Good Boxing / Wrestling Shoes?

Pain4Pain

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was under the impression that wrestling shoes can be used for boxing with similar effect, so I bought a pair of JB elite 2.0s and I was quite unimpressed. The split sole design was awkward and it would role when I would move laterally or at an angle. I am coming off of boxing in basketball / vans type of shoes, and I noticed the increased grip immediately on these shoes and the fact that the sole was emphasized on certain parts of the shoe threw me off balance on my punches as well.

Would a single, flat sole wrestling shoe design work as well as boxing shoes? If so, what are your recommendations.

I have had Asics with the split sole and do prefer shoes without them for boxing... Nevertheless, I don't notice that much of a difference while boxing. In fact, I just bought a pair of JB Elites on sale...

That said, if you find a pair of wrestling shoes with a similar tread/sole then they should work just as well as boxing shoes. Most, if not all, however, will have more grip up and around the edges of the shoe for situations one finds oneself in while wrestling—this might be what hinders your lateral movement. Alternatively, you could find some cheap boxing shoes for sale occasionally at Ringside, Title, or Everlast. I bought $20 Everlast shoes and they have been treating me well.

I don't have a ton of experience with the matter, the only shoes I have bought for both boxing and wrestling were the ASICS Aggressor's (used by Bernard Hopkins). They don't have the same type of split sole design as the JB Elite 2.0's/shoes you purchased and I am happy with them.

Bhop also wore the Asics JB Elite, which has a split sole.

But both the JB Elite and the Asics Aggressor have the same grip on the side edges of the shoe...

That said, a lot of pros seem to like the Aggressors.

The side grips will be present on almost any good wrestling shoe if I'm not mistaken so definitely consider this TS (as Hangulmalmotayo mentioned) . I don't know if it is the sides of the shoe that are hindering your punching or the split sole, do you plan on using these as combination wrestling/boxing shoes (MMA) or are you specifically looking for boxing shoes?
Upon clarifying this people will be able to give you more clear cut recommendations...

Well I was hoping to do some mixed striking + wrestling work with them, but I'll just go with boxing shoes for now. I saw people recommending the Adidas box hogs or Nike inflict for boxing. I have an average width stance, so I don't think shoes with grips on the sides of the shoe would work.
Budget is around $50-60

Thanks

Well I was hoping to do some mixed striking + wrestling work with them, but I'll just go with boxing shoes for now. I saw people recommending the Adidas box hogs or Nike inflict for boxing. I have an average width stance, so I don't think shoes with grips on the sides of the shoe would work.
Budget is around $50-60

Thanks
If you plan on wrestling at all, I'd go with wrestling shoes. Boxing shoes are not that different in feel.

Also, I tend to think that expensive boxing shoes are really not that much better, if at all, than cheaper ones.

Boxing shoes really aren't good for wrestling, you will break them a lot quicker wrestling in them. Stick with wrestling shoes like hangulmalmotayo said, even if you just do a little.

Recently got the Nike hyperko boxing shoes, expensive shoes are all about the weight compare to low/mid end ones. Light as a t-shirt literally.

Boxing shoes really aren't good for wrestling, you will break them a lot quicker wrestling in them. Stick with wrestling shoes like hangulmalmotayo said, even if you just do a little.

Recently got the Nike hyperko boxing shoes, expensive shoes are all about the weight compare to low/mid end ones. Light as a t-shirt literally.
I always 'like' when someone agrees with me.

I'd love HyperKOs at some point in the future.

LOL you guys are quite the gear enthusiasts, I'm just a hobbyist So what models would you recommend for $50-60? I am open to wrestling shoes that work better for boxing or decent boxing shoes.

Thank you.

LOL you guys are quite the gear enthusiasts, I'm just a hobbyist So what models would you recommend for $50-60? I am open to wrestling shoes that work better for boxing or decent boxing shoes.

Thank you.
If you didn't like the JB Elite 2.0, I'm not sure what wrestling shoe to recommend. I usually just buy whatever is on sale (on average, I probably spend $25-30 for a pair).

Otherwise, try Ringside or Title for their shoes. They're nothing special, but they'll get the job done...

https://www.titleboxing.com/title-s...YE_d2VXX186Bijp7_YpKaG0GVwdqIe_LHIRoCwsXw_wcB

or

http://www.ringside.com/apparel/shoes-1.html

If you're in the US, I would check Amazon before making the purchase because they're sometimes cheaper there...

Also, apart from my high school wrestling shoes (which were cheap Asics), most shoes I've used for boxing have not lasted that long. With regular use, maybe six months before they started falling apart. They wear out pretty quickly...

Might be because I didn't invest, though. So that's some food for thought...

Ok, how about Adidas Box Hog 2? I prefer a flat sole as again I don't utilize a wide stance.

A few thoughts on wrestling shoes for boxing.

We have previously overnighted a pair of Split Seconds (Snap downs are a similar shoe now) to a boxer that was fighting on HBO that weekend. Another boxer that was in the store more recently bought a pair of adidas Pretereo III wrestling shoes.

And just a more general comment, a lot of my customers will buy the same model of shoe year in and year out. So once they figure out something that works, they stay with that line of shoes. For the most part, the shoes just get tweaked a little bit ever couple of years.

A few people said they would be doing some MMA training in them too, I have seen UFC fighters in Nike Inflicts and Freeks too.

Jeff Pape
WrestlingGear.Com

Train in vibrams, everyone will think you look cool and no one will make fun of you

Train in vibrams, everyone will think you look cool and no one will make fun of you
I actually considered it after searching on boxing forums. I saw a lot of people recommend the KSO model.

I returned the Asics, I'll continue boxing in my flat soled Vans for now. Raised side soles on shoes = terrible boxing shoes. I was falling side to side while hitting the bag, disrupted my pivoting and lateral movement. The split sole would roll under and get crunched up, terrible experience.

May be because I was boxing on a rubber gym floor, but my vans work pretty well, have the right amount of traction and grip on those black rubber mats.

I've only boxed on canvas once at a well known gym in LA, and IIRC my vans were not grippy enough for that occassion.

Back