Going back to Training (After Lasik and Jaw Surgery)

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by nem8685, Mar 13, 2017.

1. nem8685 White Belt

nem8685
    Can this be done safely? I mean I talked to the surgeon and he said My jaw is as strong as before but didn't directly ask about Kickboxing or Boxing. I used to train before and I also fought once at the amateur level before I had these procedures.. Also in the mean time what Is a good way to weight train for kickboxing ?

2. pakho White Belt

pakho
    RE Lasik, I'm also near-sighted so this is something I've also looked into. Almost all sources say not to do contact sports after Lasik because the procedure involves cutting a flap in the cornea, which becomes vulnerable to injury post-operation. Would be grateful if you could share your own experience now with sparring, etc. if you have done any. I do know a coach who fought a match after Lasik, but he needed to do it for the paycheck and went into the ring knowing there was a serious risk to his vision.

I believe Lasik is not the only option of vision correction surgery. There is another type of vision correction surgery called Advanced Surface Ablation that does not cut a cornea flap, and therefore allows contact sports post-operation. The downside is that it's a more painful surgery and there is a longer recovery period, but this seems like a small tradeoff compared to never being able to spar anymore.

3. nem8685 White Belt

nem8685
    I have already finished the procedure both of them and have not done any sparring or anything since then.

4. nem8685 White Belt

nem8685
    I am reading about fighters like Derek Brunson he had Lasik done and seems fine.. but Im not sure... I mean I love the sport and feel the benefits of it for depression and anxiety and physical fitness are really important to me.

5. SpawnOfNyarlathotep I trigger people

SpawnOfNyarlathotep
    I was planning on operating my eyes a few years back and the doctor said that if I planned on doing any sparring afterwards then I should go for LASEK instead of LASIK, so that there would be no scar tissue on the eyes. I ended up not doing the operation because LASEK's recovery time is like one week of constant pain...