past the kids without threats. I personally double the amount of peppers and black beans and cook the brown rice in chicked stock (I think you Americans call it "broth"?) but it's one of those things you fine-tune. http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/burritos-with-spanish-rice-and-black-beans/

burrito-fok-300kb.jpg

Damn. I think I'll make this one.

I'm currently making a slow cooker chicken in swiss chalet dip sauce.
Fryer chicken. Dry rub it with pepper, salt. Thinly (Goodfella style) slice garlic, place it under the skin of the breast and inside the chicken's torso.
Mix dipping sauce, place all in slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours.

Also going to be adding swiss mushrooms as a side.

For years I've said that we've needed a sticky compiling recipes and food advice. Every so often a thread pops up and people contribute, but over time, it gets forgotten until someone creates a new one.

Instead, I'm proposing putting all recipes into one megathread that can be used as a resource for members of this forum. It would also likely bring more traffic to this sub forum (which has been lacking lately).

So, to start this off, I'll be adding a recipe that is super easy to make and my friends and family love.

KILL KILL's Crab Fries

Crab fries were invented by a popular sports bar chain in Philadelphia. I don't know of any other place in the US that makes them.

Ingredients:
russet potatoes - The amount will vary. The other day, I used 2 potatoes for me and my friend.
olive oil
Old Bay seasoning

Instructions:
Step #1 - Cut the potatoes into wedges about 1/4 inch thick
They should look something like this;

iu

Step #2 - Boil water in a large pot, and throw the wedges in for 2 min. I'm not 100% sure why or what the boiling process does, but it's standard practice for fries. I've found that boiling them longer than 2 min is too much and will make the wedges too soft. Then drain.
Step #3 - Place the wedges back into the empty pot and drizzle some oil on top. It's important not to use too much oil as it will cause the wedges to become soggy later. Just a fine coat will do.
Step #4 - Sprinkle on the Old Bay seasoning to taste (you won't need a lot as Old Bay is pretty potent)
Step #5 - Heat the oven to 400 degrees, place the wedges on a cooking sheet, and bake them for 35 min. Flip half way.
Step #6 - Eat them.

This recipe is easy as fuck and pretty awesome.

One variation that I often use. After boiling, I'll sometimes place the wedges directly onto the baking sheet, and coat them with oil right then and there. Sometimes, I'll also substitute olive oil with canola oil that I have in a spray can and just spray the fuckers down.

Either variation is awesome.
Can't this one get sticky so is easier to come and post stuff and people have a chance to see it more often as well?
I have some recipes that I will be sharing as soon as I have time :)

Bumping this thread with a great recipe for Christmas time....(or anytime really)...this is not the "healthiest" dish, but it is absolutely delicious.

Gammon in Coke with maple & mustard glaze.

Ingredients

2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
2l Coke (not diet)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 onion (peeled and quartered)
1 stick celery (chopped)
1 cinnamon stick
½ tbsp peppercorn
1 bay leaf

For the glaze
150ml maple syrup
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
pinch of ground cloves or five-spice

Method

1. Put the gammon in a large pan and cover with the Coke. Add the carrot, onion, celery, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for around 2 1/2 hrs, topping up with boiling water if necessary to keep the gammon fully covered.

2. Pour the liquid away, let the ham cool for a bit while you heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5. Lift the ham onto a roasting tin, then cut away the skin leaving behind an even layer of fat. Score the fat all over in a criss-cross pattern.

3. Mix the glaze ingredients in a jug. Pour half over the fat, roast for 15 mins, then pour over the rest and return to the oven for another 30 mins, baste half way through. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins, then spoon more glaze over the top.

4. Stuff your face.

recipe-image-legacy-id--1163498_11.jpg

Galbi Jjim

2-4lb Short Rib (Bone-in preferred)
1/2c Soy Sauce
1/3c Rice Wine Vinegar
1/3c Honey
1 Korean Pear
1 Daikon
Carrots

For Garnish:
Scallion/Green Onion
2tbsp Sesame Oil

1. Add all ingredients, except garnish in as low cooker and cook for 12 hours on low.
2. Remove from slow cooker and toss with garnish.
3. Serve over rice

Easy. I make this once a week, and let it cook overnight. All the clean up is the cutting board, and slow cooker.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 4
I've been grilling veggies a lot lately. My 2 favorite are zucchini and portobello mushrooms.

Grilled Zucchini
- Fire up the grill
- Cut zucchini into quarters
- coat in olive oil
- drizzle on some balsamic vinegar
- sprinkle on some italian seasoning
- grill that shit

zucc1.jpg

Grilled Portobellos (easiest recipe ever)
- lightly coat caps with olive oil
- sprinkle a bit of sea salt
- Grill with the gills facing up for a few minutes.

IMG_0003.jpg

Note: these pictures aren't mine, but I figured they'd help.

I do the same with the mushrooms except i add cheese, maybe some salsa/marinara, and a romanian basil and garlic pepper under the cheese. So good.

If you guys never tried pho you should look it up. It's the best noodle soup I've ever had. We don't have many Asian places near me that aren't generic Chinese garbage. But I found these Vietnamese restaurant and tried the soup and it blew me away. I'm not a soup guy either. Also, Vietnamese sandwiches are the shit. Best chicken sandwich I had in my life. Shredded carrots go surprisingly well on grilled chicken. I've concluded Asia has the best cooking. I've tried fancy French soups and just wasn't impressed. Pho is where it's at.

She uses beef but chicken tastes incredible too. Pho is incredible. Watching Asians eat it was an experience in itself. They would slurp the hell out of the broth when eating. So obnoxiously loud. But there way was better, I copied how they ate it lol, just not so loud.

The broth takes time to make, but the actual soup takes like 3 minutes to reheat and prepare. I actually made the recipe I linked and it was amazing

Last edited:
I like to make Vegie Skewers with: Red Onion, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Green Pepper. I got myself a spritz bottle and spritz them with olive oil then pop them in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Then, I turn them over, re-spritzing and let them sit another ten.

Finally, I set them on the low oven rack on broil to let them crisp up a bit. They are delicious and I eat them every day. They became my new lunch and dinner side dish.

My new favorite snack, Caprese salad.

caprese-420x280.jpg

I use

- mozarella
- basil leaves
- tomato slices
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar

It's so easy to prepare and tastes incredible.

Back