Gomi .. What happened?

People doubting Gomi.. You forgot how he single handedly destroyed Chutebox?

His KO of Azeredo is still one of my favorites.
iu

Lost his motivation and stopped evolving.

Concurrently, the quality / quantity of the lightweight talent pool increased dramatically in the late-2000s, so everyone caught up to Gomi's level—then surpassed him—while he arguably went backwards.

Kind of normal...
Guys like Chuck, Fedor, Shogun, Gomi all started slowing down around 2007. After that it has only gone downhill... We can not expect them to do very good 10 (!) years after they started declining.

If I am not mistaken, around 2005-2007 Maurice Green started to decline... Now 10 years after his decline, I don't think he could compete among the top 500... Even if he still carries his GOAT tattoo with pride..

Fighting tomato cans in Japan vs fighting professionals in the UFC where most contenders wrestled prior to high school and through college.

And what happened with BJ?
Finally fought a real fighter like Denis Siver instead of fighting tomato cans at LW?

I don't know if it's true, but I read here in the forums that he was very fond of alcohol. Maybe it caught up to him

takanori%20gomi%20drinks%20beer.jpg

People get old man. Fans seriously under estimate what age and time does.

The surprising thing is more really that he's carried on fighting, the Miles Jury fight almost 4 years ago was a clear "time to retire" sign for me the way he went down so easily yet he's fought 5 times since then.

Fighting tomato cans in Japan vs fighting professionals in the UFC where most contenders wrestled prior to high school and through college.

He has some quality wins in those "tomato's" and a few wars.. Dude was a good fighter but age beats them all

he's had 50 fights, and thats just on the paper.
so yea.....

Age, motivation, too many wars, abandoned the ground game and most importantly BEEEEER!

how can people talk about his lack of motivation like they know him? The reason why he's losing is because he's passed his prime. He's getting up there in age plus all the miles he has on his body from training and fighting all these years.
Fighting is a young man's sport, just look at all the past greats, they get old and start losing to fighters that they would of smashed in their heyday.

Since 2010 Gomi 4-10, BJ 1-7-1 - getting old sucks if you keep fighting.

There's no 'maybe' not as good either, they did fight after all but yeah Gomi fights were entertaining.
I agree that prime BJ was greater than prime FK but the stats you posted since 2010....yikes...

<6>

Back