Golovkin's Coach: Jacobs Rematch is 3 or 4 Fights Down The Line

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
Not sure how to view this

By Edward Chaykovsky

According to Abel Sanchez, trainer of IBF, WBC, WBA, IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), a rematch with Daniel Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) is not going to happen any time soon.

Last month at New York's Madison Square Garden, Golovkin won a close twelve round unanimous decision over Jacobs. The scores were 114-113, 115-112, 115-112.

It was the first time that Golovkin went the twelve round distance, and the fight also snapped GGG's 23 fight knockout streak.

golovkin-jacobs%20(5)_2.jpg

Jacobs and his team are demanding a rematch. They believe the victory should have been theirs.

For Sanchez, Golovkin's next couple of fights are already in the works and Jacobs is not one of them.

- See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin...fights-down-line--115607#sthash.jX3iUsMA.dpuf

That's disappointing I would have loved to see a rematch after the canelo fight. That fight is miles and miles better than the Saunders fight

Saving him as one last payday, in other words. Name 4 opponents Golovkin can fight that anyone gives a shit about before he should fight Jacobs.

I wouldnt call it a duck per say....
But they clearly are avoiding the rematch.
I get if he wanted to try for bigger money fights @ 160 or 168. But other than Canelo there is nobody else that is more popular or deserving than Jacobs right now.
Even if you add in BJS. Everyone knows hes a paper champ and Jacobs > BJS. Plus hes not a bigger draw overall.

They probably want to stall him out until Jacobs has to move up.

Im really hoping Jacobs somehow lands the Canelo fight now.
@Marc A really going to like this. He has a point about GGG team using tactics like Canelo. It isnt always the Mexican style tough talk we want to believe.

Saving him as one last payday, in other words. Name 4 opponents Golovkin can fight that anyone gives a shit about before he should fight Jacobs.

Canelo is the only one that comes to mind , maybe Jr if he pulls off the upset and that's about it. I really think the Jacobs fight should be next after canelo ( no way they would give immediate rematch )

Canelo, JCC Jr if he wins, Charlo, Saunders, Andy Lee, Eubank

GGG has some fights he can do.

Canelo, JCC Jr if he wins, Charlo, Saunders, Andy Lee, Eubank

GGG has some fights he can do.
Not one of them besides Canelo is better or more intriguing. He doesnt want to fight Danny again because he will lose (again imo).

Not one of them besides Canelo is better or more intriguing. He doesnt want to fight Danny again because he will lose (again imo).

I agree that none of them are better fights than Jacobs, but they are still fights that would do well on regular HBO. JCCjr/Canelo winner on PPV of course.

lame. I mean, if canelo's there, than obviously take that, but otherwise, Danny has to be the next fight

my guess though is that GGG dicks around till the Canelo fight, then moves to 168. Jacobs will be there so that's probably in the cards for there.

He actually has other fights to get on with that people have been wanting to see for while: namely beating BJS, since nobody likes him and fighting Alvarez since that would be a huge bout. It's not like he'll be fighting nobodies.

Golovin won and Jacobs was gonna move up to SMW anyway so I don't see what the big deal is. What's he ducking? If GGG didn't fight him at all, I could see the case for cowardice to make here. But he didn't run away, outside or inside the ring. The opposite is actually true. He fought, going at a bigger guy for twelve rounds, knocked him down, and won the fight. There was no robbery. Close fights happen and to be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Jacobs didn't win and he had bigger plans at a bigger weight anyway, so take the result, learn from it, and move on so it doesn' happen again. Maybe learn to sit down on his punches more - amongst the quick movements - so they have a more visible effect on GGG. Who knows? This isn't the case of Ward and Kovalev, where neither man really has any other big fights in their future outside of their rematch. Both these men, Jacobs and Golovkin have other designs. I don't know about 4 fights right away, but Golovin has two names right away, and who knows what other fighters (Charlo got elevated awful fast in the MW rankings despite not havig fought at MW, iirc, so that could be fun to see) or rematches (with Canelo?) emerge down the line. I see why Abel said 4.

We should be looking toward a very interesting September fight with Alvarez. Danny should be figuring out who to fight at SMW if he couldn't even weigh in for one of the belts on the next morning. Who knows, maybe SMW is his destiny, not dwelling on a close loss in a division he struggles to fit into these days?

See, I think that the version of Jacobs that showed up on March 18th is about as good as Danny can get. Golovkin will know what to do in the rematch. He had - from the sound of things - a perfect camp, brought in the right sparring partners, had Hunter come along. Got a pep talk from Ward. The stars seemed to be in alignment in that camp for Danny. No injuries, everything went well. I suppose a perfect camp can happen twice if it happened once. I dunno, though. Golovkin didn't look like he was afraid, ever. He has other paydays and at 35 it might be hard to be as motivated for a guy you already beat, as it would be for a guy like Alvarez. That might be there too.

Bunch of bullshit. If Danny had gotten the (rightful) nod and was now saying no to an immediate rematch youd all be furious.

Golovkin is the champion and Jacobs was the challenger. Jacobs did really well but GGG shouldn't have to drop all his plans just because a challenger did well. They will probably fight in the future and it will probably be a bigger fight if they can get some other wins in the meantime.

This does make sense considering the size difference. I assume it'll be contested at 168. I thought Danny won so I understand the resentment. If the judges had sided with him he'd have better options.

I think the only option besides Canelo should be an immediate rematch. I thought it was a good, close fight.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again at 168 though, which appears to be where Jacobs is heading. That weight actually favors Jacobs though, so I'm not sure how keen ggg will be on that idea.

Golovkin is the champion and Jacobs was the challenger. Jacobs did really well but GGG shouldn't have to drop all his plans just because a challenger did well. They will probably fight in the future and it will probably be a bigger fight if they can get some other wins in the meantime.
I agree with most of that. But there are no legit plans past Canelo or taking the belt from BJS. Anything past that hes avoiding Danny. Legit worried about the risk.

This should technically be a feather in Dannys cap but im sure he rather have the big fights and paydays.

Back