Golovkin, Canelo, and The Lineal Middleweight Title

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Shoemaker, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    I didn't want to make another thread, but I posted this in the 24/7 thread and I think it's going to get buried underneath all the day-after fallout and I want to talk about something a little different.

Canelo won the lineal championship when he beat Cotto back in 2015. But since then, he's moved back down to 154, winning a title off of Liam Smith, and he has now signed to fight Chavez Jr. at Super Middleweight. Considering Canelo isn't currently campaigning at middleweight and hasn't in some time, the topic seems like it's open for debate.

With Golovkin winning the battle of #1 and #2 in the division, has a new lineage begun (began? I think it's begun)? I think so.

2. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    Should've put "Golovkin Robs Canelo Of The Lineal Middleweight Championship" as the thread title.

3. Marc A 2017 is my year

Marc A
    It's time for that discussion. GGG starts a new one . But what happens when Canelo comes back ? Will it be former lineal?

4. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    Yeah it's kind of weird in that regard, but yeah I'd say he's the former lineal champion. I'm a Canelo fan, but things need to move on when guys aren't campaigning in the division. I felt the same way when Floyd was holding onto the SWW belts, even though he was taking his Maidana fights at 147.

StickAndMove and tehmvp like this.
  5. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    Lol!

I don't think I saw, who did you have winning the fight last night, Golovkin or Jacobs?

6. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    There's really just this and the Saunders fight for Golovkin. If he manages to pull those off that would truly be something. Tough though. I just have nothing good to say about Saunders, but he - I'm straining to admit something favourable about him here - is a - sigh - decent boxer and could make things interesting for Golovkin. The Canelo fight gets interesting after last night, perhaps even more interesting after Canelo vs Chavez jr.

7. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    After the 7th round I wasn't scoring as closely as I was earlier, I was sure it was going to end in the last part of the fight. But at the end I thought they split the rounds and that Golovkin got it because of the early KD.

Gigaton Punch and wilddeuces like this.
  8. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
  9. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    315MMAFighter likes this.
  10. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
  11. WklySportsMemes Green Belt

WklySportsMemes
    What about Interim for the lineal title. Lmao why not every other belt has one.

But on a serious note. Yeah I would say its time to start a new one. Still no telling when Canelo will fight a legit middle weight fight.

12. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Technically Canelo is still officially the lineal Middleweight champion. He's recognized by The Ring for it (I know, I know), still has their belt, and the neutral organization of the two, the TBRB, still recognizes him until he either loses at MW or declares he's moving to another division.

I agree with you though that GGG started a new lineage last night. Whether you scored it for him or not (I didn't, I had Jacobs just edging him out but am about to rewatch the fight), it was between the consensus #1 & #2 ranked Middleweights so a new lineage having been created can certainly be debated.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Marc A and StickAndMove like this.
  13. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    That's the thing. He DID declare it when he fought Smith.

315MMAFighter and StickAndMove like this.
  14. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    You should tell the TBRB that then so they know because according to them he's yet to do so. His actions speak louder than words though and his last fight was at JMW and his next scheduled fight also isn't at Middleweight.

15. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    Their rankings don't reflect what happened last night yet, so we'll see. But ultimately, I'm not asking you or anyone else what any org may or may not do. I'm asking what you think.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  16. nac386 Silver Belt

nac386
    In my opinion, a new lineage should start since Jacobs and GGG were the clear #1 and #2 in the division and Canelo hasn't been fighting at middleweight. Being the lineal champion of a division and not defending that title makes no sense to me. I doubt that's how it works though. Adonis Stevenson is still the lineal champion at 175, even though he has not done much at all lately and Ward and Kovalev were probably considered the better fighters.

CatchnShoot likes this.
  17. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    Stevenson isn't fighting world beaters at 175, but at least he's still there. Or at least he's fought there in the last year, anyway.

18. nac386 Silver Belt

nac386
    Yeah, I just feel like the lineal champion should have to fight the top contender at least on a yearly basis to hold that title.

ctrlaltdelete and Shoemaker like this.
  19. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    That's reasonable. At the very least you'd hope the WBC would put more pressure on him to fight someone relevant at this point. If only so they could get a higher fee.

20. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Yeah, it'll be updated soon on their homepage. They do things differently than The Ring of course, their lineal policy is much different (since The Ring changed theirs in 2012). The Ring is a joke anyway, there's conflict of interest there with GBP fighters like Canelo and they still have Fury as lineal champ which I disagree with.

As far as what I believe, the winner of Golovkin-Jacobs would become the true lineal Middleweight champion. So, count me as one that now believes GGG is the real lineal MW champ.

Shoemaker likes this.