Good and bad news on new TOOL album (October 2016)

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
To put waiting in perspective, last time these guys released an album Chuck KO'd Randy, Ace Franklin fought David Loisseau, my man Andrej fought Big Tim twice and Babalu was still in the UFC, lol.

Yeah, it's been a while.

57d5c3b8f92b769f34a2ef9bf29c2298.jpg

30 October 2016

Bad news is despite a museum of rumours over the past year, the LP is not even close to being finished - I know, WTF; good news? Some 6 days ago an interview with their guitarist (Adam) gave some insight on what they'd been up to, to include now having three days a week dedicated to songwriting for the album and having already recorded two albums' worth of music but more in keeping the blood flowing, so to say - my interpretation at least.

Prince upon passing had a lot of unreleased music in his vault; I can't imagine the amount of material these guys have that might never see the light of day...

TLDR: Sherbrothers going to have to wait.

Sauce:

http://www.inquisitr.com/3653201/ne...s-confirms-upcoming-album-with-latest-remark/

Well the wait certainly sucks but I have no doubt it will be worth it.

If you're out of ideas you're out of ideas

Album will suck

If you're out of ideas you're out of ideas

Album will suck
You really think the hiatus has been them hurting creatively though?

I have held the impression that although a lawsuit was really putting a damper on things (article), they have too many ideas to get the clay into specific shapes, so to say.

I like what @Jackonfire says, because they are more like artists in the classical sense to me than musicians.

I would like to see a Bluray of live stuff from the Ænima tour as well as the Lateralus tour. That or just Audio the same quality as the Salival release.

The Band itself is better than ever. But Maynard can't do the same stuff vocally as he used to.

I never thought someone would take longer than D' Angelo to make an album...

I never thought someone would take longer than D' Angelo to make an album...
Not familiar with this person. How long in that case? Because this TOOL marathon is proving not for the faint of heart. ?1?

Not familiar with this person. How long in that case? Because this TOOL marathon is proving not for the faint of heart. ?1?

He's an R&B artist, 15 years between his 2nd and 3rd album (which finally came out this year).

He's an R&B artist, 15 years between his 2nd and 3rd album (which finally came out this year).
It's interesting in cases like this because the sustained absence drives two extremes - (a) cultlike attention on which because it's been anticipated for so long, or (b) everyone has moved on save for a small collective of diehards, i.e., you a decade late and a dollar short.

How did this guy do on reception with the comeback album, HJ? More (a) or (b)?

Thanks for the news. I love tool, but I don't really follow music news that close anymore. I kind of figured that Maynard was more focused on Pusifer and his wineries these days. I'm glad Tool is in the studio though.

Thanks for the news. I love tool, but I don't really follow music news that close anymore. I kind of figured that Maynard was more focused on Pusifer and his wineries these days. I'm glad Tool is in the studio though.
Cheers, Mandrake.

I'm the same as you; I rarely follow music news with so much going on elsewhere in the world, so when I saw this article and its publishing having only been a couple days ago, I instantly thought of sharing it with Sherbrothers who are fans too. Adam mentions a couple tracks having music completed and might see release on the album but no vocals yet to speak of, so I don't see why late 2017 wouldn't be a reasonable timeline.

Artists though - there are symphonies I've read that took 20 years to complete and I believe both Michelangelo and Leonardo spent around 15 years on each of their masterworks (Sistine Ch. and Mona Lisa, respectively). As da Vinci done Vinci, so does Maynard Maynard.

haven't been a fan of their music since the aenima days. and even then, i only liked maybe half the album. didn't care for the carnival music, nazi-sounding chanting, and italian threats. but i still listen to undertow often. hopefully they'll put out something good. i know that a lot of people like post-aenima stuff. count me out.

haven't been a fan of their music since the aenima days. and even then, i only liked maybe half the album. didn't care for the carnival music, nazi-sounding chanting, and italian threats. but i still listen to undertow often. hopefully they'll put out something good. i know that a lot of people like post-aenima stuff. count me out.

Ænima and Laterals are two of the greatest back to back rock albums ever released. As for the tracks you didnt care for. They were actually interludes. Carnival music.. That was an organ harmony into version of "jimmy" . The Nazi sounding interlude was " die er von satan" is actually just a spoken recipe for baking hashish cookies. The Italian Threats is an angry recorded message from a disgruntled acquaintance of James Maynard who was kicked out of his home for overstaying his welcome..

This is message from harry manback II (off the "SALIVAL" album) :

Last edited:
Agreed. Original bass player from Opiate and Undertow really added something to that band and when he left they haven't been the same.

It's interesting in cases like this because the sustained absence drives two extremes - (a) cultlike attention on which because it's been anticipated for so long, or (b) everyone has moved on save for a small collective of diehards, i.e., you a decade late and a dollar short.

How did this guy do on reception with the comeback album, HJ? More (a) or (b)?

It went well on both accounts for him. I think Tool fans (like myself) are just as die hard, assuming it comes out before we all die...

Ænima and Laterals are two of the greatest back to back rock albums ever released. As for the tracks you didnt care for. They were actually interludes. Carnival music.. That was an organ harmony into version of "jimmy" . The Nazi sounding interlude was " die er von satan" is actually just a spoken recipe for baking hashish cookies. The Italian Threats is an angry recorded message from a disgruntled acquaintance of James Maynard who was kicked out of his home for overstaying his welcome..

This is message from harry manback II :

Just don't think he's feeling it, mate. As everything TOOL puts out is so conceptual, I think the interludes are as important to the LP as the tracks themselves.

How you approach them is relevant as well - think on LAMC from the Salival release, is that a track or interlude... The album experience with TOOL is what you and I want, so breaking a single track down for someone is a good sign it's not their cup of tea; Aenima is incredible, but to each his own.

Also, it should be Die Eier... (one would be just Ei) as part of any recipe calls for several eggs, no? ;)

Just don't think he's feeling it, mate. As everything TOOL puts out is so conceptual, I think the interludes are as important to the LP as the tracks themselves.

How you approach them is relevant as well - think on LAMC from the Salival release, is that a track or interlude... The album experience with TOOL is what you and I want, so breaking a single track down for someone is a good sign it's not their cup of tea; Aenima is incredible, but to each his own.

Also, it should be Die Eier... (one would be just Ei) as part of any recipe calls for several eggs, no? ;)

I belive the recipe calls for no egg's if I remember correctly.

I have the cd, original lp (sealed) and a re-issue lp of Ænima that I use as a "player". Def one I listen to end to end.

I belive the recipe calls for no egg's if I remember correctly.

Touché. :p

I have the cd, original lp (sealed) and a re-issue lp of Ænima that I use as a "player". Def one I listen to end to end.

Respect, 22. Does your sealed copy have the misprint on the overleaf of Die Er von...? Because that would be a serious collector's item.

Touché. :p

Respect, 22. Does your sealed copy have the misprint on the overleaf of Die Er von...? Because that would be a serious collector's item.

I should know, but i'm not sure to be honest. it's put away right now. Cuz I use the reprint as the player.

Would love to buy an official 10,000 days double long play. (it doesn't exist).

Most casual fans sleep on this album.

Some amazing ish if you ask me.

When I go to a tool show, I have been to like 6 or more. I call it the Danny Carey show.
carey_danny_4.jpg

Last edited:
Just remembered I saw Tool live in Roskilde in 2006, apropos the last time they released an album. Christ that's a long time ago. Seems like an earlier life, a different era.

Back