Gold Battle: Above The Law (1988) or Kickboxer (1989)

Choose

• Total voters
I'd rather rewatch Kickboxer, but I think they're both merely adequate action movies. Actually, I tend to get Steven Seagal movies confused. Above the Law is the one with Pam Grier? I don't know if it was even adequate. Pretty easy win for Kickboxer.

atl for me. seagals best movie imo. man, was he thin in it lol. ive never been much of a jcvd fan tho. but i did like kickboxer.

Kickboxer takes the world’s biggest shit on Above the Law. Seagal probably wears black silk underwear.

Above the Law is the best martial arts movie ever made with a western star which would stand up purely on it's merits as an action filled crime drama.

Kickboxer is a 'd' level shitfest in comparison.

I'd rather rewatch Kickboxer, but I think they're both merely adequate action movies. Actually, I tend to get Steven Seagal movies confused. Above the Law is the one with Pam Grier? I don't know if it was even adequate. Pretty easy win for Kickboxer.

You need to take this back and go rewatch this masterpiece.

Above the Law is the best martial arts movie ever made with a western star which would stand up purely on it's merits as an action filled crime drama.

Kickboxer is a 'd' level shitfest in comparison.

Is it April 1 already?

Must be with the majority of the posts in this thread. Actively losing my faith in sherdoggers at this moment.

You've been around long enough to know that Mayberry is a safe haven for Van Damme but openly hostile toward the fat guy.

You've been around long enough to know that Mayberry is a safe haven for Van Damme but openly hostile toward the fat guy.

Usually the criticism of Sensei is well deserved but not acknowledging the superiority of his early work is blasphemous. Above the Law was a master class rookie performance.

Kickboxer. Do you know how much that movie re-invigorated the orthopedic industry due to little idiots kicking trees?

Usually the criticism of Sensei is well deserved but not acknowledging the superiority of his early work is blasphemous. Above the Law was a master class rookie performance.

I think it was worse than Under Siege, Hard to Kill and Out for Justice. It's possible Seagal's acting was better in Above the Law (I can't remember and I doubt there's a big difference) but the movie itself and the surrounding characters aren't anything to write home about.

All I can say is that, for anyone like myself, Bloodsport and Kickboxer felt almost like a gift from the gods themselves. And Van Damme seemed almost like a son of those gods.

Whereas all of Seagal's stuff just felt like kind of cool movies with that Aikido guy.

I think it was worse than Under Siege, Hard to Kill and Out for Justice. It's possible Seagal's acting was better in Above the Law (I can't remember and I doubt there's a big difference) but the movie itself and the surrounding characters aren't anything to write home about.
break-heart.gif

That's no insult to this film as those are all classic films but it's very clear to me that Nico sits on top of the Seagal throne.

For me, Above the Law.

break-heart.gif

That's no insult to this film as those are all classic films but it's very clear to me that Nico sits on top of the Seagal throne.

I have Under Siege as his best movie in a runaway. Second would probably by Executive Decision if that can be counted as a Seagal movie. The one where he's in a coma and Kelly LeBrock nurses him back to health would probably be #3 for me.

Back