going vegan or vegetarian!!!

Sounds good to me.

I become a vegetarian when I have to lose weight for competition. I'm 155 in the morning and need to become 148 lbs by August. This is what I eat during the day:

Meal #1: Shape cereal with blue berries and fat free milk
Meal #2: 2 whole grain waffles with peanut butter
Meal #3: 7 spinach nuggets
Meal #4: Broccoli with veggie burger and dressing
Meal #5: Kashi Protein/Fiber bar
Meal #6: Kashi Protein/Fiber bar

What do you guys think of my vegetarian diet?

My comment was towards health issues. And your logic is about making preferences and measuring pros and cons or morality which is again a personal issue.

Since when is sustainability an issue of morality? Measuing pros and cons uses basic logic, which your post in question said had no relevance in deciding to go vegetarian.

If your going vegan/vegetarian for good health your going vegetarian/vegan for the wrong reasons. It's easier to have a healthy diet eating meat then it is without. Now if you have some moral reason against eating meat you might as well just off yourself now because every one of us means the death of many animals due to logging,harvesting those plants you eat,human habitat ect. Oh wait, is your belief in killing animals is wrong only as proportionate as to how convenient said belief is? *end rant*

I become a vegetarian when I have to lose weight for competition. I'm 155 in the morning and need to become 148 lbs by August. This is what I eat during the day:

Meal #1: Shape cereal with blue berries and fat free milk
Meal #2: 2 whole grain waffles with peanut butter
Meal #3: 7 spinach nuggets
Meal #4: Broccoli with veggie burger and dressing
Meal #5: Kashi Protein/Fiber bar
Meal #6: Kashi Protein/Fiber bar

What do you guys think of my vegetarian diet?

I think you could drop the weight and save your muscles by not going vegetarian.

7 pounds in a month is really nothing and most could probably be crapped/pissed out the week of.

Since when is sustainability an issue of morality? Measuing pros and cons uses basic logic, which your post in question said had no relevance in deciding to go vegetarian.

It's an issue of morality since you made it one. You propose turning vegetarian as a logic conclusion in order to maintain sustainability, this proposal comes from a naive altruistic stance and therefore is a moral conclusion. In order for your proposal to be practical it must be made by all people, which brings us near to the categorical imperative. If you act out of different moral stances you come to other logic conclusions, like if we can feed only 3,5 billion people we must reduce the population to 3,5 billion, which is also logic.

can we put something in the FAQ about becoming vegetarian/vegan, it gets old seeing an argument every other day about it.

It's an issue of morality since you made it one. You propose turning vegetarian as a logic conclusion in order to maintain sustainability, this proposal comes from a naive altruistic stance and therefore is a moral conclusion. In order for your proposal to be practical it must be made by all people, which brings us near to the categorical imperative. If you act out of different moral stances you come to other logic conclusions, like if we can feed only 3,5 billion people we must reduce the population to 3,5 billion, which is also logic.

But we weren't talking about population reduction, we were talking about dietary choices.

I think what Kyryllo is saying is you can qualify anything as logical going by strict definition of the term, but he's speaking specifically of logic concerning advancing one's health and nutritional viability. I'm inclined to agree. Choosing to be vegetarian or vegan, rarely (a small percent of those who make the choice) is one made for health, and keep in-mind I question vegetarians/vegans on a routine basis. Most of the ones that make the decision for health ignore sufficient protein intake, don't distinguish simple from complex carbs or watch their insulin levels, and are unaware of the healthier fats to consume. Therefore, to say they made the decision to adjust their diet to be more healthy, is illogical. I've even had a number of them after pointing out (civilly) these holes in their logic and that their diet isn't all that healthy say to me "well, but meat is SOOOOOO bad for you, it's so much worse than what I'm doing." Er. Now I'm not saying there aren't those who don't fall into that stereotype, but the bulk of them I've interacted with are either rebelling for sake of rebellion and don't set an example of the glowing improvement the diet is supposed to make to their being, or are just coping with the fact that they can't handle that the Death cycle exists, and should exist, and that humans are part of it.

I did. Interesting reads. They didn't much answer many questions, what I got from them was that it's possible to be an athlete (specifically a female athlete) and progress using the ovo-lacto vegetarian diet, but that there are more general health concerns such as anemia.

I did. Interesting reads. They didn't much answer many questions, what I got from them was that it's possible to be an athlete (specifically a female athlete) and progress using the ovo-lacto vegetarian diet, but that there are more general health concerns such as anemia.

It was also almost exclusively about endurance, nothing about strength. I searched in some sports science data banks also in the Sports discus, which is the biggest databank for sports sources worldwide, and only found references to these two studies so it seems these were the only ones, the third one is from a medical databank. There are some other specific studies on ovo-lacto and vegans researching several deficiency symptoms and they actually say that ovo lacto vegetarian diet is okay but still inferior to a clean omnivores diet and that vegans are a waste of space:icon_chee

I think what Kyryllo is saying is you can qualify anything as logical going by strict definition of the term, but he's speaking specifically of logic concerning advancing one's health and nutritional viability. I'm inclined to agree. Choosing to be vegetarian or vegan, rarely (a small percent of those who make the choice) is one made for health, and keep in-mind I question vegetarians/vegans on a routine basis. Most of the ones that make the decision for health ignore sufficient protein intake, don't distinguish simple from complex carbs or watch their insulin levels, and are unaware of the healthier fats to consume. Therefore, to say they made the decision to adjust their diet to be more healthy, is illogical. I've even had a number of them after pointing out (civilly) these holes in their logic and that their diet isn't all that healthy say to me "well, but meat is SOOOOOO bad for you, it's so much worse than what I'm doing." Er. Now I'm not saying there aren't those who don't fall into that stereotype, but the bulk of them I've interacted with are either rebelling for sake of rebellion and don't set an example of the glowing improvement the diet is supposed to make to their being, or are just coping with the fact that they can't handle that the Death cycle exists, and should exist, and that humans are part of it.

If that was his intention, then I agree (as I stated in earlier posts). You can understand my confusion when responding to a statement as all encompassing as, "There's no logical reasons to become a vegetarian, only personal."

If that was his intention, then I agree (as I stated in earlier posts). You can understand my confusion when responding to a statement as all encompassing as, "There's no logical reasons to become a vegetarian, only personal."

I made clear that my post was about using logic in terms of receiving healthier nutrition, when I said:

My comment was towards health issues.
Which must be pretty obvious, since it is a Dieting / Supplement Discussion and not Sociology/Agrculture/Global Food Economy Discussion from where your logic argument derived.

In fact, a lot of what we've evolved and developed isn't in sync with evolution.

i know a lot has already been said in this lovely thread, but that is the stupidest fucking thing i have ever read in my life. that makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. jesus christ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back