Going to the Philippines in a week.

Was just thinking about that common "shithole" reference recently. I've been in country for 8 years, but am just now really exploring Manila.

IMO the reference is a bit overstated and mainly due to most travelers seeing only the gritty areas near the airport and red light districts. They're basically disappointed that a capital city doesn't resemble Cancun.

Yeah that’s probably true, I remember getting stuck there for a few days on one trip and looking for things to do and one of the highest rated things was like a tour of different churches or some shit.

I guess I just don’t get going to the phillipines for vacation and using Manila for anything more than an airport hub. I got there for the beaches and the diving, I’ll never stay in Manila again because it just seems like a waste of time.

Go to bohol, cebu, boracay, el nido etc.

Going to coron for some island hopping.
Keep a life vest nearby if you travel by boat. Those things sink quite often. Even if u can swim, most Filipinos cannot, and they will drag u down with them.

Food is fine in Manila. There's a lot of different options. If you're Filipino you're probably not going to get sick eating anything.

The bad thing about Manila is the traffic. It's terrible.

Food is fine in Manila. There's a lot of different options. If you're Filipino you're probably not going to get sick eating anything.

The bad thing about Manila is the traffic. It's terrible.
I'm American so am a bit nervous about what not to eat.

I'm American so am a bit nervous about what not to eat.

You probably still won't get sick eating anything. When I went to the Philippines I got an upset stomach twice. Once because of dairy in a dessert. I become lactose intolerant if I don't eat dairy for a while. And after eating a certain variety of crab. Just that crab, i ate around 5 different types of crabs and it was just that one.

Better stay in Palawan than going here in Manila. This place is shit

The restaurants at the Mall were secured and much cleaner than the street shops. The Century City Mall area is blocked off from the beggers and street people.

I ate at Outback because I wanted a good steak. This was my other option that everyone bragged about. I wasn't impressed with the sanitary conditions of the meat.
View attachment 384245
Sanitary conditions and cleanliness are not an indication of better food.

No offence but you sound pretty uptight to travel in a developing country.

To TS: Relax your standards a little, ur in southeast Asia man.. Loosen up. Your bowels will loosen up too but overall you will have a better time.
;)

Edit: don't try pagpag tho

I hear they shoot you if you sing "My Way" badly at karaoke.

Sanitary conditions and cleanliness are not an indication of better food.

No offence but you sound pretty uptight to travel in a developing country.

To TS: Relax your standards a little, ur in southeast Asia man.. Loosen up. Your bowels will loosen up too but overall you will have a better time.
;)

Edit: don't try pagpag tho
Only been to 日本 in Asia、山田さん。

Only been to 日本 in Asia、山田さん。
I'm not a Japanese it's just a screen name <45> but I was just there too. I love it a lot, especially the people.

Curious as to reason why you chose to go to the Phillipines? Thailand ane Bali/ other spots would be more popular.
From what I heard Palawan is a great diving spot tho.
And why such a short trip? If you aren't in Asia it's a long way to to for a week.

I
I'm not a Japanese it's just a screen name <45> but I was just there too. I love it a lot, especially the people.

Curious as to reason why you chose to go to the Phillipines? Thailand ane Bali/ other spots would be more popular.
From what I heard Palawan is a great diving spot tho.
And why such a short trip? If you aren't in Asia it's a long way to to for a week.
I have a friend from there. ;)

The quality of pretty much everything won't compare to Japan, since Japan is top notch at most things. The Philippines was not my favorite country but great natural scenery and lady boys if you're into that.

Maybe see if you can meet up with that creepy sherdogger with the raper face who lives there. He’ll show you around.

You probably still won't get sick eating anything. When I went to the Philippines I got an upset stomach twice. Once because of dairy in a dessert. I become lactose intolerant if I don't eat dairy for a while. And after eating a certain variety of crab. Just that crab, i ate around 5 different types of crabs and it was just that one.

The only times I got sick in the phillipines was from drinking way the fuck too much.

If you're gonna have eggs for breakfast, be careful what eggs you buy.

You might end up getting balut. a.k.a. aborted chick in a shell

My uncle's gf is Filipina and made a bunch of food for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Hardly any of it was touched. I put some on my plate and took two bites but that's all I could stomach. I felt bad for her because she is marrying into our family and she was proud to show us some of her culture's cuisine.

That is the extent of my experience with Filipino food. Between that and knowing about Balut I'd say I'm not inclined to ever have any again and I'm not a picky eater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back