Going to Austin for the first time

@mb23100 Austin is awesome, man. Most of the best BBQ is outside the city limits, so head out there at least once. Try East 6th at least once, but it's a very college and tourist scene. Those bars will be full of younger folks (<25), but there is live music all over the place. If you're a little older and not interested in trying to pick up college seniors, head down to West 6th. There are a few bars where you can get good live music, such as the Rattle Inn. West 5th Street can be fun as well. Rainey Street is a low-key hidden gem to the city.

For stuff in the day, Barton Springs, Mount Bonnell, paddleboarding in the river, swimming at Hamilton Pool (make a reservation early!), and the ever-present festivals (look up what's in town) are always good fun.

The Portland of the southwest.

I didn't know Austin has an F1 track. That shit's boring and intense at the same time. Enjoy. I didn't and I did.

I live in Portland and I always hear people say this

Last edited:
Stay near downtown. There is nothing near the track.
Don't go to franklin's bbq. It is over rated. You will stand in a line for 4 hours and be underwhelmed.
Food is great on 5th street.
Bars on 6th street.
Don't feed the homeless. They will bite. I give them cigarettes but I don't smoke. I buy a pack when I know I am going there.
There will be lots of live music and outdoor concerts with formula one in town.

Make sure you leave when it is all over. We don't want your kind living here...........Just kidding.

I’ll be there, sherbro.

I just moved here two months ago.

Great city.

Headed to Austin in October. Was going for the weekend to see the Formula 1 race but decided to make a week out of it. Looking to spend 6 days there. Any advice is appreciated. Hotels close to the track? Food? Museums? Random shit to do? I've never been there or to Texas for that matter.

Also anyone who has been to Circuit of the America's with seating advice would also be appreciated

I was planning to ride a trackday there May 26th, but broke my bloody hip a week before in a bicycle accident. $550 down the drain as I gave it to some other goon to ride. When I googled mapped the nearby Hotels, the cheap ones were in Bastrop. Bastrop is kinda shitty though. For the money you could have did a driving school in Vegas.
https://www.vore.com/
MikeWilsonJumpShot1.jpg

https://www.andrettiracing.com/mario-andretti-racing-experience-las-vegas-motor-speedway/

http://www.dreamracing.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrdKKxtXT2wIVA5ppCh2HLwqnEAAYAiAAEgL7OvD_BwE
https://speedvegas.com/en/?kw=+raci...MIrdKKxtXT2wIVA5ppCh2HLwqnEAAYBCAAEgKSUfD_BwE
https://www.wheretraveler.com/las-vegas/play/get-adrenaline-rush-these-4-las-vegas-racing-schools

But, sometimes you wanna get out.

Austin is --- Not too fun to drive through.

Check out Bob Schneider if he's in town when you're there. He plays at Antones quite a lot and is one of the better singer songwriters from Austin.

Food in Austin isn't as good as Vegas.

Lotta fucking Bums and wannabe hipsters in Austin.

They got a place called Barton Springs, which used to be nice 20 years ago
1d7bc270-327d-42f6-a5d7-85c69c922f7b-e1497016930505.jpg

Every year Austin hosts a Giant Brazilian Carnival (just not in October)
o.jpg

In 6 days you'll prolly be ready to either run the fuck outa there or relocate. I suspect the former though...

Good luck. COTA is supposed to be a nice track, prolly much more enjoyable to drive/ride on than just watch, but hey it is the only F1 track in America.

How do you keep getting stuck in Texas?

Lol Houston and now Austin...

The lone star state won’t leave me alone!

I just came back down here for work. I definitely prefer Austin over Houston BUT unexpectedly the allergies are kicking my ass. Didn’t see that coming.

I bought a place just north of the city and my dollar went about twice as far as it would back home. I definitely see the market continuing to rise at least for a few years and then it’s back up to the north east again before probably coming back to Texas.

i heard amy was back in austin
I figured she'd gone back to Austin because she talked about it all the time.
It was almost a year before she called him up
Three rings and an answering machine is what she got

I never liked Austin.
The city is very tiny! And way too overcrowded.

Best metropolitan areas of Texas are Dallas & Houston.

Amen

And 6th street is the world star hip hop capital of the world

Soooooo many obnoxious drunks

The water is good though

Paddle board lady bird

Lol Houston and now Austin...

The lone star state won’t leave me alone!

I just came back down here for work. I definitely prefer Austin over Houston BUT unexpectedly the allergies are kicking my ass. Didn’t see that coming.

I bought a place just north of the city and my dollar went about twice as far as it would back home. I definitely see the market continuing to rise at least for a few years and then it’s back up to the north east again before probably coming back to Texas.

Yeah, Real Estate and usually food is less here, so you'll end up making a profit.

The drive to Marble Falls on 1431 isn't terrible if you have a motorcycle or sports car, when it get's cooler Fredricksburg, Bandera, Kerrville, areas are nice sometimes. (For Texas!) But at least in Austin you're at the start of the better stuff rather than Houston, (the asshole of Texas)

Nimitz museum And Enchanted Rock are pretty neat.

1200px-Nimitz_Museum%2C_Fredericksburg%2C_Texas.JPG

enchanted-rock_0784.jpg

Back