Golovkin, Canelo, and The Lineal Middleweight Title

Seriously though....why in the foooooooooooooK won't GGG fight Cinnamon ? just why? forget the money bruv. Imo and many others, it's starting to look like GGG is ducking, weaving, back and front flipping as hard as he can to not fight Canelo. Why the hell won't he fight Cinnamon ?
In the post fight he didnt even say the word Canelo. He brings up Joe Saunders??????????? just ugh

It's money and if I were to guess knowing how big the egos are from both promoters its really just , a fight between promoters and Oscar can be very petty

I think the Lineal Title should be considered vacant. If the last Lineal MW Champ vacates and moves to Light HWT or Cruiser Weight (after a hiatus), it isn't expected to chase him all the way there. Same if he drops to JMW or WW. Or hides behind Mommy.

A new line should start. And who'd be the new Lineal Champ ? Only the one who can say Undisputed. That means ALL the belts. This means the last Lineal Champ accepts the new Champ's authority and also does not dispute it....because he has no belt.

This means, GGG can be the NEW Lineal Champ but ONLY if he beats Saunders.

imo

Seriously though....why in the foooooooooooooK won't GGG fight Cinnamon ? just why? forget the money bruv. Imo and many others, it's starting to look like GGG is ducking, weaving, back and front flipping as hard as he can to not fight Canelo. Why the hell won't he fight Cinnamon ?
I just don't see it that way. Would you take a 5% or 10% cut while having most of the belts and being the established champ at that weight? Those low PPV numbers again cut the legs out from under him negotiating so we'll see what happens. DLH and Canelo though are coming off as greedy fucks in my view.

I think the Lineal Title should be considered vacant. If the last Lineal MW Champ vacates and moves to Light HWT or Cruiser Weight (after a hiatus), it isn't expected to chase him all the way there. Same if he drops to JMW or WW. Or hides behind Mommy.

A new line should start. And who'd be the new Lineal Champ ? Only the one who can say Undisputed. That means ALL the belts. This means the last Lineal Champ accepts the new Champ's authority and also does not dispute it....because he has no belt.

This means, GGG can be the NEW Lineal Champ but ONLY if he beats Saunders.

imo
Yeah but even then Canelo is more popular. GGG should probably get around 30% even with all the belts.

One of the founders of the TBRB, Springs Toledo, who hands out the most complete version of the lineal title distinction nowadays (backed by Cyber Boxing Zone/CBZ) had this to say about Canelo. Canelo was close to having his lineal distinction with them removed by a board vote.

vq4adj.png

Last edited:
One of the founders of the TBRB, Springs Toledo, who hands out the most complete version of the lineal title distinction nowadays (backed by Cyber Zone Boxing/CBZ) had this to say about Canelo. Canelo was close to having his lineal distinction with them removed by a board vote.

vq4adj.png
I care a lot about that.

I bought one of Springs Toledo's books. It was a collection of essays. It was alright.

I bought one of Springs Toledo's books. It was a collection of essays. It was alright.

He doesn't like Kellerman it seems. I left that last paragraph out of the screen. Here's the rest of the post in response to someone that asked about Canelo being champion.

Toledo said

You may have heard Max Kellerman repeating over and over on-air last Saturday night that Golovkin is the “middleweight champion of the world.” Max Kellerman has a habit of confusing the premiere (or best) fighter in the division with the true divisional champion. These are different concepts and someone ought to bend his ear and help him understand this. He has been called a boxing historian, and as such he ought to know that guys like Greb and Moore and Joe Louis and Liston and Hagler were considered the best fighters in their respective divisions but did NOT become champions based on merely that –they had catch and defeat the sitting champion in order to take his throne. Anything less contributes to the chaos. Mauricio, er –Max– Kellerman should know better.

He doesn't like Kellerman it seems. I left that last paragraph out of the screen. Here's the rest of the post in response to someone that asked about Canelo being champion.

Toledo said

In fairness to Kellerman, it's not like he doesn't realize that. It's more a matter of marketing and explaining the reality of the situation to a more casual audience that isn't going to get the whole champion/titlist distinction. Look at the complete chaos when people in the heavies are introduced to the concept. Maybe he should actually take the time and lay it out properly (maybe call Golovkin the uncrowned MW champion or something along those lines), but a significant part of it all is marketing to the customer (and maybe the WBC is lining his pockets, I don't know).

In fairness to Kellerman, it's not like he doesn't realize that. It's more a matter of marketing and explaining the reality of the situation to a more casual audience that isn't going to get the whole champion/titlist distinction. Look at the complete chaos when people in the heavies are introduced to the concept. Maybe he should actually take the time and lay it out properly (maybe call Golovkin the uncrowned MW champion or something along those lines), but a significant part of it all is marketing to the customer (and maybe the WBC is lining his pockets, I don't know).

Yeah, he must not listen to Max much because Kellerman has called Golovkin the consensus "champion" before but Canelo the recognized (lineal) champion. He did the same with Kovalev and Adonis. It's definitely a matter of marketing though. Kellerman imo does a pretty decent job, he has his off days like everyone. Springs is looking at it from a different perspective.

*Update 4/18/17

The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board (TBRB) no longer recognizes Canelo as the lineal Middleweight champion effective today.

Latest Updates
18 April 2017: *** Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is now the former middleweight king. Last Tuesday, he was asked point-blank about his middleweight title status during a conference call and he answered as follows:

“I am not a middleweight champion. I was at one point, but I am no longer the middleweight champ.”

Canelo has thus and therefore formally abdicated, as per the charter, the middleweight throne. Given that he has not been inactive in the division for more than eighteen months, the board had to decide where he should be ranked at Middleweight, if at all. Most members held that he should be ranked at #3 at this time, though there was dissent in both directions. Ryota Murata is bumped out.
http://www.tbrb.org/

Here's a look at their Successions tab

MIDDLEWEIGHT
Throne declared open 18 April 2017 after Saul Alvarez, in answer to a question posed by member Jake Donovan about his middleweight title status on 11 April, stated: “I am not a middleweight champion. I was at one point, but I am no longer the middleweight champ.” Alvarez has thus formerly abdicated, as per the charter, the middleweight throne.

Messaging-crown-icon.png
Saul Alvarez
W12 Miguel Cotto (21 November 2015)

• Miguel Cotto RTD10 Sergio Martinez (7 June 2104)
  • Sergio Martinez W12 Kelly Pavlik (17 April 2010)
  • Kelly Pavlik TKO7 Jermain Taylor (29 September 2007)
  • Jermain Taylor W12 Bernard Hopkins (16 July 2005)
  • Bernard Hopkins TKO12 Felix Trinidad (29 September 2001—Hopkins and Trinidad were the top two RING-rated middleweights at the time of this bout.)
http://www.tbrb.org/successions/

Last edited:
One of the founders of the TBRB, Springs Toledo, who hands out the most complete version of the lineal title distinction nowadays (backed by Cyber Boxing Zone/CBZ) had this to say about Canelo. Canelo was close to having his lineal distinction with them removed by a board vote.

vq4adj.png
<Fedor23>

Back