Golden era to new era question

jtwarwagon4life

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Reading one of Coca's post on the forum preservation thread got me looking at the Muaythai2000 achieves from 2003, which is as early as they go. And whenever I do, I've always tried to spot names from the Golden Era.

So the question is: how many guys outlived the Golden Era to fight in the next decade? Depends a bit on when exactly you think the Golden Era ended, buy which guys where fighting at a good level from, say, anywhere before or around 1993 (Approximately the Golden Era) and were still fighting at a good level as late as, say, 2003 or later?

I've only been able to think of a few names, but I'm sure there are more:

Muangfahlek Kiatvichean

Thongchai Tor Silachai

Lakhin Wassandasit (by the time 2003 rolled around he was fighting under the name Lakhin Sakjavee and Lakhin Sor Sahlaitong. Also, he arguably doesn't count, since I believe he retired from muay thai to box and then made a comeback.)

Samkor Chor. Ratchathasupap

Some who I am uncertain of:

Lamnamoon Sor Sumalee (had a surprisingly long career and was relevant until at least 2000; also found a Onesongchai card from 2003 with him fighting after the main event)

Nungubon Sitlertchai (I know he was still active in the stadiums as late as 2003 but am unsure of his level)

Singdam O Aukrit (not entirely sure what level he was at by this time. I found his name on the undercard of a few Onesongchai events from 2003.)

Thailand Pinsinchai (not sure if he came to prominence just as the Golden Era was coming to a close, per my definition, or sometime slightly after)

Kangwanlek Petchyindee (never heard of him having fought in the Golden era, but he was about the right age that he could have fought at the tail end of it. During the Golden Era he would have gone under at least one different name Sitganwan or maybe Sitkruaod as well. Also Kangwanlek arguably wouldn't count as I believe that he was banned for some period of time and then got to come back.)

Edit: Here is some tape of Kangwanlek dated 1995:

Last edited:
Singdam may have been decent until the early 2000's as I remember once seeing him ranked during that time.

I think you can add skarbowsky to that list along with danny bill

yes, i am a big jcs fan, i just guessed that off the top of my head as i remember him fighting on s1 shows. i remember he fought buakaw in 05 and retired abouta year after that at the age of 32. I just googled him, says he was active 92-06. that would put him in the time frame you posted (93-03). Danny bill was on the scene before and after jcs and was pretty much jcs right hand man. now that i think of it jwp can be added to the list as well.

yes, i am a big jcs fan, i just guessed that off the top of my head as i remember him fighting on s1 shows. i remember he fought buakaw in 05 and retired abouta year after that at the age of 32. I just googled him, says he was active 92-06. that would put him in the time frame you posted (93-03). Danny bill was on the scene before and after jcs and was pretty much jcs right hand man. now that i think of it jwp can be added to the list as well.
Those guys may have been "active" during the period of time I listed but that wasn't' the criteria. The criteria was whether they were good fighters from the Golden era ,at least as early as 93, and managed to retain their spots as "decent" fighters until 03 or later. None of those guys meet that criteria.

Just about every muay thai fighter outlives their expiration date, by a big margin. So, I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every early 90's Golden Era legend, who wasn't either dead or banned from muay thai, was still active in muay thai by 2003. That is no accomplishment at all, still being able to hang with some of the better fighters a decade later is.

Last edited:
Those guys may have been "active" during the period of time I listed but that wasn't' the criteria. The criteria was whether they were good fighters from the Golden era ,at least as early as 93, and managed to retain their spots as "decent" fighters until 03 or later. None of those guys meet that criteria.

Just about every muay thai fighter outlives their expiration date, by a big margin. So, I wouldn't be surprised if nearly every early 90's Golden Era legend, who wasn't either dead or banned from muay thai, was still active in muay thai by 2003. That is no accomplishment at all, still being able to hang with some of the better fighters a decade later is.

i see your point but i would disagree regarding his skill level and accomplishments. jcs was one of the best foreigners in his time, and he fought buakaw in 05 and did very well against him. i would say jcs fits that criteria, but that is my opinion. check his rankings below

Ranking
he ko'd lamsongkram in 06

What about Sangtiennoi? I think he won a lumpinee belt in 1997 not sure when he quit fighting

What about Sangtiennoi? I think he won a lumpinee belt in 1997 not sure when he quit fighting
He retired around 2000 or 2001 I think and he may mostly have been fighting foreigners for a bit at that point. I think one of his last fights was against Ito Takashi in AJKF, where he dislocated his shoulder, he had repeated problems with shoulder dislocation which caused him to retire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Ito

i see your point but i would disagree regarding his skill level and accomplishments. jcs was one of the best foreigners in his time, and he fought buakaw in 05 and did very well against him. i would say jcs fits that criteria, but that is my opinion. check his rankings below

Ranking
he ko'd lamsongkram in 06
Whatever one thinks of his accomplishments during the late 90's to early 2000's, and my opinion of them is not very high, is irrelevant. JWP was not fighting anyone of note in 1993 and was not a fighter of note.

