Golovkin's performance against Jacobs. | Page 2

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by CastletonSnob, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Bogotazo Blue Belt

Bogotazo
    Jacobs was much better and had numerous advantages. Size, speed, the ability to switch stances, and power of his own. Golovkin's age is relevant on the technical side of things, not really the physical. He used to look more versatile but the GGG who became famous, while still technically sound, was more hittable and had less defensive tools. His biggest problem was merely shelling up and stepping back when flurried. Jacobs exploited this over and over.

2. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    A few things:
    1. Jacobs is a top 3 MW.
    2. He fights to the level of his opppsition.
    3. Statistically, pressure fighters peak at 30 and fade progressively after that so GGG iwas and is on borrowed time. Too bad he was ducked for 5 years by champs....
    4. When you're fighting top guys, fights will be close.

Jacobs should be fighting a relevant name like Lemieux, BJS, or someone else. Meanwhile, BJS is fighting Martin Murray and lemmy is licking his wounds. He is not gonna fight forever, and probably even less if he gets C level guys and then gets one or two B or A level guys. I'm worried they will let him fade and then use him once he gets a bit long in the tooth to build Charlo's name. :-(

Benry likes this.
  3. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    Once he realized his power wouldn't even shake Golovkin I recall him changing things. No disrespect to Danny. Both men showed up that night and I still enjoy rewatching that match.

4. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    Sure, it goes both ways.

5. The Can Opener Brown Belt

The Can Opener
    Ward having Jacobs switch stances for the fight probably saved him from getting knocked out and from having a chance to get a knockout himself. So it became a boxing match and GGG showed that his jab can make him the equal of anyone in the division. The single knockdown probably won that fight for him.

4daLuLZ likes this.
  6. RR Step into the lab

RR
    Canelo's movement has really impressed me lately. Danny beats him but it looks like Taylor/Winky

7. Julius_Caesar Brown Belt

Julius_Caesar
    Because fight fans confuse aggression and KO's with effectiveness. Fans tend to overrate the more exciting KO fighters.

GGG has that aggressive pressure style that looks good against all the C level fighters he was facing but once he faced better opposition like Canelo, Jacobs and even Kell Brook you can see he looked a lot less menacing.

In a way (and I could be wrong) I think people are starting to do this with Spence. Spence is exciting, aggressive and has many KO's so people are starting to say he will beat everyone at 147 but I'm not gonna confuse the fact that he beats the crap out of guys with how he will do against a smart slick boxer like Crawford.

Kassitus likes this.
  8. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    In some ways both men are in the same arc, just in different spots. Both have the nature of the come forward puncher. Both use the jab. Both have wickrd body work. Both fight witth grinding, exhausting styles. Both are criticized for an apparent lack of boxing, and a reliance on bullying. Spence is starting to be avoided, but he is still young. GGG is much older and not being avoided anymore.

A few salient differences emerge. Firstly, GGG is better at cutting off the ring and has a better jab, but I would say Spence shows a little more discipline in sticking to the gameplan. Spence is an American and started breaking out at a younger age, whereas Golovkin is obviously not and only started getting attention in thr past couple of years.

9. Draper Yellow Card

Draper
    Golovkin has never been as good as advertised.

Strange King likes this.
  10. nastyleft Brown Belt

nastyleft
    Golovkin did what Golovkin does. He finally fought a next tiered world class opponent with attributes and skills that matched up well against him in Jacobs. No voodoo about it. Golovkin is a high level world class puncher but hasnt improved in years. He's so high level that he drew with probably a Top 3 skilled guy in the sport in Canelo in a very tight fight. He's human, he's not a cyborg and he's finally started to get legitimate challenges.

Seano likes this.
  11. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    Few are. As soon as you get someone to say, "[insert name of boxer]," someone will say "overhyped" or "overrated." Hell there are people that shit on Ray Robinson. It's a tough sport and we're unforgiving and ruthless as fans. Just the worst.

12. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    All true. I agree completely, but add this piece: these challengers are all crawling out of the woodwork suddenly because he has lost a step with age. The man was cruelly ducked for 5 years. He would still be beatable a few years back in his prime, make no mistake, but there's a reason nobody was there until the past year and a half.

13. Strange King Strange Music

Strange King
    I had GGG losing that fight

14. nastyleft Brown Belt

nastyleft
    I think it's more of a scenario that he wasn't much of a draw 4-5 yrs ago.

15. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    Yes. I agree.

And also, when he was a mandatory, he was outright avoided because he was demolishing people.

But I see where you are coming from.

16. eternaldarkness Purple Belt

eternaldarkness
    i still think the garden is the beating heart of boxing. no other venue comes even close to the garden for the number a big fights staged there.

moosaev likes this.
  17. moosaev Blue Belt

moosaev
    From a historical perspective, yes, not even close. The Fight of the Century was fought there for god sake. Everytime i watch a fight in the Garden i think of how awesome it is that i'm watching boxing in the same venue that Ali & Frazier fought. Stubhub or T-Mobile doesn't have shit on that!!

4daLuLZ likes this.
  18. Married...With Boxing White Belt

Married...With Boxing
    It depends who was doing the expecting and why. For me, I rated Jacobs' skills highly but figured his chin would give out. It had nothing to do with Golovkin performing badly or not having power or Jacobs being better than I thought. Only that he'd be more durable than I thought.

19. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Being really great at one thing will get you far in boxing but once you start facing other elite level guys, you have to be able to mix it up some.

Golovkin is a pretty one dimensional fighter IMO. I've seen him struggle to adjust to both of his best opponents and should have lost both fights IMO.

deathstalker and Sunfish like this.
  20. Username Bob Bring back NHB.

Username Bob
    Jacobs is a really good fighter, but only hardcores knew that. I was saying Jacobs might be the guy to beat him, and I wasn't too far off. Jacobs is legit

Sunfish likes this.