Golovkin vs. Saunders possible for December - Promoter Frank Warren

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Billy Joe Saunders' promoter Frank Warren remains hopeful of luring Gennady Golovkin to the UK in 'early December'.

Despite calls for Golovkin to meet Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez immediately again following Saturday's points draw, Warren believes Golovkin could face the English boxer next before a potential return with Alvarez.

Mexican icon Canelo (49-1-2, 34 KOs) plans to box again in May next year but Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) has been offered the chance to face Saunders (25-0, 12 KOs) next for the only world middleweight title he does not hold.

Saunders, 28, unanimously out-pointed American Willie Monroe Jr in a second defence of his WBO belt in London a few hours before Golovkin-Alvarez took place in Las Vegas on Saturday.

"I've not had any talks with [Golovkin's promoter] Tom Loeffler yet, but my son George was over there [in America] and he's had conversations," Warren told ESPN. "I'm not sure of the fight with Golovkin in December at the moment, it was a hard fight for Golovkin and Canelo.

"I'll wait for Golovkin and his team to let us know his intentions. I want them to fight next and within the next seven to ten days we will decide what direction Bill will go in, but what ever it is he won't be waiting around.

"We would do it early December and we're looking at a couple of venues. It will be in the UK unless Golovkin insists on it being somewhere else.

"They [Canelo and GGG] may wait until May to do the rematch but there's a lot of negotiations going on with that."

One potential hurdle to bringing Golovkin back to the UK after he stopped Kell Brook in London a year ago are available venues.

ESPN understands that the heavyweight rematch between Tony Bellew and David could end up on a Sunday -- December 17 -- at the O2 Arena because the Saturday night slots in December at the London venue were booked.

"The biggest available venue would be something like the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, if it's available," Warren added.

If Golovkin passes on travelling to the UK, Saunders would be willing to travel to the US for a unification fight against the Kazakh, who is based in California with a growing American fanbase.

The Copper Box Arena in east London, which has a capacity for 7,000, is also an option to host Saunders' next fight if it is not against Golovkin or Amir Khan, the British boxer who Saunders expressed an interest in facing in his post-fight press conference at the weekend.

"What ever happens, Bill will fight again in December because he needs to be active," Warren told ESPN. "We will need a good opponent for him and Amir Khan fits the bill."

we'll all enjoy golovkin beating the shit out of saunders, so i'm ok with it.

the only thing bothering me is that cunt probably getting a career high paycheck for it.

but if golovkin becomes old overnight and loses to BJS, i'm never watching boxing again, ever.

I cannot think of much that would provide me with more Pure Joy than for this fight to get set up, have Billy Joe do his ridiculous trash talking to GGG and then have GGG relentlessly destroy BJS', mind, body and soul, in the ring. ;)

Makes sense. If he were to rematch Canelo, it would be May 5th weekend. He said he wanted to fight around December as a fight in between. Really hope it happens, as I would NOT want to see a Cotto/GGG fight.

I'd like to see GGG get the last belt he needs before he retires.

I hate straight rematches so let him take this fight and adjust his game (hopefully) to make the rounds he won even more dominant.

I hate straight rematches so let him take this fight and adjust his game (hopefully) to make the rounds he won even more dominant.
I'm not sure bjs is a good way to hone your skills to fight canelo.

The real question is whether Oscar would allow this fight between now and the Canelo rematch (likely in May)? He gave Golovkin an ultimatum last time when the Saunders fight was on the table for him. I don't think he'd allow it considering Golovkin could get injured in that fight, or even worse, lose. With that said, I'd like to see him take the fight, batter BJS and become undisputed. This would make the Canelo rematch even bigger because the stakes would be higher. It could be billed as The Ring's Lineal Champion (Canelo) vs the Undisputed Champion (Golovkin, when he beats Saunders). The risk versus reward would have to be weighed by both sides here. If I'm GGG I'd have Saunders come to the US and fight him in Vegas or California.

dont mind seeing ggg wreck him or cotto tbh

I'm not sure bjs is a good way to hone your skills to fight canelo.
He seemed to do just fine (everybody but the judges) last week. So it isn't like he would have to change a whole lot. Maybe just his shot selection and set ups. Feints would take GGG a long way. Maybe his ring cutting as well, Canelo often circled his back to the ropes, but did a good job of getting back to the center.

As always, his defense could use sharpened, but he isn't very young anymore, so his reflexes wont carry him, he has to stop being lazy with his guard.

He seemed to do just fine (everybody but the judges) last week. So it isn't like he would have to change a whole lot. Maybe just his shot selection and set ups. Feints would take GGG a long way. Maybe his ring cutting as well, Canelo often circled his back to the ropes, but did a good job of getting back to the center.

As always, his defense could use sharpened, but he isn't very young anymore, so his reflexes wont carry him, he has to stop being lazy with his guard.
Pretty much. He showed a lot better form against Jacobs and canelo, but being realistic some of the guys in there had lost before they touched gloves. Saunders would lose by ko but he might give ggg some rounds.

This entire forum would be rooting for the same fighter. Amazing.

Is Saunders going to get a baseball bat?

A decent amount of pressure on GGG as he'd have to win looking fierce and dominant.

If he seems to have lost a step against Saunders then the Canelo rematch will be a world of trouble. Golovkin has to make a statement.

Hence BJS would get wrecked. Woot.

It's really not.

His entire life goal was to unify the middleweight division and everything he's done has been about doing that one thing. He knocked a couple dozen guys out to get belts. Forced Canelo to give up his belt without a fight because he was afraid to fight him. Crushed every mandatory opponent he faced. Took on Danny Jacobs to turn the silver belt and the championship belt into one actual belt and weighed in the morning of that fight(which Jacobs didn't do)so it would count as a defense of the IBF belt. Then he fought Canelo who didn't have an official belt but was still the lineal middleweight champ so he could take that shit too.

All that is left is the belt Saunders protects like a douche bag little kid who stays in the safe zone when you're playing tag because he doesn't have the balls to run around and play fair like everyone else. He's shit but his belt is legit and it's the last piece of the puzzle for true middleweight unification.

I hope GGG crushes BJS and his nut punching kid then retires if Canelo keeps trying to make old age do the job he couldn't do himself in the ring.

GGG is a great fighter but he's very obviously getting old and has already lost a step. He looked spent in his corner a few rounds in and was breathing through his mouth for much of the fight. His footwork looked half-assed too and his right hand was for shit. Two years ago GGG would have fucking destroyed Canelo for sitting on the ropes with body shots and uppercuts and right hands behind feints. Luckily Canelo spent half the fight not fighting and most of the fight going backwards so GGG still looked like the guy trying to make a fight happen. A year from now GGG will probably look much worse which is exactly why Golden Boy and CinnamonCoastPunch don't want a quick rematch. Fuck them. GGG needs to unify and ride off into the sunset with most of the world knowing he already beat Canelo who ducked him for ages.

Can't wait to see Saunders' kid to pop GGG in the nuts.

Which will probably be all the damage Gennady receives that weekend.

we'll all enjoy golovkin beating the shit out of saunders, so i'm ok with it.

the only thing bothering me is that cunt probably getting a career high paycheck for it.

but if golovkin becomes old overnight and loses to BJS, i'm never watching boxing again, ever.

My feelings ,if he were to loose which I highly doubt I would stop watching for a while lol

Back