Whatever one thinks of his accomplishments during the late 90's to early 2000's, and my opinion of them is not very high, is irrelevant. JWP was not fighting anyone of note in 1993 and was not a fighter of note.

he fought orono in 97. but its all good man not trying to argue with you abut it to each his own

he fought orono in 97. but its all good man not trying to argue with you abut it to each his own
And he got smoked, but it is beside the point because 97 is not 93. Parr wasn't a Golden Era fighter, so he is obviously disqualified from this list.

And he got smoked, but it is beside the point because 97 is not 93. Parr wasn't a Golden Era fighter, so he is obviously disqualified from this list.

yeah you got me on the year but IMO, fighting orono, wether he won or lost is a accomplishment. same for jcs to fight buakaw. if its something i cannot do myself, im not in a position to put the next man down that can. jcs went 5 rounds with buakaw, i would get ko 1st round.

yeah you got me on the year but IMO, fighting orono, wether he won or lost is a accomplishment. same for jcs to fight buakaw. if its something i cannot do myself, im not in a position to put the next man down that can. jcs went 5 rounds with buakaw, i would get ko 1st round.
yea but this isn't about their skill level, he's just looking for fighters that had longevity in the thai stadium circuit (specifically from the golden era to the "modern" one)

those fighters are good but obviously don't fit the bill

yea but this isn't about their skill level, he's just looking for fighters that had longevity in the thai stadium circuit (specifically from the golden era to the "modern" one)

those fighters are good but obviously don't fit the bill

b1f5cd5508816888c668cd6a80d3f51b_9575837-comment-meme-touche_600-400.jpeg

Maybe Nareunart Siangsimaewgym would also qualify? He definitely fought well past 2003 and you can find footage of him from as early as around 1995 or so.

Also Sakpaitoon Dejrat could arguably count. I've seen his name listed on a Kiatsingnoi card from 2003 and he was active at a high level in the stadiums at least as early as 94.

Reading one of Coca's post on the forum preservation thread got me looking at the Muaythai2000 achieves from 2003, which is as early as they go. And whenever I do, I've always tried to spot names from the Golden Era.

So the question is: how many guys outlived the Golden Era to fight in the next decade? Depends a bit on when exactly you think the Golden Era ended, buy which guys where fighting at a good level from, say, anywhere before or around 1993 (Approximately the Golden Era) and were still fighting at a good level as late as, say, 2003 or later?

I've only been able to think of a few names, but I'm sure there are more:

Muangfahlek Kiatvichean

Thongchai Tor Silachai

Lakhin Wassandasit (by the time 2003 rolled around he was fighting under the name Lakhin Sakjavee and Lakhin Sor Sahlaitong. Also, he arguably doesn't count, since I believe he retired from muay thai to box and then made a comeback.)

Samkor Chor. Ratchathasupap

Some who I am uncertain of:

Lamnamoon Sor Sumalee (had a surprisingly long career and was relevant until at least 2000; also found a Onesongchai card from 2003 with him fighting after the main event)

Nungubon Sitlertchai (I know he was still active in the stadiums as late as 2003 but am unsure of his level)

Singdam O Aukrit (not entirely sure what level he was at by this time. I found his name on the undercard of a few Onesongchai events from 2003.)

Thailand Pinsinchai (not sure if he came to prominence just as the Golden Era was coming to a close, per my definition, or sometime slightly after)

Kangwanlek Petchyindee (never heard of him having fought in the Golden era, but he was about the right age that he could have fought at the tail end of it. During the Golden Era he would have gone under at least one different name Sitganwan or maybe Sitkruaod as well. Also Kangwanlek arguably wouldn't count as I believe that he was banned for some period of time and then got to come back.)

Edit: Here is some tape of Kangwanlek dated 1995:

Also of these guys Thongchai Tor Silachai would have had by far the greatest longevity and probably best career of the lot. Supposedly he made his stadium debut in 1987 at Lumpinee and then had his final stadium fight in 2012. Unbelievable stuff. Has to be some of the greatest, if not the greatest, longevity in the history of stadium muay thai.

Which isn't even to get into the details of his career, which include beating Saenchai 2 of 3 and knocking him out.

Last edited:
Also of these guys Thongchai Tor Silachai would have had by far the greatest longevity and probably best career of the lot. Supposedly he made his stadium debut in 1987 at Lumpinee and then had his final stadium fight in 2012. Unbelievable stuff. Has to be some of the greatest, if not the greatest, longevity in the history of stadium muay thai.

Which isn't even to get into the details of his career, which include beating Saenchai 2 of 3 and knocking him out.

2012 is when he got arrested or was it before and he made a comeback?

Anyway he is probably the golden era fighter that I watched the most footage of and he always struck me as one of the very best I've ever seen. Perhaps the memory of seeing him KO Saenchai has a big effect on it too.

2012 is when he got arrested or was it before and he made a comeback?

Anyway he is probably the golden era fighter that I watched the most footage of and he always struck me as one of the very best I've ever seen. Perhaps the memory of seeing him KO Saenchai has a big effect on it too.
No before 2012, maybe 2008 or 2007. I'm not saying he fought continuously from 87-2012, by the way. I don't know. Together with the drug issue, he may have taken other breaks as well.

Also seen interviews with a number of top fighters, including Saenchai, who said he was the toughest fighter they fought.

Back