Going to the bathroom after a protein shake

ImNotUrFrend

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok i got a question. Lets say i get done working out then i drink a protein shake. and then right after i get done drinking it, i take a shit, does the drink not help me anymore. cuz lately my stomachs been killin me after i drink a protein shake, Thanks in advance

If you eat a sandwich and take a shit right after, is your stomach empty?

Hint: ...No.

What protein do you drink? How much? Do you eat veggies? Drink more water.

You might have a weak stomach because your digestion isn't used to increased protein. A big change in diet takes some getting used to. Some guys eat no veggies and no fruit and when they begin to eat healthy, they have some digestion problems for a week or so. Does that mean fruits and veggies are bad for you? (Hint: No.)

100% Whey protein, i drink about 2 scoops so 40 grams after i workout

How long have you been taking your protein? Started recently? How long have you had the stomach problems? Same timeline? I think you're just adjusting to increased protein. Most guys will have some gas going on which is likely why your gut feels unhappy. Gas makes pressure and pressure makes discomfort. A lot of guys get protein farts from increased protein intake but that goes away once your system settles out.

Drinking more water helps keep your waste system flushed out and clear. It will help to release a lot of pressure your change in diet puts on your kidneys and liver too.

Give it another week or two, and keep your water intake going. If you spend a lot of time at a desk or computer then get a big-ass mug. I have a bunch of nice mugs from Germany, all atleast 1 liter deep and I keep them around. I'm always drinking and I don't even notice.

I used to have the same problem. I used to take GNC 100% Whey and it gave me protein farts/made me shit. I switched to ON 100% and supposedly it has specific digestive amino acids that help which they call Aminogens... but since I switched it doesn't make me shit/protein farts.

If you take ISOPURE make sure to get some carbs in as well. Eat a banana or some fruit and veggies.

No, don't try Isopure. Dear fucking God, who said that? PT Sandman? You're in timeout.

See what Sambo said? Digestive problems can often be fixed with a course of action as simple as this: try a different protein powder.

Make sure to get at least twice as many carbs as protein with that shake. The protein alone will help fight catabolism, but since I estimate you didn't just bust your ass for two hours to only NOT lose muscle, you should consume the carbs.

I can't believe I'm writing it this way, but:
Protein PWO= Anti-catabolic
Protein + Carb PWO= Anabolic

Make sure you're eating enough fiber throughout the day. Fiborous fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc.

Also, consider changing your brand of protein.

Madmick said:
Make sure to get at least twice as many carbs as protein with that shake. The protein alone will help fight catabolism, but since I estimate you didn't just bust your ass for two hours to only NOT lose muscle, you should consume the carbs.

I can't believe I'm writing it this way, but:
Protein PWO= Anti-catabolic
Protein + Carb PWO= Anabolic

What's a good way to add carbs to a protein shake?

i just drink a protein shake, then drink a gatorade for the carbs :redface:

jadams said:

A good way to add carbs would be to add a banana, or fat free yogurt might be good too although I have never tried that. Or you could just drink your shake and eat an apple.

I personally like to drink my PWO protein shake like a beverage along with a starchy carb meal after the workout. Don't go nuts on the starches, but PWO is the best time to take them.

Starchy carbs = grains, bread (wheat, no plain white bullshit), 'tatters (no chips, and I prefer sweet tatters/yams for taste and nutrition).

Think of every choice is a chance to improve, in the weight room and in the kitchen.

So a bowl of oats is good. Soon, I'm going to try Chad's Kichri dish (in the Sticky Recipie Thread - brown rice, mug beans, and curry spices). You also need a veggie source with your PWO meal if you can fit it. Veggies with every meal and no exceptions.

jadams said:
Yeah, the gatorade is a great idea, or the fruit. Typically, the powder guys add (to have an all-in-one PWO powder) is dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

Back