Going Back To School In Your Late 20s

Until_Valhalla

Son Of Odin
@White
Reaction score
Hello all, over the past few months I've given serious thought to returning to school and finally getting my degree once and for all. Long story short, I got sidetracked by my folks back in 2010 over some inheritance problem and lost my tuition money and have been working at my cousin's insurance company getting paid $20.00 to manage paperwork, take phone calls, etc. I certainly don't want to spend the rst of my years in this position(my cousin has been very understanding and generous to me throughout these years, don't get me wrong) and want to eventually be my own boss but tat this juncture it's hard for me to decide on a career path with a good ROI. Any advice/help is obviously appreciated.

There's no point wasting money if you don't know what you want to do. I had a similar conversation with my kid a few months back over what she wants to study when she eventually goes to college. I sat her down and told her straight - Law, nursing, banking, teaching, or anything that gives her a solid trade is acceptable. Media studies, social sciences, potato painting, feminist jazz, or any other type of participation degree is not. Anyway, you should take your time and think about you want to do, then find the quickest and most cost effective way of doing it.

When having a conversation with someone, you do like 90% of the talking, right?

More and more people are going back to school at an older age. There is no shame in that. Find a topic that intrigues you, if its history, sociology, math or scienc, just go for it.

I went back to school last year at 28 for the first time in about 7-8 years. I'm not really the book learning type and I still struggle with studying, but it beats working shitty jobs and will ultimately lead to something better paying.

I went back this past year at almost 24. Sucks, and I'll probably just make it through with a 2.0, and I'll hate my life, but hopefully I'll have a 70k programming job come out of it.

There's no point wasting money if you don't know what you want to do. I had a similar conversation with my kid a few months back over what she wants to study when she eventually goes to college. I sat her down and told her straight - Law, nursing, banking, teaching, or anything that gives her a solid trade is acceptable. Media studies, social sciences, potato painting, feminist jazz, or any other type of participation degree is not. Anyway, you should take your time and think about you want to do, then find the quickest and most cost effective way of doing it.

I like all things gym/strength related as I compete in strongman(what Mountain from GOT does but obviously not at an elite level like him) so I was looking into the exercise physiology field or related areas. Again, I want a degree to give me the ability to earn a good income and do something I love at the same time.

I went back in my late 20's. - I also had a plan and career path- I would not take on student loan debt unles you have a solid plan and a career chosen- there is nothing noble about obtaining debt for a useless degree just for the sake of saying you got a degree - I would advise an "adult learner", as you'll be referred as, to learn a trade, health care, or something that will help you make $$, using your degree. Avoid social studies, liberal arts, and other worthless pursuits.

I like all things gym/strength related as I compete in strongman(what Mountain from GOT does but obviously not at an elite level like him) so I was looking into the exercise physiology field or related areas. Again, I want a degree to give me the ability to earn a good income and do something I love at the same time.
Unless you want to be a schmuck that works as a personal trainer, at a 24 hr fitness center, stay away from that degree- they are a dime a dozen- One of the top 10 areas of study to steer clear of- Unless you want to be poor all your life.

Former ex phys major here. Avoid it. Not worth it at all, unless you are damn certain you can turn that into a doctorate in physical therapy. Even then, not worth it.

Hello all, over the past few months I've given serious thought to returning to school and finally getting my degree once and for all. Long story short, I got sidetracked by my folks back in 2010 over some inheritance problem and lost my tuition money and have been working at my cousin's insurance company getting paid $20.00 to manage paperwork, take phone calls, etc. I certainly don't want to spend the rst of my years in this position(my cousin has been very understanding and generous to me throughout these years, don't get me wrong) and want to eventually be my own boss but tat this juncture it's hard for me to decide on a career path with a good ROI. Any advice/help is obviously appreciated.

i just doubled your likes bro

If you are going back to school in your late 20's or early 30's, you need to know what you want to do and have a laser sharp focus on that area. You are not a young adult anymore, and you don't have the time to fuck around trying to find what suits you. When you're at this stage of your life, you only get 1 chance to make a major move in your career field, so it's make or break time. If you're not sure what you want, I'd advice against going back to school until you actually plan this out.

Think about it this way. If you decided you want to do something highly specialized (doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, science researchers etc) today, you will be at least in your late 30's or early 40's by the time you finish your education. It's your last shot, so know where you are aiming and make it count.

I'm in my mid 30's and have been going back to school part time as work and family does not allow full time. In 14 classes I have been the oldest in only 2 of them. However, as someone said, the window for you to fuck around, not take things seriously is very small the older you get, and the more responsibility you have.

I went back to school at 24 and got my degree at 29..

My advice.. get a STEM degree. Don't get a Liberal Arts degree

When I went through CS in university one of the students in my classes was a dude in his 40s. It's never too late if you are serious about it and see it as an investment.

I am mulling over a change in careers right now actually (mid 30s) but if I went back it actually might be for something airy fairy I'm actually interested in, since I already have a "real" degree.

I went back to school at 26 and wrote a mid term on my 30th birthday.

I'd avoid going to school for that. If you're interested in giving training a shot, I'd think about getting certified (I believe NASM is the big one). Certification and being big and strong/looking muscular will be enough to get you hired in most gyms. Though unless you can build a good base of clients, pay probably won't be great.

Back