Golovkin vs Jacobs - Technical Analysis

Cotto is a blown up WW. Let's be real.

I get that Mayweather fans like Canelo because it looks better for Mayweather if Canelo is really good, but the facts are the facts. Canelo has never fought a legit guy his natural size before.
All good man. Not sure your point really means anything, he'll eventually fight GGG when he feels his game is complete.
Here's the deal, Canelo is head and shoulders more skilled overall than GGG. As much to the point GGG is going to have more of a problem dealing with Canelo's counters than he is even getting to him. Canelo has a solid defensive game, much more than GGG. And he can punch. The story of that fight will be what GGG does to adjust when his standard shit becomes ineffective while he's getting tagged. Is he gonna just keep chopping away hoping the ginger eventually wilts? Im not a fanboy of either, Im just calling what I see. Canelo is getting better and better expanding his game everytime out. He's one of the more underrated skilled guys in the game and shows something new with each fight. We havent seen that from GGG, and what he does do isnt some kind of unstoppable force, he just hasnt really been tested either. If a guy steps in the ring unafraid and more skilled than he is, GGG is gonna be relegated to just going for a ko. That's why Jacobs is such a live dog in their upcoming fight.

I think both will be smart enough snd have skills enough to keep the other from putting their opponent away too quickly. Of course, anything can happennwith their punching power and good combos, but I think the mutual respect for each other's power will make for a smart, competitive fight.
Ok, I can understand that, but I feel as though the best form of defense in a fight like this will be to go on the attack. Also, I don't think either have so far shown an ability to avoid punches, instead relying on their punching power to keep opponents at bay. It will be interesting to see how this fight plays out.

Will read this breakdown later tonight or tomorrow.

Golovkin looks to be in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Looks like he's doing a Bruce Lee impression here with flexing his lats.

Last edited:
Golovkin looks to be in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Looks like he's doing a Bruce Lee impression here with flexing his lats.

Wow even Abel in jeans is able to throw GGG off and get some clean shots

The way he weathered that Kirkland storm early was impressive too. He started to minimize damage really quick when he saw Kirkland was bringing it. Canelo is way underappreciated.

in a noticia in mexico canelo said that he watned do get rounds in with kirkland but after he took a few punches he said that he had to get him out of there as soon as possible becasue james hit too hard.

james kirkland is not a huge 154 puncher. he gets guys out of there by accumulation. if canelo is having some issues with james hes going to have a lot of issues with lemiuex, stevens, jacobs and golovkin...all who would walk down kirkland

All good man. Not sure your point really means anything, he'll eventually fight GGG when he feels his game is complete.
Here's the deal, Canelo is head and shoulders more skilled overall than GGG. As much to the point GGG is going to have more of a problem dealing with Canelo's counters than he is even getting to him. Canelo has a solid defensive game, much more than GGG. And he can punch. The story of that fight will be what GGG does to adjust when his standard shit becomes ineffective while he's getting tagged. Is he gonna just keep chopping away hoping the ginger eventually wilts? Im not a fanboy of either, Im just calling what I see. Canelo is getting better and better expanding his game everytime out. He's one of the more underrated skilled guys in the game and shows something new with each fight. We havent seen that from GGG, and what he does do isnt some kind of unstoppable force, he just hasnt really been tested either. If a guy steps in the ring unafraid and more skilled than he is, GGG is gonna be relegated to just going for a ko. That's why Jacobs is such a live dog in their upcoming fight.

Make no mistake: Golovkin won't have a hard time finding Alvarez. Between GGG's ring-cutting ability and Alvarez's average footwork (and own admission that he likes it when they come to him), this fight has the potential to get nasty for both. Just because someone has better boxing skills, doesn't mean they have the skills in the right spots. We'll see what happens when/if they fight because it will get real interesting...

in a noticia in mexico canelo said that he watned do get rounds in with kirkland but after he took a few punches he said that he had to get him out of there as soon as possible becasue james hit too hard.

james kirkland is not a huge 154 puncher. he gets guys out of there by accumulation. if canelo is having some issues with james hes going to have a lot of issues with lemiuex, stevens, jacobs and golovkin...all who would walk down kirkland
Kirland is a big puncher at the 154 level dont let anyone convince you otherwise. The point I get out of that is, Canelo didn't get scared or timid, he decided he needed to get that guy out of there. Made the adjustmemt, made him conscious of the bodywork, and put his lights out. This is what makes the kid so dangerous. He's fucking good at setting guys up.

Make no mistake: Golovkin won't have a hard time finding Alvarez. Between GGG's ring-cutting ability and Alvarez's average footwork (and own admission that he likes it when they come to him), this fight has the potential to get nasty for both. Just because someone has better boxing skills, doesn't mean they have the skills in the right spots. We'll see what happens when/if they fight because it will get real interesting...
It will be a great fight.

Kirland is a big puncher at the 154 level dont let anyone convince you otherwise. The point I get out of that is, Canelo didn't get scared or timid, he decided he needed to get that guy out of there. Made the adjustmemt, made him conscious of the bodywork, and put his lights out. This is what makes the kid so dangerous. He's fucking good at setting guys up.

agreed, canelo has great fight iq

but do you think that stevens, lemuiex or golovkin wouldve had issues with kirklands power? alvarez specifically said that he wanted to get rounds in, put on a show perse, and then after eating some kirkland punches he had no choice but to go for the ko

stevens, who unequivocally punches much, much, much harder than kirkland, took an intentional beating from golovkin because gennady wanted to teach him a lesson.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/10/golovkin-has-a-sadistic-side-to-him/

there is no way, whatsoever, that canelo is going to play around and "punish" curtis stevens if he couldnt do it with james kirkland

agreed, canelo has great fight iq

but do you think that stevens, lemuiex or golovkin wouldve had issues with kirklands power? alvarez specifically said that he wanted to get rounds in, put on a show perse, and then after eating some kirkland punches he had no choice but to go for the ko

stevens, who unequivocally punches much, much, much harder than kirkland, took an intentional beating from golovkin because gennady wanted to teach him a lesson.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/10/golovkin-has-a-sadistic-side-to-him/

there is no way, whatsoever, that canelo is going to play around and "punish" curtis stevens if he couldnt do it with james kirkland
Good question. All I know is Canelo presents more of an issue to GGG than the reverse. I really believe Canelo wins the war of attrition.

He's not head and shoulders more skilled than GGG. He's got better/ more exaggerated head and waist movement and faster hands. That's all. Every other attribute is in favor of GGG.

I think Kirkland can be a bit deceptive. I would say that he is frenetic and not terribly accurate. As such, his shots are not picked well and thus don't inflict much damage. However when he does manage to land cleanly, there is more dump on his punches than expected.

ITT people are already predicting Golovkin vs Canelo. No one gives Jacobs even a punchers chance?

ITT people are already predicting Golovkin vs Canelo. No one gives Jacobs even a punchers chance?

Oh I think that's dangerous talk on their part. Even if I think Golovkin should win this, Danny I would say has even a bit more than a puncher's chance. I expect GGG to win, but would really not be surprised if Jacobs is able to pull it off.

Back