Gohkan Saki: overrated or undersized?

Might be a case of both, but I wouldn't say he was undersized against Khalil.

Rountree has fought at MW before, he's by no means a big LHW. Not to mention that Saki has fought plenty of HWs in Kickboxing.

Undersized and i think he's kinda past his prime. don't get me wrong, i still think Saki is a serious threat but if he keeps getting punched like that specially against people like Costa, Adesanya even Romero he's done.

Both. But mostly overrated. That little K1 striking stuff doesn't hold up in a real fight.

Neither. It's just the fact that he's seen too many wars.

Overconfident too, he comes across as very arrogant and cocky, see his pre fight interviews before the Rountree fight. He thought it would be so easy.

in terms of size he did look noticeably smaller than his UFC debut, which is kinda weird.

The guy should try 185... has some extra weight he could lose. But give him time... Mirko got to increase his skills against bums.

Overconfident? :yes he was!
What really surprised me was the way he threw that kick without expecting a straight hand counter,a staple defense against leg kicks.That one was a mistake you'd expect from a rookie kick boxer,not from a seasoned vet like him!
In kick boxing he'd get a break after a knock down like that,but not in mma,another factor that should be taken into consideration.

The guy should try 185... has some extra weight he could lose. But give him time... Mirko got to increase his skills against bums.
Mirko crossed over when he was still young, the sport had low level talent and did not have the wars Saki had. Plus, if Mirko crossed over in today's landscape he would get annihilated. Heck, he got KO'd by Schaub when he had more strict testing!

He's old and has probably had 5000 concussions. He'll be fun to watch but there's no reason to expect him to suddenly become great at MMA. Cutting to 185 won't do him any good, he'd lose any speed advantage he might have and be more drained. Just enjoy the show.

Most kickboxers aren't used to their opponents actually employing footwork

dutch style of glass cannon kickboxing, winging haymakers in the pocket and shit doesn't work in mma because they don't have ten pound pillows to hide their weak chins behind. bear in mind Alistair Doneareem won a k-1 belt and his lights get shut off if he farts too loud

Might be a case of both, but I wouldn't say he was undersized against Khalil.

Rountree has fought at MW before, he's by no means a big LHW. Not to mention that Saki has fought plenty of HWs in Kickboxing.

A guy who is can barely crack 100k in win money

I think he is neither. The counter was hard and accurate, it would, at the very least, hurt most guys.

i liked sakis striking in his first UFC fight.
he looked more like that he had smth like a blackout against rountree, he doesnt throw one punch.

saki made an kickboxer defense move, which only works in big gloves. rountree caught him with the left after saki got dropped he was mentally stunned.. it was weird to watch.. i think that had nothing do to with skill, it looked more like a psychological thing.

He tried one left hook but it looked slow and like he didn’t even mean it. Usually it’s lightning fast. I believe it’s more because he misread Khalil’s movement and realized just as he was throwing it he wouldn’t had landed it. Still, you can tell most posters have no idea wtf they’re talking about.

Back