Golovkin's performance against Jacobs.

Jacobs was much better and had numerous advantages. Size, speed, the ability to switch stances, and power of his own. Golovkin's age is relevant on the technical side of things, not really the physical. He used to look more versatile but the GGG who became famous, while still technically sound, was more hittable and had less defensive tools. His biggest problem was merely shelling up and stepping back when flurried. Jacobs exploited this over and over.

A few things:
1. Jacobs is a top 3 MW.
2. He fights to the level of his opppsition.
3. Statistically, pressure fighters peak at 30 and fade progressively after that so GGG iwas and is on borrowed time. Too bad he was ducked for 5 years by champs....
4. When you're fighting top guys, fights will be close.

Jacobs should be fighting a relevant name like Lemieux, BJS, or someone else. Meanwhile, BJS is fighting Martin Murray and lemmy is licking his wounds. He is not gonna fight forever, and probably even less if he gets C level guys and then gets one or two B or A level guys. I'm worried they will let him fade and then use him once he gets a bit long in the tooth to build Charlo's name. :-(

I wouldn't argue against it. Once he realized he could survive Golovkin's power and mitigate it a bit, he stood his ground and started putting things together.

Once he realized his power wouldn't even shake Golovkin I recall him changing things. No disrespect to Danny. Both men showed up that night and I still enjoy rewatching that match.

Once he realized his power wouldn't even shake Golovkin I recall him changing things. No disrespect to Danny. Both men showed up that night and I still enjoy rewatching that match.

Sure, it goes both ways.

Ward having Jacobs switch stances for the fight probably saved him from getting knocked out and from having a chance to get a knockout himself. So it became a boxing match and GGG showed that his jab can make him the equal of anyone in the division. The single knockdown probably won that fight for him.

He could beat him, but I think there is next to no chance that he'd do it easily.

Canelo's movement has really impressed me lately. Danny beats him but it looks like Taylor/Winky

Why did Golovkin not perform as expected against Jacobs? Is it because Golovkin is 35, or because Jacobs was better than anyone he had fought up to that point?
Because fight fans confuse aggression and KO's with effectiveness. Fans tend to overrate the more exciting KO fighters.

GGG has that aggressive pressure style that looks good against all the C level fighters he was facing but once he faced better opposition like Canelo, Jacobs and even Kell Brook you can see he looked a lot less menacing.

In a way (and I could be wrong) I think people are starting to do this with Spence. Spence is exciting, aggressive and has many KO's so people are starting to say he will beat everyone at 147 but I'm not gonna confuse the fact that he beats the crap out of guys with how he will do against a smart slick boxer like Crawford.

Because fight fans confuse aggression and KO's with effectiveness. Fans tend to overrate the more exciting KO fighters.

GGG has that aggressive pressure style that looks good against all the C level fighters he was facing but once he faced better opposition like Canelo, Jacobs and even Kell Brook you can see he looked a lot less menacing.

In a way (and I could be wrong) I think people are starting to do this with Spence. Spence is exciting, aggressive and has many KO's so people are starting to say he will beat everyone at 147 but I'm not gonna confuse the fact that he beats the crap out of guys with how he will do against a smart slick boxer like Crawford.

In some ways both men are in the same arc, just in different spots. Both have the nature of the come forward puncher. Both use the jab. Both have wickrd body work. Both fight witth grinding, exhausting styles. Both are criticized for an apparent lack of boxing, and a reliance on bullying. Spence is starting to be avoided, but he is still young. GGG is much older and not being avoided anymore.

A few salient differences emerge. Firstly, GGG is better at cutting off the ring and has a better jab, but I would say Spence shows a little more discipline in sticking to the gameplan. Spence is an American and started breaking out at a younger age, whereas Golovkin is obviously not and only started getting attention in thr past couple of years.

Golovkin has never been as good as advertised.

Golovkin did what Golovkin does. He finally fought a next tiered world class opponent with attributes and skills that matched up well against him in Jacobs. No voodoo about it. Golovkin is a high level world class puncher but hasnt improved in years. He's so high level that he drew with probably a Top 3 skilled guy in the sport in Canelo in a very tight fight. He's human, he's not a cyborg and he's finally started to get legitimate challenges.

Golovkin has never been as good as advertised.

Few are. As soon as you get someone to say, "[insert name of boxer]," someone will say "overhyped" or "overrated." Hell there are people that shit on Ray Robinson. It's a tough sport and we're unforgiving and ruthless as fans. Just the worst.

Golovkin did what Golovkin does. He finally fought a next tiered world class opponent with attributes and skills that matched up well against him in Jacobs. No voodoo about it. Golovkin is a high level world class puncher but hasnt improved in years. He's so high level that he drew with probably a Top 3 skilled guy in the sport in Canelo in a very tight fight. He's human, he's not a cyborg and he's finally started to get legitimate challenges.

All true. I agree completely, but add this piece: these challengers are all crawling out of the woodwork suddenly because he has lost a step with age. The man was cruelly ducked for 5 years. He would still be beatable a few years back in his prime, make no mistake, but there's a reason nobody was there until the past year and a half.

All true. I agree completely, but add this piece: these challengers are all crawling out of the woodwork suddenly because he has lost a step with age. The man was cruelly ducked for 5 years. He would still be beatable a few years back in his prime, make no mistake, but there's a reason nobody was there until the past year and a half.
I think it's more of a scenario that he wasn't much of a draw 4-5 yrs ago.

I think it's more of a scenario that he wasn't much of a draw 4-5 yrs ago.

Yes. I agree.

And also, when he was a mandatory, he was outright avoided because he was demolishing people.

But I see where you are coming from.

Danny Jacobs was an amateur legend in new york but people wrote him off because of his KO loss to Pirog. What many don't realize is that he was already probably weakened from Cancer when he fought Pirog.

People that know boxing (particularly the new york scene) knew GGG wouldn't have an easy fight.
i still think the garden is the beating heart of boxing. no other venue comes even close to the garden for the number a big fights staged there.

i still think the garden is the beating heart of boxing. no other venue comes even close to the garden for the number a big fights staged there.

From a historical perspective, yes, not even close. The Fight of the Century was fought there for god sake. Everytime i watch a fight in the Garden i think of how awesome it is that i'm watching boxing in the same venue that Ali & Frazier fought. Stubhub or T-Mobile doesn't have shit on that!!

It depends who was doing the expecting and why. For me, I rated Jacobs' skills highly but figured his chin would give out. It had nothing to do with Golovkin performing badly or not having power or Jacobs being better than I thought. Only that he'd be more durable than I thought.

Being really great at one thing will get you far in boxing but once you start facing other elite level guys, you have to be able to mix it up some.

Golovkin is a pretty one dimensional fighter IMO. I've seen him struggle to adjust to both of his best opponents and should have lost both fights IMO.

Jacobs is a really good fighter, but only hardcores knew that. I was saying Jacobs might be the guy to beat him, and I wasn't too far off. Jacobs is legit

Back